Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 08:29 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
2Bros is actually pretty good for 1 dollar

They used to do .75 cent slices in some spots
Now that's going beyond the beyonds. I don't trust food that is sold too cheaply. I would be thinking why are they trying to basically "give" it away? Because they know it's no good and has been sitting in a deep freezer in China somewhere for the past five years but now they've got to move the inventory so they ship it to the USA and save money by letting it thaw out on the ride over then re-heat it and sell it for .75 cents a slice. How much is the whole pie, $2.00? No thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 08:37 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,563 times
Default Preach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
One thing I've learned- most pizzerias will sell you premade dough if you ask. A lot of the bigger grocery stores also have it. I grab that and some fresh mozzarella. Everything else I have on hand usually. I use Rachel Ray's pizza sauce recipe and freeze it in big batches. Then I break out the pizza stone and turn up the oven as hot as I can get it. Bake, add a drizzle of olive oil and some fresh basil (I grow mine on the windowsill). It's cheap and delish... plus nice to have when you don't feel like paying for delivery or going out. I can make 10 slices for like $5 total and they're excellent. If you're willing to make the dough from scratch it's even cheaper. I refuse to eat pizza that's been sitting in a window for God-knows-how-long... it's just usually not that good and has made me sick on more than one occasion. There are obviously exceptions but overall that's my experience. I'm getting to the point where I'm going to start making my own dough as well. Once you learn about organic vs. regular it kind of wakes you up as to what you're really putting in your body. Businesses are concerned with profit, not your health. The sauce is typically loaded in cheaper slices with huge amounts of sugar and salt. There is zero nutritional value to the dough and it is full of pesticides, GMOs, and is bleached. The cheese is generally not even real cheese but mostly oil and additives. There's no 'deal' in that, it just wreaks havoc on the body.
Well you just broke it down AND gave us a lesson on how to make our own healthy pizza! Seriously, thanks.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:39 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Dollar slices aren't great, but serviceable. There's this weird nice median I've found of places that charge 2.50 or less, but don't pride themselves on being dollar slices that have always seemed to the best value around. Rosario's deli is one of several I've been to that have been great. It's the kind of slice that's almost worth traveling to. It seems to me that once you are in the position where you are advertising about dollar slices, you're really going for the drunk and down contingent, regardless of the price.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-11-2017 at 09:10 PM..

Old 04-12-2017, 05:26 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF Gauss View Post
If you're at 116th and 3rd, why not just walk over a few blocks and go to Patsy's?

Last time I checked, slices were $1.75 (Have they gone up?)

Patsy's slices are small-ish, but the massive upgrade in quality (from "mediocre-plus" to "arguably the best in the city") makes up for the small size and extra 75 cents, IMO
Hey CF, I apologize. You're right when u stated that slices at Patsys are $1.75. I said they weren't. I stand corrected. I went in Patsys and discovered my error

Old 04-14-2017, 02:03 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
The thing is that there is a false sense that the $2.50 and up is always better. Trust me it ain't. There are a lot of crappy pizza places that charge regular price. I really started noticing the huge quality drop off in the early 2000s.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:09 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Now that's going beyond the beyonds. I don't trust food that is sold too cheaply. I would be thinking why are they trying to basically "give" it away? Because they know it's no good and has been sitting in a deep freezer in China somewhere for the past five years but now they've got to move the inventory so they ship it to the USA and save money by letting it thaw out on the ride over then re-heat it and sell it for .75 cents a slice. How much is the whole pie, $2.00? No thank you.
My thoughts exactly, but people LOVE cheap. The math simply doesn't add up at some point.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:10 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
I think everyone who is wary of paying too little for his slices should just toss in $2 per slice into the tip jar and feel better about the whole thing.

I guess that helps explain the doofs buying Rolex watches that keep time less well than a Timex.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:17 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
If you can actually find them that cheap, they're usually the same crap the other places charge $2.50 for.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:23 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I think everyone who is wary of paying too little for his slices should just toss in $2 per slice into the tip jar and feel better about the whole thing.

I guess that helps explain the doofs buying Rolex watches that keep time less well than a Timex.
Rolex is overpriced and overrated certainly but there is nothing wrong with appreciating a fine mechanical watch.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:21 AM

782 posts, read 527,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The thing is that there is a false sense that the $2.50 and up is always better. Trust me it ain't. There are a lot of crappy pizza places that charge regular price. I really started noticing the huge quality drop off in the early 2000s.
There is definitely a lot of crap at the $2.50-3.00/slice level in NYC. But enough good places if you know where to go that there isn't a need to drop to the $1/slice places. I tried one of the dollar places once because people were telling me that it was decent enough and I couldn't believe how bad it was.

Like someone else mentioned, the better places are generally ones that have been around a long time and still owned by Italians. Look into the outer borough neighborhoods that still have a decent-sized Italian American population or better yet, some long island and new Jersey towns for a more consistent good slice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City