Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 09:13 AM

757 posts, read 1,103,215 times

Advertisements

Hi CityData,

I need some help.

Lately I've been thinking that I want to go into business for myself.

My goal is to purchase a laundromat here in NYC, but I've never purchased/started a business before.

My biggest problem at the moment is that I have no collateral nor do I have the necessary funds for a down payment on a loan.

I look at some of the small businesses here in the city and couldn't imagine these owners having $35,000-$75,000 dollars just lying around. They must have gotten the money from somewhere.

I'm very persistent and know the value of hard work, this is what I really want.

Can anyone provide any advice on how I can get started??

Thank you.

Jonathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 09:15 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Department of Consumer Affairs

www.legalzoom.com

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-11-2018, 09:17 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
Hi CityData,

I need some help.

Lately I've been thinking that I want to go into business for myself.

My goal is to purchase a laundromat here in NYC, but I've never purchased/started a business before.

My biggest problem at the moment is that I have no collateral
<>
No, your biggest problem is you have no knowledge. Go work in a laundry for a couple of months and report back.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
No, your biggest problem is you have no knowledge. Go work in a laundry for a couple of months and report back.
I worked in a laundromat for 1 year when I was 14...

Old 01-11-2018, 10:16 AM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Is this serious?

Old 01-11-2018, 10:42 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Is this serious?
I hope not.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:55 AM

Can you people just guide me instead of being judgmental?

Thank you.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:03 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
Can you people just guide me instead of being judgmental?

Thank you.
In order to run a business, you need to know the basic background of the business you are going into. First, you need to know inside out of how the business function. Second, you need to know how many people to hire. Third, you need to have a pretty good estimate of the total cost on a monthly basis. Fourth, you need to have a reserve fund for emergency purpose, like a sudden breakdown of an equipment. Fifth, who is your backup if you can't be there.

People who commented on your thread think is a joke because you didn't do your research before you start a business. Business doesn't run smooth without a good plan. You have to nearly do all the small tiny little thing when you start a business, like sweep the floor and mop the floor, and maybe fix pipe on your own, etc...

I can tell you this, most people who started business, they have to work in that industry first. Once you work for long enough to know everything (nearly everything, and I mean really nearly everything), then you can start. The next step would be getting capital, meaning you have to get money to pay for all those upfront costs before you even open the business. Some people borrow moneys from relatives, and some takes loan out of a bank.

Hope this clarify a bit for you.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
In order to run a business, you need to know the basic background of the business you are going into. First, you need to know inside out of how the business function. Second, you need to know how many people to hire. Third, you need to have a pretty good estimate of the total cost on a monthly basis. Fourth, you need to have a reserve fund for emergency purpose, like a sudden breakdown of an equipment. Fifth, who is your backup if you can't be there.

People who commented on your thread think is a joke because you didn't do your research before you start a business. Business doesn't run smooth without a good plan. You have to nearly do all the small tiny little thing when you start a business, like sweep the floor and mop the floor, and maybe fix pipe on your own, etc...

I can tell you this, most people who started business, they have to work in that industry first. Once you work for long enough to know everything (nearly everything, and I mean really nearly everything), then you can start. The next step would be getting capital, meaning you have to get money to pay for all those upfront costs before you even open the business. Some people borrow moneys from relatives, and some takes loan out of a bank.

Hope this clarify a bit for you.
Yes, but I didn't start the business. This is just something that I aspire to do in the near future. I know I have to draw up a business plan, sales projections, and a maintenance plan. I'm a little far off from all of that right now.

I'm going to do ALL my homework and put my heart into learning everything I need to know about the business. This is not something I just want to jump into without a plan, im sorry if I gave that impression.

Everything you mentioned I plan to do, but based on my research the biggest obstacle for me will be getting the loan.

I have good credit, however I don't own any assets nor do I have collateral. Based on what I read the banks want a 10-30% down payment for the loan. I'm 27 years old and I aspire to go into business for myself someday, but I don't have a job that will help me save for the necessary funds. Hence why I want to start my own business. I want to put my faith into my own hands.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:50 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
OP - you are very vague in your experience in regards to work experience, management experience ,etc.

Do you know anything about managing/running a business?

Are you currently working now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: