Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 08:14 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times

Advertisements

If you don't want to live around Russians then you should move to a different neighborhood. Maybe you would like Sunset Park more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 08:18 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Brandwein View Post
To my Russian neighbors in Brighton Beach:
What, the "Blacks of Bed Stuy" and "Flushing Koreans" thread titles were already taken??

Old 04-03-2017, 08:35 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
80% of old Russian Jews are scamming the government for section 8, Ssi etc. never work here or pay taxes yet live like Kings . Eating expensive food going on cruises on tax Payer dime. Moochers and I support them.
Not at all correct. Most of the elderly are on a Federal program that was created during the Cold War so Russians in Russia would see how great the USA was. Anyone who lives in NYC, knows pretty well once a program starts it never ends until the original people who were on it die off. No one in NYC turns down anything that is nearly free especially when no strings are attached.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:45 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It works both ways. The Russians for whatever reason have become rather xenophobic down there. Not all but some. I can recall years ago that it wasn't like that. I grew up knowing quite a few Russians and they were cool and open to everyone (or so it seemed). May be due to what's going on in Russia and their racist attitudes spreading here. On the other hand, some Russians have expressed concern about Hispanic gangs in Brighton Beach trying to take over and using scare tactics to run the Russians out. What's your take on that?

I will say that I always find it odd when groups like Russians and Hispanics are racist towards other groups. It's no secret that a lot of the Russians here are Russian Jews who complain about being oppressed historically or fleeing to escape oppression back home and then they turn around and use racist measures against other groups (mainly non-white ones). Then you have Mexicans and other Latino groups that are quick to yell racism but do the same nonsense to Blacks (especially) and other non-Latinos. I remember not that long ago there was a lot of nonsense going on between Dominicans and Blacks. The Dominicans thought they were better than the Blacks and you had a lot of "racial" animosity. That has improved a bit too now that more Dominicans have been here for a while and see that they aren't viewed any more better than Blacks, especially since a lot of Dominicans have a substantial amount of black mixture in them, even the light skinned ones.
I agree it's very strange when Russians (immigrants themselves) are racist against other immigrant groups.
I think it's about racism: many of the Russians feel superior because while they are immigrants, "at least we are white."
It's pretty disgusting.

Also, not sure there is SO much difference between Russian Jews and Russian Christians (not sure about Russian Muslims, of which there are also a lot). True, some of the Russian Jews identify first as Jews and second as Muslims. But some are very very Russian. Plus lots of Russian Jews marry Russian Christians, that's not uncommon either.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:47 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I agree it's very strange when Russians (immigrants themselves) are racist against other immigrant groups.
Or racists against themselves - have you been to the Caribbean??

Old 04-04-2017, 12:15 PM

212 posts, read 135,997 times
Brighton Beach has seemingly attracted a much lower class of immigrant the past ten years or so from both Russia and from the former Russian/Soviet republics in Central Asia. I find them to be very coarse and lowbrow. They're a race of Borats.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:10 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastion79 View Post
Brighton Beach has seemingly attracted a much lower class of immigrant the past ten years or so from both Russia and from the former Russian/Soviet republics in Central Asia. I find them to be very coarse and lowbrow. They're a race of Borats.
It's the same class that arrived in the 70's. It's that these are not getting the entitlements that the Russian Jews got during the cold war. They are heading to this neighborhood based on old US propaganda. Surprise!

Old 04-04-2017, 06:16 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Anyone who lives in NYC, knows pretty well once a program starts it never ends until the original people who were on it die off.
#facts

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-04-2017, 09:40 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastion79 View Post
lol Borats!!

Old 04-05-2017, 04:25 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Lol Russians don't even like each other half the time. Russia is a biggggggggg country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City