Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 01:55 PM

4,768 posts, read 6,555,721 times

Advertisements

I have another friend who rents out half of her one-bedroom. She puts up flyers at the NYU Dental School and has had success with finding people who are there only during the school year (if that's appealing to you) or else someone who is so busy that the person isn't in the apartment that much!

On the other hand, I think a medical student or a resident (medical as opposed to dental) might have strange hours and come and go at odd times.

And as you say, there are people who need to be in the city for only a few nights out of the week, and you can aim for that.

I have a rent-stabilized apartment also. About half the units in my building are no longer stabilized and go for astronomical rents. I'm going to try to hang on to mine for as long as I can!

My landlord loves the temporary walls because he can advertise a one-bedroom as a "flex two-bedroom" and charge higher rents. He had a fight with the city over the temporary walls but they reached an agreement a couple of years ago, so now there's an approved one. They actually look quite nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 05:15 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Misery.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:54 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,884,494 times
Is it a 2 bedroom? What floor? You should have no issues in finding someone.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:56 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
I didn't mean to come of as insensitive. If you have a large living room with a window it should be easier to get a room mate who is interested. Especially given the fact that you live on the Upper East side. There are still some address snobs who are happy to share a tiny room for the status of living on the Upper East Side than live more comfortably in Queens or Brooklyn. Good luck to you.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:17 AM

762 posts, read 1,749,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
There are still some address snobs who are happy to share a tiny room for the status of living on the Upper East Side than live more comfortably in Queens or Brooklyn. Good luck to you.
Status has nothing to do with the fact that this is a great neighborhood:
  • My apartment is close to stops on the 6 train and the Q on 2nd Ave as well as the M15 and crosstown buses;
  • there is a ton of restaurants, grocery stores, delis, gourmet food shops, bagel shops, dry cleaners, drugstores, and other shopping within a small radius around my apartment;
  • just walking a little further takes one to stores like Bed Bath and Beyond, Best Buy, or Bloomingdale's;
  • it is an easy walk to Hunter College;
  • two Citi-Bike stations are very near to this block, and there are more just a little farther away;
  • Lenox Hill Hospital, New York Hospital, Cornell-Weill, and Rockefeller University are very close by;
  • for coffee lovers, I have an Oslo Coffee, two Oren's, a Gregory's, and about five Starbucks, as well as quite a few independent coffee bars, within strolling distance;
  • it's easy to get to JFK, LGA, and EWR airports from here;
  • there are several indie fitness studios and three big gyms within a two block radius, one being directly across the street from my building; and
  • it's not a far walk to Central Park and The Met.
Those are just the first things off the top of my head - besides the fact that if someone works in Manhattan, it's nice not to sit on the subway forever to get home.

It's only on the second floor, too, so the lack of an elevator doesn't matter.

Last edited by citychik; 04-07-2017 at 08:32 AM..

Old 04-07-2017, 11:15 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Sublet agreement? I'm not subletting. This would be a share. However you brought up a good point about having an agreement in writing. In my many years of sharing, all agreements I've made have always been verbal. Do most people these days expect a written contract?
If you will effectively be their landlord, it's still subletting, even if you still live there. I'd never enter into this type of arrangement without something in writing. In the past when I was looking for shares, I always had the expectation that there would be a written agreement to protect all parties involved. I don't do verbal agreements with anyone unless it's my mother, lol.

You can likely find a free template on the internet. Do you have any friends who are attorneys or versed in contract law who would be able to tweak it for you? I just did this...new landlords, and we signed a lease renewal agreement that extended the original lease. I had to make some edits to the template I found online. I speak enough legalese that I didn't consult a lawyer (although my best friend is one, and the wife in the new landlords is also one - apparently my work passed muster!) They would have preferred month to month, but I don't want my rent to go up with only 30 days notice, nor do I want to have to move if they decide to go a different route. At least this way I am protected until next year. They're also protected from me just up and leaving them. I'm a good tenant so have no problem with written agreements. I'm suspicious of those who avoid paperwork.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:45 AM

762 posts, read 1,749,529 times
Especially with contracts, it's important that correct language be used. A sublet is when the sublessor is not going to be living there and the sublessee is renting the apartment in their place. I am simply not going to call it a sublease, which is an arrangement that requires a contract among three parties: sublessor, sublessee, and landlord as well. This is a roommate situation, not a sublease. I will be living there and we would be sharing the apartment. Any agreement will be only between me and roommate. My lease allows roommates but does not require that they have an agreement with the landlord in addition to me.

I know there are templates for roommate agreements online. I have taken courses in contract law and have experience with drawing up contracts, so I am familiar with how to draft or tweak one, but it's never been necessary for sharing my place in the past.

Nobody has to worry about their share being raised as this is rent stabilized and there are limits to what I can charge a roommate -- and my rent will not increase in 2017 if my lease is renewed for 1 more year.

I just don't want someone to think they are moving into a long-term permanent situation and feel that they can communicate and develop a relationship with my landlord and super. From what I've seen with other people, roommates like that can make trouble and create drama. I guess that may be old-school thinking, but as the leaseholder, I will make arrangements for repairs or other issues, not someone temporarily sharing my space.

Last edited by citychik; 04-07-2017 at 12:09 PM..

Old 04-08-2017, 06:33 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Make sure you ask the landlord in advance about the arrangement. He cannot withhold consent without a good excuse, but if you don't ask first, you may face eviction.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:11 AM

4,768 posts, read 6,555,721 times
I don't think that's correct. You are supposed to notify the landlord within 30 days of the roommate moving in, but if you don't, I don't believe there's a penalty. Obviously, check this out further.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:14 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Another potentially viable option is that you could just leave if you can't afford to properly live there any longer and are too old to play games with roommates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City