Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 03:30 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,570,966 times

Advertisements

Any use this bike path? This page doesn't say where to enter. https://www.hudsonriverpark.org/expl...ties/bicycling

For example, the public path near Gracie Mansion is at the east end of 83rd Street. < This is the type of answer I'm lookingfor. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 04:15 PM

499 posts, read 790,248 times
Generally, every 2-4 blocks there is a way to cross West Street/ West Side Highway to get onto the path.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:45 PM

478 posts, read 767,271 times
Yeah, hundreds of access points to the path. There are a handful of stretches, mostly way uptown, where there's no access between certain points. From the two access points at Dyckman St. and Riverside Drive (which are back to back), for instance, you won't get to another one, going southbound, until the ped bridge at 181st street. I'd say that's the longest stretch along the westside without an access point. (I'm referring to the path along the Henry Hudson Parkway. This begins just EAST of the RR tracks, right by an old N.Y. Central building, where the parks dept opened a restroom for park users. There's also a newer bike path out of the very end of Dyckman at the Marina restaurant, right by the river and WEST of the RR tracks, that actually dead-ends a ways north of 181st, with zero access points the entire length. I do hope they've plans to continue it someday --otherwise it obviously requires doubling back to get out. And there is a sign at the start point to warn you).

South of that ped bridge at 181st the path goes down a steep hill and passes under the parkway and over the railroad, and continues under the GWB. South of the tennis courts there is a ped bridge (attached to an old restroom building) over the RR that eventually leads you along highway ramps to Riverside Drive at 165th St -- a rather long and clunky way to get from one place to the other.

At 158th street there is access via stairway from up on Riverside Drive down to the park. There is a street here that bikers frequently use, that goes south of 158th along the park side, with ways to get into the park/bike path. (They are now building a new ped bridge to cross the parkway and RR here -- to eventually make an easy connection from Riverside Drive to the park and path.)

At 145th the bikepath passes under the bridge that goes to Riverbank State Park. You could go up the stairs here - elevator as well - to access the street and the state park. Otherwise there's a stretch at this point where you pass alongside the wastewater plant, which lies underneath Riverbank, of course. It can get unpleasant, with the smells, but usually it's fine. You come out of this stretch around 133rd street, where the famous Riverside Drive viaduct begins, above. Here there is a short stretch of the bikepath that goes to 125th -- this stretch is often subject to closure, with all kinds of industrial stuff going on at that point. This is no cause for concern -- just head south along 12th avenue under the viaduct -- it's an easy stretch -- and after two or three traffic lights any westward street will lead you to a very fine new city park with piers along the river.

From 125th/St Clair Place there is another stretch without access points. This pleasant stretch will have a way in/out around 100th street -- a ramp along the highway exit underpass there goes up to the higher level of Riverside Park. South of this point the next access is around 95th street. The pathway out of there goes alongside the highway exit underpass and brings you up to a part of the park with a wonderful garden. If you head straight out to Riverside Drive at this point, it's a steep hill to go up. You can just continue along that double sidewalk stretch (actually an architectural mistake -- they had actually begun building the parkway here, but had put it in the wrong place! So we have a half-mile or so of "abandoned highway" in our park.) The south end of this stretch puts you in the west 70's. But we've been on a tangent here -- remember we got off the path at 95th. So let's return there to continue our journey south.

South of 95th is an interesting section of the bikepath. For many years you actually had to go up into the park, as I described above, because this section hadn't yet been built. The parkway hugs the water along this stretch, with no place for a path. The city wizards came up with a solution by putting a long stretch of pathway literally over the water, with pilings or whatnot. It can get a bit narrow at times, if there are a lot of walkers. But it's usually a cool breeze. By the time this passage connects back to land, you're near the 79th street Boat Basin. There are access points here, and again at 72nd. But the one after that might not be until around 57th-59th street, where there is a sanitation garage at the pier. I say "might" -- with all those Trumpian apartment blocks between those points, they might have opened other points of access.
South of 59th street the points of access are so frequent and regular as to make the topic almost irrevelant. Get out your google or bing satellite images and you'll see how easy it is to find the path from there on down to the battery.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:09 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,570,966 times
Thanks all. So. Found one.

I also found a cool new map app that's based on words.

For example, mentioned above, the entry point to the Hudson River Park bike path closest to me is at https://map.what3words.com/area.punk.steps (which is the same as 40.763947, -73.998202) My UES friend always uses https://map.what3words.com/gear.jumped.pram for his biking needs.

The creators of this app are based in England and I have to say they seem pretty darn smart. The reason they created it is because they feel words are better than long strings of numbers.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:24 PM

377 posts, read 505,089 times
There is an entrance on 69th Street and Riverside Blvd.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:01 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,858,214 times
I usually got on either at Christopher Street or down by the Winter Garden behind the World Trade Center.

You will not have any trouble finding an entry point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: