Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 05:18 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,276,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Why ? We have regular terrorist attacks here as well and nobody seems to be able to do anything other than react. We just have a different type of terrorist. Or haven't you heard about Dylan Roof ,Jeremy Christian,John Allen Williams,Oklahoma City and various other incidents ?

Portland attack was terrorism | Opinion | Eugene, Oregon

https://newsone.com/playlist/13-amer...s/item/3405242

Seems to me we all handle terror in the exact same way. We react , assign blame and bury the dead.

Sounds like you feel safe because no one has mowed down 10 or 12 people on 5th Avenue yet. You have a false sense of security because it can and will happen here.

Meanwhile, the Chinese are building infrastructure like ants and building trans African high speed railways so they can set up manufacturing facilities and mine the continent. We are going nowhere because we sit here thinking we are better than everybody else.
No matter how much you hate yourself, we are still the most innovative country. It just doesn't happen to come from our government. I understand that you'd rather us have a European level of production, which has circulation issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 05:58 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,266,443 times
I was thinking about this recently. I've been watching it all since the general election and I've been very confused. Like to the level of confused that it feels disturbing inside my head and I can't shake it or make sense of it yet. Part of that may be because we don't have all the information yet. However, recently I'm considering that perhap this election was a blessing in disguise.

I don't know what they're saying now in college but ten years ago my political science professor was saying that studies indicate the U.S. is projected to decline as the world hegemon in a transfer of power with China within the next 50 years. It's inevitable. We've been the global hegemon for two centuries and not many other countries have done that.

Now that it seems sort of obvious that the U.S. is in an active decline. In that it appears Trump is a participant in it's dismantling and withdrawal from our partnerships with our long time western allies. Perhaps we'll see less of these sorts of attacks here as we'll become less of a target in the future. I'm not saying it started with Trump. We certainly had a recession a few years ago but we also didn't learn our lessons from it either.

Things are already changing. You can sense it. It's in the air.

Maybe MAGA is going to be withdrawing from global responsibilities to focus on domestic policy more? At least it appears to be the case. There is also a dismantling on the home front of governmental structures starting with healthcare, education, immigration and trade.

It's really different than I've seen before. I mean the administration is really different. I knew that going in it would be.

I have to agree with bluedog as well on his point about the radical white terrorist threats. People say you can't blame Trump for what's happening in Portland but it's a direct symptom of what occurred at his rallies during the primaries by embracing the hateful rhetoric and inciting violence for ratings to manipulate the media that was fawning over a Clinton coronation.

However, what he's done is bring the seedy underbelly of this country out in the open and raise the awareness of it by holding it to the light for all to see and reexamine. We've been having some robust discussions on the Portland forum and in Current Events about it. At last it's given me some context to work with and put pieces of what is happening into the frame to start seeing the bigger picture here. I'm really talented at undoing knots that seem impossible.

It's up to the rest of America to have the discussion on how to proceed and deal with it so we may write a new social contract to move forward.

Typing on phone

Old 06-04-2017, 10:26 AM

33,873 posts, read 47,070,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I don't like Giuliani personally but I have to say he really cleaned up NYC & made it safer. JMO. And Bloomberg continued it. See lots of junk, garbage on the streets now esp. in the subway stations like never before. Not anywhere near how it was in the 70's thru mid 80's but I find the city more dirty now than it was before DeBlasio took over.
Really. So what did Giuliani and Bloomberg do differently in regards to sanitation?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-04-2017, 10:37 AM

983 posts, read 927,337 times
America's biggest defense against terrorism is the ocean.

It's much easier to sneak into Europe when you're right across the mediterranean. Of course immigration policies have an effect, but it seems to me that geography is a larger factor. That is probably why there have been so many more terrorist incidents in Europe.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:03 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Most of the attacks are in Britain or France. Not Europe as a whole. US cities overall are more violent than European cities.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:06 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Why ? We have regular terrorist attacks here as well and nobody seems to be able to do anything other than react. We just have a different type of terrorist. Or haven't you heard about Dylan Roof ,Jeremy Christian,John Allen Williams,Oklahoma City and various other incidents ?

Portland attack was terrorism | Opinion | Eugene, Oregon

https://newsone.com/playlist/13-amer...s/item/3405242

Seems to me we all handle terror in the exact same way. We react , assign blame and bury the dead.

Sounds like you feel safe because no one has mowed down 10 or 12 people on 5th Avenue yet. You have a false sense of security because it can and will happen here.

Meanwhile, the Chinese are building infrastructure like ants and building trans African high speed railways so they can set up manufacturing facilities and mine the continent. We are going nowhere because we sit here thinking we are better than everybody else and that the world will bow to POTUS.
Those incidents happened in other states. Not to say that it can't happen in NYC, but it is a lot less likely to happen here. It's a lot harder to legally get a gun in NY (criminals have them, but they are different) and that kind of right wing anti everything person isn't too likely to want to live in NYC proper.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:44 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,276,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Those incidents happened in other states. Not to say that it can't happen in NYC, but it is a lot less likely to happen here. It's a lot harder to legally get a gun in NY (criminals have them, but they are different) and that kind of right wing anti everything person isn't too likely to want to live in NYC proper.
What about the Chelsea bombing.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:20 PM

15,801 posts, read 14,414,927 times
The European, at least until recently, have been very accepting of letting them in. That may be changing. And we should be acting based on the results of that experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
America's biggest defense against terrorism is the ocean.

It's much easier to sneak into Europe when you're right across the mediterranean. Of course immigration policies have an effect, but it seems to me that geography is a larger factor. That is probably why there have been so many more terrorist incidents in Europe.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:05 PM

5,044 posts, read 4,923,450 times
Quote:
Why ? ............
First, deblasio did a great job in calming domestic/local terrors. Second, trump upsets all external terrors from even wanting to enter the US soil.
My sense of security here is real, not false at all.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:06 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,600,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
No matter how much you hate yourself, we are still the most innovative country. It just doesn't happen to come from our government. I understand that you'd rather us have a European level of production, which has circulation issues.
We acquire all of our innovation by using globalism. "Good artist copies and a great artist steals." - Steve Jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: