Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 01:50 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Put it like this, it's better to graduate with a degree from CUNY than it is from a No Name private university. Or honestly if you just want to be a nurse or a teacher going to an Ivy makes no sense. Go to a CUNY instead.
Far as one knows no "Ivy League" university still offers undergraduate degree in nursing. Columbia shut their program years ago and even recently got shot of their dual BSN/MSN program. It is strictly post graduate only.

NYU while ever pretending otherwise, is not an Ivy League college, but offers undergraduate BSN degree in nursing.

As for teaching I don't know. If one has the academic chops and so forth would take Columbia or other IL college over CUNY or even SUNY

By all accounts no matter what the degree CUNY schools are all various levels of Hades. From administration on down it seems half the challenge is just getting an education.

As it relates to nursing, good luck with that at CUNY or even SUNY programs. Every single one both ADN and BSN programs have vastly more qualified applicants than they can accept each semester. People actually get fed up with trying to get into Hunter-Bellevue and go to a private college such as NYU instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 02:05 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Far as one knows no "Ivy League" university still offers undergraduate degree in nursing. Columbia shut their program years ago and even recently got shot of their dual BSN/MSN program. It is strictly post graduate only.

NYU while ever pretending otherwise, is not an Ivy League college, but offers undergraduate BSN degree in nursing.

As for teaching I don't know. If one has the academic chops and so forth would take Columbia or other IL college over CUNY or even SUNY

By all accounts no matter what the degree CUNY schools are all various levels of Hades. From administration on down it seems half the challenge is just getting an education.

As it relates to nursing, good luck with that at CUNY or even SUNY programs. Every single one both ADN and BSN programs have vastly more qualified applicants than they can accept each semester. People actually get fed up with trying to get into Hunter-Bellevue and go to a private college such as NYU instead.
I wasn't aware that Columbia shut down its duel BSN/MSN program. With that said you are correct, the Ivies all got rid of their undergraduate nursing programs.

With what you said about it being hard to get into Hunter-Bellevue, it will get even harder now that it is free. Getting into the teacher ed programs at CUNY will likely be harder to get in.

The only Ibies that have education schools are Columbia, Harvard, and the University of Pennsylvania. Most of the people at Columbia's Teachers College are getting advanced degrees in psychology, fewer than 1/3rd of the students there are in teachers ed programs. Those that enter teachers ed programs teach for a little while after graduation, then go out for a phd, for law school or for private industry. Many of these formers teachers go into academia, administration, or publishing. Many of the people going to Harvard's graduate school of education mainly go into academia, publishing,?or administration. University of Pennsylvania is similar.

But if you know for a fact all you want to do is classroom teach, you don't go to an Ivy. The financials do not make sense. You'd spend too much money and get too little back.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:23 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,880,849 times
Quote:
There more opportunity and money to be made by graduating from Ivy league with education background. People buy into the prestige of an Ivy league degree. It helps with self promotion and landing a coveted senior government position/policy influence and selling books.

I wouldn't be surprise if Angela Duckworth is making good money with coining "grit" as the one attribute young kids lack now a days.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:26 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,553,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Mass incarceration and other socioeconomic problems of course affected the graduation rates. It's not the job of the teachers to fix all that is wrong with their students, instead it's up to the rest of society. The war on drugs has also locked up a lot of parents, and children without stable homes of course won't do well in school.
All true - but charters (in NYC - can't speak for elsewhere) have made big gains with black and hispanic kids from poor backgrounds. Yet the current NYC educational-union-progressives complex fights that. Kids be damned - its dogma that counts.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:37 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
All true - but charters (in NYC - can't speak for elsewhere) have made big gains with black and hispanic kids from poor backgrounds. Yet the current NYC educational-union-progressives complex fights that. Kids be damned - its dogma that counts.
NYC has also decriminalized weed, legalized medical marijuana, at least partially decriminalized prostitution, etc. They cracked down on discrimination in housing and in employment. So a lot of outside changes happened.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:51 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,006,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky91 View Post
According to my parent. CUNY schools used to be amazing and very hard to get into. I think this is good. Get rid of over crowding, raise standards, and keep educated nyer's natives here.

As for the jail. Rikers is no where for anyone under 18 that is non violent. They will come home 100 times worse. I have worked with that population. Sending them there is probably the worse option.
Well that's true and not true...I don't know about amazing...but back in the 1950s and earlier, colleges like City College, Queens College and Brooklyn College (the three flag ships) were considered "The poor man's Harvard." They put out a few Nobel prize laureates and a few other distinct honors only held by the most highly regarded schools and that's primarily due to the poor Eastern European Jewish immigrants of that time who went on to attend those colleges astheir only option...

Times have changed though, with more people having access to private Universities and colleges (think Columbia, NYU, Fordham etc etc) that talent has gone elsewhere...

And I could be wrong, but I believe CUNY and SUNY still have that two year agreement of as long as you complete a 2 year degree...you are automatically admitted to a 4 year CUNY/SUNY institution. It's basically open enrollment. "Free" college will basically inflate that even more.

I personally don't see the point. The tuition is as about as cheap as it can already be...plus with pell grants people were basically paying nothing. The Colleges will get overcrowded with a lot of unprepared kids coming into the system, and create a high turnover rate. It'll get that rep again of being "13th grade" like it was in the 70s.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:07 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post

And I could be wrong, but I believe CUNY and SUNY still have that two year agreement of as long as you complete a 2 year degree...you are automatically admitted to a 4 year CUNY/SUNY institution. It's basically open enrollment. "Free" college will basically inflate that even more.

Once one has the Associates, the transfer is pretty easy to some schools within the same system. But a large hurdle is that the credits may have no match to transfer over too. Thus they may have to lose a year or basically start over again.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:14 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,006,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Once one has the Associates, the transfer is pretty easy to some schools within the same system. But a large hurdle is that the credits may have no match to transfer over too. Thus they may have to lose a year or basically start over again.
I've heard that too. But I also heard that you were guaranteed a seat in one of the four-year colleges, as long as you held a 2.0? Or am I wrong?

Old 04-10-2017, 03:19 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I've heard that too. But I also heard that you were guaranteed a seat in one of the four-year colleges, as long as you held a 2.0? Or am I wrong?
Here's a starting point (2.8 seems to be the minimum):

Prepare as a Transfer – The City University of New York

Old 04-10-2017, 04:20 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,669,634 times
Quote:
After Pell Grants and TAP nearly all CUNY or SUNY students pay little to no tuition as it is; which isn't a great feat when full time day for CUNY is $3,165 per semester.
This is absolutely not correct!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City