Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 02:41 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,563,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
That's so crazy that I actually laughed when I read it. Are they afraid your building is gonna be a bunch of 60 year old retires going back to school, having keg parties in the building?
That sounds like fun! Instead of retiring, I'm going to head back to college. I think I have some of those red plastic cups around somewhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 08:12 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
How many 20's in an 80-20 building move out?
I would think that a preferential rent premium would likely be near a non-issue.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:39 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,544,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
That's so crazy that I actually laughed when I read it. Are they afraid your building is gonna be a bunch of 60 year old retires going back to school, having keg parties in the building?
No kidding!

Old 07-08-2019, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenKaneToad View Post
It's excessive but still required for you to remain in compliance with the LIHTC. They need to know your income in order to comply with the "next-available unit" rule, which states that if you're above 140% of AMI or something, they're required to open up the next available unit to another low income tenant.

Your rent will NOT be affected by your income once you're in.

No my rent is effected every time i recertify. I just find it odd I have to sign off for my bank so they can ask my bank whatever questions they have to ask, and send 6 months of pay stubs and bank statements ( all of the pages) how and where is that legal? I get that one may say , 'thats just how it is' however, it should be stated somewhere?

Old 07-09-2019, 09:02 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
The new law has made MANY changes not reflected in the discussions in this thread.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/12/n...-new-york.html

Preferential vs. "legal" rent has basically become moot. Preferential rent IS the legal rent. Large vacancy increases have also pretty much been decimated.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:24 AM

3,132 posts, read 2,728,507 times
"No my rent is effected every time i recertify"

Your rent changes every year in accordance with the increases approved by the rent board. And your lease almost certainly has a rider specifying the need to provide the information.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:33 AM

31,902 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
The new law has made MANY changes not reflected in the discussions in this thread.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/12/n...-new-york.html

Preferential vs. "legal" rent has basically become moot. Preferential rent IS the legal rent. Large vacancy increases have also pretty much been decimated.
People were eegits to push for elimination of vacancy increases. Most RS tenants leave their apartments feet first in a box, that is unless they are evicted or things go so badly for them economically they must move out.

In any event the vacancy increase didn't befront them for those and other reasons. Sam the Eagle and his meddling with RGB will be over in a bit over two years. Once new players are in place (least far as mayor's appointees), things may likely be very different.

Historically rent increases have ranged in a low rage of about 2%-4%, but there were some really high numbers in the 2000's.

DHCR Fact Sheets

https://www.quora.com/Where-can-I-fi...reases-for-NYC

Once legal rent is $1k per month every one percent (1%) increase means ten more dollars per month, or $120 for a year. This doubles at 2%, triples for 3% and so forth.

Aside from some very old seniors and those in "low income" affordable housing many RS are paying near or over $1000 already. Landlords are likely to push hard for higher annual increases to offset loss of vacancy bonus. Which means instead of the person after them getting hit with a huge increase in rent, current tenants will find themselves subjected to death by a thousand cuts. Their annual incomes need to rise a few percentage points over any RGB increase each year just to keep up. This assumes there isn't inflation and or other increases in COL.

People were down at that RGB meeting crying over the same measly increases they voted last year. Tenants wanted another rent freeze, but that wasn't going to happen. Their representiatives and themselves all pretty much admitted it is going to be tough to scrounge up an extra ten or twenty dollars per month.

The whole thing is an effin joke.

With luxury decontrol off the table as well, plenty of well off to wealthy persons whose rents are below market, and in theory could afford to pay more, now won't have to bother. They can remain in those apartments until they die. The "poor' or whoever won't get near them as people are probably going to run game to keep those units "in the family" as it were.

Meanwhile the larger issue with RS remains the same at the other end of economic spectrum; large numbers of current rent regulated tenants are "rent burdened", and or otherwise truly cannot afford their apartments. Those cheap RS apartments Albany seems to think will somehow become available largely won't if history is any guide.

Back in the day to find a decent and affordable RS unit you had to know someone. This usually involved paying "key money" to a LL, super or someone to make things happen. LLs then nor certainly now aren't going to put below market RS apartments out to general public. Well not at least in Manhattan or some other hot areas of NYC.

Things will go back to old school. LLs will warehouse units, do side deals for family, friends, and or maybe do whisper listings so only the *right* sort of persons apply.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:02 PM

4 posts, read 5,536 times
Once you are in your apartment as the sole named tenant on the RS lease, is there any special procedure to add a roommate down the line (mid-lease)? And once you notify your landlord that you will be taking in a roommate, will the roommate also be subject to the annual income re-certification process if they are not named on the lease?

Typically under NY RPP 235-f, you're entitled to a single roommate/add'l unrelated occupant if you are the only named tenant on the lease. I'm just not sure if there are any additional requirements beyond that when it comes to lotto winners once they're mid-lease. Anyone have any input?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: