U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 08:25 PM

209 posts, read 220,107 times

Advertisements

Recently I have been hearing more and more about how East New York and Brownsville are starting to gentrify. Although they are still not at the level of where Bedford Stuyvesent and Bushwick is in.

East New York and Brownsville are areas I thought would never be gentrified in a million years since they are so far away from Manhattan and Williamsburg/Downtown Brooklyn/Greenpoint areas in addition to the problems that go on there. However, it seems it is now slowly happening. They are like half an hour to one hour away from the main gentrified areas.

So it makes me wonder, could Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, Bensonhurst and Borough Park start experiencing the same thing in 10-20 years down the line. Because these areas are also near by subway stations and between half hour and one hour away from the main gentrified areas of Brooklyn and from Manhattan.

Park Slope is already super gentrified and it is right next to Sunset Park. I think Sunset Park could be next and then following Bensonhurst, Bay Ridge and Borough Park.

I wonder if anyone thinks the same thing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 08:29 PM

3,700 posts, read 3,603,684 times
Sunset Park has already been officially named Industry City and it's created a nasty mess of privileged a-holes looking to drop eggs all over in every direction. The other neighborhoods not so much, there's soooo much new building going up in those areas but they are low rent buildings. I feel bad for Sunset Park. such a great real brooklyn neighborhood now being overrrun by the overprivileged rich brats of Earth.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:23 PM

34,969 posts, read 34,292,566 times
Sunset Park has been doing so for a while. The good deals are already gone and have been for several years now. There's pressure from parts north of extremely gentrified Brooklyn while the stable and striving Mexican and Chinese communities have been pushing at the rest of the area. It's already "gentrified" in the sense that property values are up and being a desirable neighborhood.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:11 AM

9,855 posts, read 24,349,636 times
Yeah sunset park is definitely gentrifying. It's been buffered somewhat because of the Chinese. A lot of the old school Boris died out or sold. The R train blows though and sunset park is ugly lol. Very industrial and polluted but without the charm and location of Williamsburg. The city is directly incentivizing the gentrification through that industrybcity crap where they are trying to lure entrepreneurs in.

Bay Ridge was always a little nicer and higher income but was affordable, it has also seen gentrification.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 04-12-2017 at 05:43 AM..

Old 04-12-2017, 05:36 AM

481 posts, read 395,664 times
Prices are going up all over the city, but is that the same thing as gentrification or is it just par for course in NYC (and all major cities)?

What are other indications of gentrification you've seen - in Bay Ridge for instance?

Old 04-12-2017, 06:13 AM

12,206 posts, read 6,893,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Yeah sunset park is definitely gentrifying. It's been buffered somewhat because of the Chinese. A lot of the old school Boris died out or sold. The R train blows though and sunset park is ugly lol. Very industrial and polluted but without the charm and location of Williamsburg. The city is directly incentivizing the gentrification through that industrybcity crap where they are trying to lure entrepreneurs in.

Bay Ridge was always a little nicer and higher income but was affordable, it has also seen gentrification.
Bay Ridge has been rated THE BEST neighborhood in Brooklyn. Far from just "a little nice" and the areas west of Third Avenue feature homes going for a million +. Most of the neighborhood is middle class, with a sizeable upper middle class earning over $100,000. Bay Ridge is too far out and was already a great neighborhood. It doesn't need to gentrify. It's clean, family friendly and very safe.

5 Great Neighborhoods in Brooklyn | GAC

Old 04-12-2017, 06:33 AM

10,780 posts, read 10,591,641 times
Already too expensive for gentrification. And these areas are fine as they are.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:34 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,728 times
Those neighborhoods are already desirable places to live in, so I'm not sure how it can gentrify when the housing costs aren't relatively low.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:35 AM

10,780 posts, read 10,591,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Sunset Park has already been officially named Industry City and it's created a nasty mess of privileged a-holes looking to drop eggs all over in every direction. The other neighborhoods not so much, there's soooo much new building going up in those areas but they are low rent buildings. I feel bad for Sunset Park. such a great real brooklyn neighborhood now being overrrun by the overprivileged rich brats of Earth.
1010 has been referring to the area as Industry City on its traffic reports for some time now.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:37 AM

6,184 posts, read 6,821,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2016 View Post
Recently I have been hearing more and more about how East New York and Brownsville are starting to gentrify. Although they are still not at the level of where Bedford Stuyvesent and Bushwick is in.

East New York and Brownsville are areas I thought would never be gentrified in a million years since they are so far away from Manhattan and Williamsburg/Downtown Brooklyn/Greenpoint areas in addition to the problems that go on there. However, it seems it is now slowly happening. They are like half an hour to one hour away from the main gentrified areas.

So it makes me wonder, could Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, Bensonhurst and Borough Park start experiencing the same thing in 10-20 years down the line. Because these areas are also near by subway stations and between half hour and one hour away from the main gentrified areas of Brooklyn and from Manhattan.

Park Slope is already super gentrified and it is right next to Sunset Park. I think Sunset Park could be next and then following Bensonhurst, Bay Ridge and Borough Park.

I wonder if anyone thinks the same thing.

Not really. And I question your definition of gentrification with some of areas you put here.

Borough Park is what it is and it is already expensive because they build big monstrosities. I don't think the Jewish stronghold is going to change anytime soon.

Bay Ridge can't really gentrify---it's too nice and safe already. It's been middle class/rich forever. And anyway, the "typical" gross megacondos they usually build in Park Slope aren't going to happen here. They built a fewer new condos and after one more modern one popped up, they kind of put a stop to it.

Bensonhurst isn't really an unsafe area either. You get some new builds (condos) but much of the changes have been ethic more than anything else. Sunset Park has definitely had PS pushing into it (that RE agents like to call South Slope) but the Asian/Hispanic population is still domineering. Sorry to break it to you Aquarius but this push into SP was happening long before Industry City, when people couldn't afford PS anymore. Sunset Park isn't really dangerous it just has a gritty feel because of the BQE.

For the most part, a lot of the areas you put are not "undesirable" or up and coming. Real estate prices have increased quite a bit across the board. Probably the only one I would agree with is Sunset Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City