Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 04:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times

Advertisements

Put it like this, my male relatives who have criminal records were still able to get union jobs (and they were former thugs and alcoholics and drug addicts on top of that). So why would they care about illegal immigrants getting extremely low paying jobs. The only Black Americans who can honestly claim severe competition are illiterate people with criminal records, and as noted Black Americans do benefit from cheap services from immigrant run businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 07:02 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes there is a constitutional right to a public defender as all people must have due process in the United States.

NYC and NYS do indeed see severe layoffs. But ironically this is what the founders of the constitution envisioned. Each state is also free to set their own policies, as the federal government gets smaller. The feds could cut substantial funding to NYS, but then if they are not paying for things in the state they lose a lot of say in how the city and the state cut their business. If the federal government cuts taxes and federal spending, that's money that stays in the states including NY, and they can do what they want with it.

So let the Trump administration bring the cuts on. Besides with cuts to the NYPD (Trump has said he would cut that) arrests will go down way further (I'm against mass incarceration and the war on drugs).
I'm willing to be proven wrong but please show me where in the 6th Amendment it says illegal immigrants have the right to a public defender? Keep in mind that immigration matters are civil issue not criminal in nature.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:10 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
I'm willing to be proven wrong but please show me where in the 6th Amendment it says illegal immigrants have the right to a public defender? Keep in mind that immigration matters are civil issue not criminal in nature.
I would guess that they're entitled to a public defender in criminal cases, but not an immigration lawyer.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Everyone is entitled to a public defender
Only in criminal matters. The NYC govt providing taxpayer funds yo illegals in immigration matters is a step too far.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I would guess that they're entitled to a public defender in criminal cases, but not an immigration lawyer.
That's correct.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:32 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,884,227 times
Great even more $ for those who refuse to learn English.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:03 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Everyone is entitled to due process, meaning if they are accused of something they are entitled to a defender and to go before a judge.

From the 14th amendment.

"No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Since everyone gets equal protection of the laws, illegal immigrants are entitled to public defenders, just as American citizens are entitled to defenders. No person can be denied due process either, meaning alleged illegal immigrants generally have to have their day in court before a judge decided whether to deport them or not.

"Constitutional Rights

Even if you're in the United States without permission or proper immigration documents, various sections of the U.S. Constitution apply to you. There is a particularly important provision of the Fourteenth Amendment stating that, "No state shall . . . deprive any person of life, liberty or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

An undocumented immigrant is definitely a "person." In brief, this means that you are owed such procedural rights as a jury trial and the right to defend yourself against the charges if arrested; and if someone sues you over a civil matter, that you have the right to receive notice and to defend yourself in court.

Various criminal charge-related amendments to the Constitution (including the First, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth and 14th) also apply. These protect undocumented immigrants against unlawful search and seizure by law enforcement authorities (without probable cause and a warrant for such an action) and against self-incrimination.

Undocumented immigrants have the right to file lawsuits, such as discrimination suits, in federal court. State laws vary, but some jurisdictions give an undocumented immigrant the right to sue in state court, as well.

Defense Against Removal

You have the right to defend yourself against deportation or removal from the United States. If immigration officials discover that you're living in the country illegally, you have the right to a hearing before an immigration judge in the Executive Office for Immigration Review or EOIR (unless you've returned to the U.S. after a previous order of deportation). The U.S. government can't, in most cases, simply send you home without a hearing.

You also have the right to representation in immigration court by an attorney, but the U.S. government doesn't have to pay for one on your behalf. You may be able to find low-cost legal help from a charitable organization serving immigrants."

Illegal Immigrant Rights | Lawyers.com

Old 04-16-2017, 12:48 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,470,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Put it like this, my male relatives who have criminal records were still able to get union jobs (and they were former thugs and alcoholics and drug addicts on top of that). So why would they care about illegal immigrants getting extremely low paying jobs. The only Black Americans who can honestly claim severe competition are illiterate people with criminal records, and as noted Black Americans do benefit from cheap services from immigrant run businesses.
interesting. I always wondered what the American-born black point of view was on this issue.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:50 AM

NYwriterdude, there is NO right to a public defender in immigration matters for illegals and that's basically what you copy and pasted. SO I don't know why you're talking about due process and criminal issues when the OP post was clearly talking about NYC filling a gap in immigration matters for illegals.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:12 AM

487 posts, read 544,886 times
I come from a background of European immigrants ...... they came here with nothing and they did not expect help. They went through Ellis Island and came here legally. They worked very hard, maintained their family values and became successful. They contributed to this country. They became proud Americans who worked for what they had. I am totally for new immigrants but come here legally. It is heart warming to see these legal immigrants succeed like our ancestors did. DeBlasio will feed into this problem with taxpayers' money. He needs to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: