Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 12:16 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowplayer2 View Post
they are here to destroying your country lmao, you are the type that destroying our country here dude. You want american companies to compete? tell them to fix LIE in 2 weeks.
Better yet, they can use better road materials. That's the real problem. I'm not destroying anything. I just support a good standard of living for middle class Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 12:47 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I'm aware of it. That doesn't make it ok. Trump needs to play nice with China for now, but once this mess with North Korea cools down, hopefully he'll come to his senses about labeling them currency manipulators.
He has no real ability to change US trade policy without Congressional approval. Congress and the courts have already checked him. The appeal of Obamacare was defeated, and there's no permanent Muslim immigration ban.

I'm not convinced Trump even wants to significantly change things with China. Many of his branded goods were made in China.

The big thing is the budget for the rest of the year has to pass by the end of the month, and at some point they'll need to work on next year's budget.

Trump is President of the United States, not emperor, king, or dictator. It would have been the same if Bernie had been elected. Both men promised their bases a lot of stuff that Congress simply will not deliver, and yes I voted for Bernie.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:57 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Quote:
They've been doing it in Europe going back to when I lived there, and the EU took a stance on it. Given the trade imbalance that exists between the U.S. and China, it should be a given that they've been doing the same thing here for years as well. On the same token, China is where it is in part because Europe along with U.S. wanted things cheaper. We've gone so far down that road that it may be too late to reverse course.
I do think that we've gone too far as well. But most of the rhetoric about cheating is just BS especially the fake "dumping" since most companies would be out of business if they actually sell below costs. The fact is they simply have an abundance of market priced labor and companies are not constrained by as many regulations as that in the West. While this is also true of many other non-western countries, most of them somehow can't get their s**t together to become competitive.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:57 PM

738 posts, read 585,574 times
this $15/hr minimum wage is a bad idea.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:04 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
Ever since they announced the $15 min wage two Mc Donald's has shut down near me. Available store fronts that use to get rented in no time are now sitting empty longer. This $15 min wage that will go into affect in a few years is definitely having an impact.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
$15 an hour is still not enough to support yourself in NYC. It's why service sector jobs are done by immigrants who live in overcrowded conditions.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
He has no real ability to change US trade policy without Congressional approval. Congress and the courts have already checked him. The appeal of Obamacare was defeated, and there's no permanent Muslim immigration ban.

I'm not convinced Trump even wants to significantly change things with China. Many of his branded goods were made in China.

The big thing is the budget for the rest of the year has to pass by the end of the month, and at some point they'll need to work on next year's budget.

Trump is President of the United States, not emperor, king, or dictator. It would have been the same if Bernie had been elected. Both men promised their bases a lot of stuff that Congress simply will not deliver, and yes I voted for Bernie.
I think he does, but he'll have to choose his cards carefully. His business endeavors are just that... Business endeavors.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
$15 an hour is still not enough to support yourself in NYC. It's why service sector jobs are done by immigrants who live in overcrowded conditions.
Even so those jobs weren't meant to support entire families in the first place. That's the problem. It's not that I'm against high wages. What I don't support is overpaying for low skilled labor. These unskilled people are taking away jobs that were previously done by teens for extra pocket change. Now that we've outsourced a good portion of higher paying jobs leaving us with tons of low paying service jobs, we're suddenly supposed to pay those people $15.00 an hour??? Really?? What has changed about the skill set of these jobs to require such high wages? Don't be ridiculous! The answer is to re-train these people for skilled jobs such the building of subway cars. These are jobs that can pay well (and should pay well) as opposed to fast food jobs.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Even so those jobs weren't meant to support entire families in the first place. That's the problem. It's not that I'm against high wages. What I don't support is overpaying for low skilled labor. These unskilled people are taking away jobs that were previously done by teens for extra pocket change. Now that we've outsourced a good portion of higher paying jobs leaving us with tons of low paying service jobs, we're suddenly supposed to pay those people $15.00 an hour??? Really?? What has changed about the skill set of these jobs to require such high wages? Don't be ridiculous! The answer is to re-train these people for skilled jobs such the building of subway cars. These are jobs that can pay well (and should pay well) as opposed to fast food jobs.
Yes the public voted for politicians who determined that the minimum wage in NYC for chain fast food places is $15 an hour. That's perfectly constitutional, as states are permitted to regulate businesses via the US constitution.

Most manufacturing left NYC, and a lot of it left NYS. We will never get back what we had in the 50s and 60s.

In terms of hiring teens, various labor laws and the fact that kids are encouraged to graduate high school means that businesses completely can't hire kids under age 16, and most will not hire anyone under 18. In short they are staffing themselves with people age 18 and above, who do have to support themselves.

Btw, factories and industrial jobs used to use child labor as well (many of them got killed or hurt). You claim to hate Chinese exploitation of workers, but you're perfectly okay with the exploitation of US minors, which thankfully doesn't really happen anymore as fast food companies stopped hiring people under 18. Too many legal issues, and the last these companies wanted to be accused of doing is stopping poor kids from graduating from high school.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:45 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
Good luck with those toxic-made subway cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City