U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2017, 06:32 PM

2,919 posts, read 771,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
It never ceases amazes me that, despite all the news stories of awful fireworks tragedies, people still want to go down that path.
M80's and pineapples were explosives plain and simple. You always had a bunch of people do dumb stuff with them and they and or others would paly the price. Ultimately we all paid because that type of Tom Foolery was the reason Rudy went balls deep in cracking down 22 years ago. We were raised to handle fireworks with respect and not do stupid things with them and honestly we steered clear of the M80's for the most part.

The colorful stuff was nice. You didn't even need motors do have a nice display but they were fun. My neighbor would set up three homemade pipe launchers every year. I think they were 6-inch pipes encased in concrete set in buckets. The hard part was getting your timing right with the launch, liteing the fuse and packing it in the pipe properly. I remember a few duds and I remember a bucket turning over a couple of times in our direction sending everyone running out of the way. It was just good times man. As a kid you looked lived all year for the summer and couldn;t wait for 4th of July.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 08:12 PM

4,783 posts, read 4,663,039 times
I miss it too. My dad always bought tons of fireworks---lasted us for hours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
It never ceases amazes me that, despite all the news stories of awful fireworks tragedies, people still want to go down that path.
You can say that about practically anything.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:07 PM

2,915 posts, read 1,184,883 times
I was just looking at the penalty for firing some off. pretty cheap price to pay, but some one will get sued if something goes wrong.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:03 PM

686 posts, read 271,970 times
Glad it's been banned so long, hopefully "fireworks culture" will be a thing of the past, like hitting squirrels with slingshots.

I'll never forget some Polish kids in Greenpoint two decades ago setting off some cherry-bombs by just tossing them off waist-level, exploding on the ground! Luckily, they were "traditional" enough to stand admonishing from a passing old lady, 'cause I was about to bicycle down another street entirely....

Old 04-25-2017, 06:40 AM

20,129 posts, read 26,407,309 times
The joys of taking a walk on July 5 and seeing FINGERS on the sidewalks. Those were the days.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:59 AM

10,323 posts, read 12,409,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
The joys of taking a walk on July 5 and seeing FINGERS on the sidewalks. Those were the days.
Ladyfinger fireworks or actual fingers? I hope its not the latter.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:53 PM

20,888 posts, read 22,663,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
Glad it's been banned so long, hopefully "fireworks culture" will be a thing of the past, like hitting squirrels with slingshots.
Squirrels are rats with fuzzy tails. We use rifles now. Once you've had your car crittered by one and have seen the $1000+ bill for it you'd go out and get a rifle too (or at least a pump action bee bee gun). As to fireworks many states switched their laws to allow fireworks that are ground based only.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:09 PM

20,888 posts, read 22,663,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I was just looking at the penalty for firing some off. pretty cheap price to pay, but some one will get sued if something goes wrong.
Up to $250 for sparklers? Cheap?

Penalties for offenses are:

Violation: a maximum of 15 days in jail and/or a fine not to exceed $250

Class B misdemeanor -- a maximum of three months in jail and/or a fine not to exceed $500

Class C misdemeanor -- a maximum of one year in jail and/or a fine not to exceed $1000

Old 05-01-2017, 03:18 PM

686 posts, read 271,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Squirrels are rats with fuzzy tails. We use rifles now. Once you've had your car crittered by one and have seen the $1000+ bill for it you'd go out and get a rifle too (or at least a pump action bee bee gun).
And humans are just apes without fur...and birds and drunks do a lot more damage, statistically, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
As to fireworks many states switched their laws to allow fireworks that are ground based only.
Now that's interesting...I would've thought shooting up is at least a bit safer than shooting at ground level! Though I guess the ones that go into the air have to be much more powerful so that's why...?

Old 05-01-2017, 04:40 PM

2,915 posts, read 1,184,883 times
Ground fireworks, like spining color types, are dangerous and unpredictable. From experience, those cause careless burns from the inexperienced.

The stuff that shows are made of, rockets and arials are the best when done responsibly. These may cause tree fires , ambers could flick into an open window. The city is too dense for it, so it has to be done out in the open space.

Now roman candles and m80s could be a real problem in the hands of trouble making kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or