U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-20-2017, 07:28 PM
 
2,928 posts, read 1,194,223 times
Reputation: 3281

Advertisements

Will this trend ever make a come back in nyc?

Missing the days I could go to china town, or down south, And pick up some fire works to be shot off by me , on the 4TH OF July, after a cookout.

I used to make a killing re selling , on the streets, fun for the family.

Nothing like shooting off some roman candles, a roll of firecrackers, and some whisteling rockets!

Are the cops still going aftèr people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2017, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
2,994 posts, read 785,812 times
Reputation: 2182
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Will this trend ever make a come back in nyc?

Missing the days I could go to china town, or down south, And pick up some fire works to be shot off by me , on the 4TH OF July, after a cookout.

I used to make a killing re selling , on the streets, fun for the family.

Nothing like shooting off some roman candles, a roll of firecrackers, and some whisteling rockets!

Are the cops still going aftèr people?
I too miss those days of the streets sounding and looking like a war zone. I despised Guliani for cracking down on 4th of July fun. The weeks leading up to the 4th were non-stop with fireworks going off. I wasn't allowed to play or buy fireworks until I was 14 years old had a job and used my own money to buy them. That first summer was like the greatest summer ever.

The 4th of July fun came back a little bit during Bloomberg. But it wasn;t the same people would hurry up to light what they had off and it was over within an hour or two. Fireworks used to last into the wee hours when I was growing up. Now there have been so many years of not having them I guess I am over it. Mabe because I am older, maybe it's because there is so much more development now. Too many houses that can be set on fire. I hate that I feel this way because a huge part of my childhood, my life and Americana have disappeared. At least from the NYC and NJ areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2017, 11:51 PM
 
1,504 posts, read 1,923,714 times
Reputation: 2574
Yeah those days were a blast and a fun time. As both of you guys said, I remember the people on my block lighting up boxes and boxes of fireworks till 3am!! It was nuts. I used to buy fireworks with every cent I earned till I was about 14. But this was back in Bensonhurst in the early to mid 80's. It was a blast. One year we went to coney island for the 4th and it was a firework extravaganza. Everybody brought their own fireworks and was lighting them up all over the beach and boardwalk. It was nuts!!

I remember just before Guliani got into office (around the summer of 93) a buddy of mine and I went into the city and picked up two huge duffle bags filled with everything we could afford. We even picked up a couple of Pineapples. I'm not sure if people know what that is but it's a half stick of dynamite. It was about 4 times the size of a block buster and it could literally blow up a car. I don't know how those things made it onto the readily available to buy. We resold half of what we got for double our profit.

But those days are sadly a thing of the past. It was great as a kid but I wouldn't want to deal with all that noise today as an adult and a parent. Neither does anyone else. And as LGR pointed out it hasn't been like that in such a long time that it could never go back. I've seen some bad accidents with fireworks and I wouldn't want my kid playing with them.

I feel bad for anyone born after 86.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 01:51 AM
 
2,928 posts, read 1,194,223 times
Reputation: 3281
last year, i picked some colorful smoke bombs, and some whistling rockets, so my kid could partake in old school custom. boy did I feel weird shooting them off. My son had a blast.

I did do a mini display a few years back, but they were mostly one the ground colorful stuff. I still got a crowd. I did view some recent videos on youtube, and the custom is still alive and kicking in some states, but not here.

I was so tempted to take a drive and fill up the trunk, make some extra, but don't think the investment and risk would be worth it. Back in the day, we had a cop gift bag for problems, but not anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
10,334 posts, read 12,437,521 times
Reputation: 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
last year, i picked some colorful smoke bombs, and some whistling rockets, so my kid could partake in old school custom. boy did I feel weird shooting them off. My son had a blast.

I did do a mini display a few years back, but they were mostly one the ground colorful stuff. I still got a crowd. I did view some recent videos on youtube, and the custom is still alive and kicking in some states, but not here.

I was so tempted to take a drive and fill up the trunk, make some extra, but don't think the investment and risk would be worth it. Back in the day, we had a cop gift bag for problems, but not anymore.
Grew up not far in Gravesend, and I remember these times. Fireworks going off right outside the building. We would stick the bottle rockets and roman candles in the tops of fences. I remember a blockbuster or something similar used to blow up a watermelon. People would hang out outside day and night in the Summer. There was no intenet or smartphones keeping people occupied. If you wanted recreation, you needed to head out. Good days I agree.

Last edited by D. Scott; 04-21-2017 at 07:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Bronx
425 posts, read 253,693 times
Reputation: 381
Alive and well in Inwood where a bodega owner was recently blinded by a firecracker while walking down the street with his 7-year old daughter.

One of them hit my bedroom window which thank gawd was closed even though it was a hot night.

Are people just getting more stupid with them than they were in the good old days?

The Bronx still lights up bright on the 4th. We can see in three directions from our apartment and it was fireworks in different neighbourhoods as far as the eye could see last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 03:01 PM
 
2,928 posts, read 1,194,223 times
Reputation: 3281
Rudy and his broken windows messed it all up!

All those dumb arcys messed it up too! Blowing up mail boxes or treating m80s like eggs on holloween.

It is dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 04:32 PM
 
8,242 posts, read 8,518,986 times
Reputation: 10213
It never ceases amazes me that, despite all the news stories of awful fireworks tragedies, people still want to go down that path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2017, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
7,908 posts, read 6,491,271 times
Reputation: 7093
I'd love fireworks if people confined them to the 4th when it is appropriate and celebratory. I hate that I have to hear them before and after for weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2017, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
2,994 posts, read 785,812 times
Reputation: 2182
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Yeah those days were a blast and a fun time. As both of you guys said, I remember the people on my block lighting up boxes and boxes of fireworks till 3am!! It was nuts. I used to buy fireworks with every cent I earned till I was about 14. But this was back in Bensonhurst in the early to mid 80's. It was a blast. One year we went to coney island for the 4th and it was a firework extravaganza. Everybody brought their own fireworks and was lighting them up all over the beach and boardwalk. It was nuts!!

I remember just before Guliani got into office (around the summer of 93) a buddy of mine and I went into the city and picked up two huge duffle bags filled with everything we could afford. We even picked up a couple of Pineapples. I'm not sure if people know what that is but it's a half stick of dynamite. It was about 4 times the size of a block buster and it could literally blow up a car. I don't know how those things made it onto the readily available to buy. We resold half of what we got for double our profit.

But those days are sadly a thing of the past. It was great as a kid but I wouldn't want to deal with all that noise today as an adult and a parent. Neither does anyone else. And as LGR pointed out it hasn't been like that in such a long time that it could never go back. I've seen some bad accidents with fireworks and I wouldn't want my kid playing with them.

I feel bad for anyone born after 86.
The summer of 95' I was seeing a girl who lived on 67th st. between 19th and 20th. I spent 4th of July with her and got to have the Brooklyn 4th of July experience. I was in AWE! Mind you this was when Guliani's crackdown wasn't in full swing yet. 18th ave was pretty much shut down at certain corners. It was an amazing night. Top 5 for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top