Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 10:46 PM

31,843 posts, read 26,850,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Listen Sonny....I think the maintenance is high and not affordable. That is my point. This is an affordable apt. Maybe the buy in price is but the maintenance sure as H#ll not.

Listen Bub, just because it is not affordable to *YOU* obviously that is not universal.

Furthermore the city is kicking in over $25K per unit to further make these units "affordable".

"The seven homebuyers selected by the New York City Housing Partnership will receive $12,750 in down payment assistance along with $12,250 for closing costs for each unit."

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...op-development

Have said this before and will do so again; what a majority of persons in NYC looking at these "affordable" housing units need is *low income housing*. That is not the entire point of the whole scheme.

As have also said the city isn't doing developers or itself any favors by putting persons into these units that cannot afford to pay the rent/mortgage or whatever *ON TIME*. For that they want not much different than private landlords, to see healthy income and so forth.

Then there is the glaring obvious fact that after twenty years owners of these so called "affordable" units can sell without any caps or restrictions. This can and probably does mean long as those selected can hold onto said apartments they are looking at a nice payoff in future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 11:48 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,812,626 times
my god that's insane. 4 mil apartment for $150k ?

Old 08-08-2017, 01:00 AM

148 posts, read 129,952 times
I hope I get in. I'm log number 786905

Old 08-08-2017, 07:08 AM

6 posts, read 9,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinglavidabroka View Post
I hope I get in. I'm log number 786905
How and when did you find out your log number? Email? Snail Mail?

Old 08-08-2017, 08:16 AM

994 posts, read 1,055,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tch56 View Post
How and when did you find out your log number? Email? Snail Mail?
This person is obviously joking with you

Old 08-08-2017, 08:27 AM

6,679 posts, read 6,009,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
my god that's insane. 4 mil apartment for $150k ?
Well, I guess that's why it's called a lottery. Hey... you never know!

Old 08-08-2017, 08:42 AM

20 posts, read 28,607 times
You are incorrect by saying the units can be resold without any restrictions or caps. All of these affordable condos have restrictions and are considered Inclusionary units. They are always meant to be affordable. I have a family member who won a lottery condo and he won't be able to gain millions like others stated due the below policy which is also listed in the offering plan given.

Inclusionary homeownership units would initially be affordable to households earning 80 percent of the HUD income limit. Over time, a fixed appreciation rate would enable the homeowner to realize a modest inflation-adjusted return. The restricted sale price of the unit would be allowed to increase, but such increases but would be capped so that the unit would always remain affordable to households earning no more than 125 percent of the HUD income limit.

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/planning/...ry_housing.pdf

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/planning/z...y-housing.page

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Listen Bub, just because it is not affordable to *YOU* obviously that is not universal.

Furthermore the city is kicking in over $25K per unit to further make these units "affordable".

"The seven homebuyers selected by the New York City Housing Partnership will receive $12,750 in down payment assistance along with $12,250 for closing costs for each unit."

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...op-development

Have said this before and will do so again; what a majority of persons in NYC looking at these "affordable" housing units need is *low income housing*. That is not the entire point of the whole scheme.

As have also said the city isn't doing developers or itself any favors by putting persons into these units that cannot afford to pay the rent/mortgage or whatever *ON TIME*. For that they want not much different than private landlords, to see healthy income and so forth.

Then there is the glaring obvious fact that after twenty years owners of these so called "affordable" units can sell without any caps or restrictions. This can and probably does mean long as those selected can hold onto said apartments they are looking at a nice payoff in future.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:51 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,250,508 times
These lotteries are complete BS. They make the stupid politicians feel good (the created affordable housing!), even if it's a few units.

And it's a LOTTERY. Someone could qualify whose parents own a $5 million apartment down the road. And that person could be a miserable human being.

Who should be eligible for these apartments? How about disabled veterans, cops or firefighters, to start. And there are plenty of other DESERVING people who should be eligible.

I get angry just thinking about this stuff.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:54 AM

994 posts, read 1,055,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
These lotteries are complete BS. They make the stupid politicians feel good (the created affordable housing!), even if it's a few units.

And it's a LOTTERY. Someone could qualify whose parents own a $5 million apartment down the road. And that person could be a miserable human being.

Who should be eligible for these apartments? How about disabled veterans, cops or firefighters, to start. And there are plenty of other DESERVING people who should be eligible.

I get angry just thinking about this stuff.
As an able bodied non veteran or civil servant, am I not "worthy" of affordable housing /ownership?

Old 08-08-2017, 02:24 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,250,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannerundKatze View Post
As an able bodied non veteran or civil servant, am I not "worthy" of affordable housing /ownership?
Yes you are. Move to the Bronx. You have no "right" to live in a building where rich people live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City