Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2017, 04:05 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times

Advertisements

A black youth who happens to be 15 years old with 11 prior felonies critally injured a hero black cop a few nights ago in Brooklyn. His life still hangs in the balance. Most people don't know about it because it doesn't fit the agenda. Here's to Office Veve and his heroic actions. If you are a praying person, he needs some right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 04:14 PM

983 posts, read 931,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Well I'm in East Harlem too here and there and I get the same thing. You've been living there for 26 months and you don't see what's going on? All of those new high rise buildings being built are not for the current residents because they can't afford 1700 - 2000 for a studio. I said it before, that the current residents, some of them will do anything to try to stop "whitey" from moving in, or anyone perceived from having money, so I've seen people hack and spit on the ground in my presence to mark the area as being a ghetto where I don't belong, nor want to be, or they throw garbage on the ground to make such a case. It has nothing to do with you. They don't want to pushed out and some of them are simply uneducated about how to address the problem. Treating people in a hostile manner won't necessarily stop them from moving in, and they can't stop the inevitable.
Oh I definitely see what's going on, I just don't like it. I had rent increases as well, I can't afford those new high rises (although I am in a new-ish building). But people think I must live in one of those.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:28 AM

834 posts, read 1,016,332 times
Is this thread about the guy who worked at the factory not being able to afford to live in NY anymore or is it about minorities and cop-killing?

Did minorities kill all the working-poor and kill one of the cops chasing him? This thread is confusing..

Old 06-06-2017, 11:38 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
Is this thread about the guy who worked at the factory not being able to afford to live in NY anymore or is it about minorities and cop-killing?

Did minorities kill all the working-poor and kill one of the cops chasing him? This thread is confusing..
Well you're writing as an outsider so you'll get a pass, but to summarize many vast areas of NYC were replaced by poorer minority residents many decades ago as people moved to suburbs and the city fell into disrepair. As crime has been cleaned up and real estate values gone through the roof, people have been moving back into those neighborhoods. The ones moving in are vast majority white/asian, the ones moving out are vast majority black/hispanic.

In NYC "Gentrification" = "white people kicking black people out"

(BTW there's basically no factories in NYC, you're either a burger flipper or a lawyer)

Old 06-06-2017, 11:51 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Oh I definitely see what's going on, I just don't like it. I had rent increases as well, I can't afford those new high rises (although I am in a new-ish building). But people think I must live in one of those.
Listen, you are making more than they are, even if isn't a ton more, and they resent that. Some argue that poor people living in the ghetto can't do any better, but they like to leave out the fact that there are people that don't do anything for themselves and don't want to, and want things to stay the same for fear of being pushed out. The people treating you in a hostile manner fear that YOU and people like you are pushing them out, and they will do anything to discourage you from staying there, thinking that will stop them from being pushed out. It's a stupid mentality because they can't control gentrification. They can only wish to deter people, but even that will only last for so long if things are meant to happen. Once enough people move in making more money, they will start demanding that certain things change, like the filthy streets over there. I live in an area where it's unthinkable to see the neighborhood so nasty with trash everywhere (there have been times when it's been windy outside and I have literally been dodging plastic bags and other trash blowing everywhere, rats run over in the middle of the street with their guts left out for days and no one reports it). Just totally unsanitary and disgusting, but those are quality of life issues that these people bank on for keeping the area a ghetto.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:49 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Well you're writing as an outsider so you'll get a pass, but to summarize many vast areas of NYC were replaced by poorer minority residents many decades ago as people moved to suburbs and the city fell into disrepair. As crime has been cleaned up and real estate values gone through the roof, people have been moving back into those neighborhoods. The ones moving in are vast majority white/asian, the ones moving out are vast majority black/hispanic.

(BTW there's basically no factories in NYC, you're either a burger flipper or a lawyer)
Actually the Hispanic population is increasing, aside from Puerto Ricans maybe.

And the middle of the road jobs here would he civil service and lower level professional jobs.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:42 PM

983 posts, read 931,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Listen, you are making more than they are, even if isn't a ton more, and they resent that. Some argue that poor people living in the ghetto can't do any better, but they like to leave out the fact that there are people that don't do anything for themselves and don't want to, and want things to stay the same for fear of being pushed out. The people treating you in a hostile manner fear that YOU and people like you are pushing them out, and they will do anything to discourage you from staying there, thinking that will stop them from being pushed out. It's a stupid mentality because they can't control gentrification. They can only wish to deter people, but even that will only last for so long if things are meant to happen. Once enough people move in making more money, they will start demanding that certain things change, like the filthy streets over there. I live in an area where it's unthinkable to see the neighborhood so nasty with trash everywhere (there have been times when it's been windy outside and I have literally been dodging plastic bags and other trash blowing everywhere, rats run over in the middle of the street with their guts left out for days and no one reports it). Just totally unsanitary and disgusting, but those are quality of life issues that these people bank on for keeping the area a ghetto.
If people resent me for making more than nothing, and think that just because I'm more wealthy than a homeless person and think that means I owe people things, they can **** off. I don't make nearly enough for people to justifiably guilt me about it. Of course, people who see me on the street don't know that, they just assume, probably because they've been trained to assume such things.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:25 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:

Completely inaccurate.

Black and Latinos people who remain in those neighborhoods benefit from better policing, cleaner neighborhoods, better stores, and overall better services. Plenty of Black and Hispanic people have professional or at least middle class jobs.

Likewise I certainly see my share of white junkies on the train, so it's not like the homeless or the dirt poor are all Black.

LeFrak City, Queens had a lot of Section 8 people displaced (mainly African American and Puerto Rican) and the immigrants moving in where South Asian, African, South Americans, etc.

Frankly, I agree that clearly some African American and Puerto Ricans get displaced by gentrification and I think that is good. 1970s Harlem was horrible because the city used certain neighborhoods as dumping grounds were to concentrate super poor people in large numbers, and this was the federal policy then.

Gentrification in neighborhoods like Harlem and Bedstuy certainly doesn't get rid of all poor people, but it definitely brings more money into the neighborhoods, gives them better services and yes the concentration of poverty is REDUCED.

I personally feel SAFER in a gentrified neighborhood, and I'm Black, and there certainly a number of non white people who would agree with me.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:36 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Completely inaccurate.
No it's 100% accurate, when people here talk about gentrification they are talking about white people displacing black people, even if the residents who can stay benefit from the improvements

Old 06-07-2017, 09:09 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,206 times
Quote:
No it's 100% accurate, when people here talk about gentrification they are talking about white people displacing black people, even if the residents who can stay benefit from the improvements
Totally agree, but not just any white people since Eastern European immigrants don't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City