Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 07:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
No it's 100% accurate, when people here talk about gentrification they are talking about white people displacing black people, even if the residents who can stay benefit from the improvements
Some of the new people coming in these neighborhoods are Black.

And MANY white people have been displaced from gentrification. Greenpoint was a working class white neighborhood. Ditto LIC, Williamsburg, much of the West Side of Manhattan, and Chelsea. Those working class white people got gentrified out QUITE some time ago. Many gay white people got gentrified out of places like the West Village and Chelsea as these neighborhoods became high end.

It's only recently that gentrification has become a factor in formerly Black neighborhoods like Harlem or Bedstuy (I say formerly Black because the percentage of Black people has definitely decreased), and as noted residents who remain get plenty of benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 11:51 AM

834 posts, read 1,015,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Well you're writing as an outsider so you'll get a pass, but to summarize many vast areas of NYC were replaced by poorer minority residents many decades ago as people moved to suburbs and the city fell into disrepair. As crime has been cleaned up and real estate values gone through the roof, people have been moving back into those neighborhoods. The ones moving in are vast majority white/asian, the ones moving out are vast majority black/hispanic.

In NYC "Gentrification" = "white people kicking black people out"

(BTW there's basically no factories in NYC, you're either a burger flipper or a lawyer)
NY disproportionate crime stats are older than the US.. The famous story of Five Points predates the United States.. It only got worse up till the recent gentrification, and the only "suburbs" were do to organized crime.. Middle to upper financial-class citizens aren't 'taking it back'..

It's purely social-economics and new-change. It's not some restoration-era.. Feel free to argue against well known NY history though..

Old 06-10-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
NY disproportionate crime stats are older than the US.. The famous story of Five Points predates the United States.. It only got worse up till the recent gentrification, and the only "suburbs" were do to organized crime.. Middle to upper financial-class citizens aren't 'taking it back'..

It's purely social-economics and new-change. It's not some restoration-era.. Feel free to argue against well known NY history though..
The nature of the city's economy changed. Years ago the city depended on hoards of people coming here for blue collar and manufacturing work. Today a lot of blue collar jobs require some sort of certification/licensing and background check. Industries like tourism, retail, education, media, medical, and even social services have expanded while industrial jobs have shrank.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:50 AM

834 posts, read 1,015,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The nature of the city's economy changed. Years ago the city depended on hoards of people coming here for blue collar and manufacturing work. Today a lot of blue collar jobs require some sort of certification/licensing and background check. Industries like tourism, retail, education, media, medical, and even social services have expanded while industrial jobs have shrank.

Yeah I know.. Most people think it's do to a mayor or crime reduction though.. You can probably blame this safely on the lack of understanding how S.N.A.P. and Section 8 work. Most people in the US still believe financial assistance is just a open free for all.. You need proof of residence for both, and existing income for Section 8 housing. S.S.I. you need disabling illness or physical injury.. There are no other welfare systems in the US besides veteran pensions and OASDI/social-security-retirement..

Old 06-15-2017, 09:16 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,914 times
They have projects at prime locations all over manhattan. Even in harlem, the projects on the east get a view of the river. It's ridiculous. With such expensive real estate I cannot sympathize with leechers when others are struggling to get into decent apartment who are working 60 plus hours a week. I am all for gentrification. It is an inherently progressive - therefore positive - thing.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:27 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,596,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Some of the new people coming in these neighborhoods are Black.

And MANY white people have been displaced from gentrification. Greenpoint was a working class white neighborhood. Ditto LIC, Williamsburg, much of the West Side of Manhattan, and Chelsea. Those working class white people got gentrified out QUITE some time ago. Many gay white people got gentrified out of places like the West Village and Chelsea as these neighborho.
There are more mostly white neighborhoods that got gentrified or are getting gentrified:

Astoria (Greek)
Carroll Gardens (Italian)
Hell's Kitchen (Irish and other white ethnic)
Lower East Side (Jewish as well as other whites)
Sunnyside and Woodside - well on their way to being gentrified (Irish and other whites)

Old 06-16-2017, 03:07 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
There are more mostly white neighborhoods that got gentrified or are getting gentrified:

Astoria (Greek)
Carroll Gardens (Italian)
Hell's Kitchen (Irish and other white ethnic)
Lower East Side (Jewish as well as other whites)
Sunnyside and Woodside - well on their way to being gentrified (Irish and other whites)
I agree with your point, but Astoria, Sunnyside, and Woodside aren't exactly white neighborhoods

Old 06-16-2017, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I agree with your point, but Astoria, Sunnyside, and Woodside aren't exactly white neighborhoods
That's why I didn't mention them. Woodside and Sunnyside by the late 90s had large Latino populations, and Astoria has a lot of Latinos AND Middle Easterners.

By the time gentrification became a thing in the Lower East Side, there were a lot of Latinos already there.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:08 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Historically they were.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:16 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Well I'm in East Harlem too here and there and I get the same thing. You've been living there for 26 months and you don't see what's going on? All of those new high rise buildings being built are not for the current residents because they can't afford 1700 - 2000 for a studio. I said it before, that the current residents, some of them will do anything to try to stop "whitey" from moving in, or anyone perceived from having money, so I've seen people hack and spit on the ground in my presence to mark the area as being a ghetto where I don't belong, nor want to be, or they throw garbage on the ground to make such a case. It has nothing to do with you. They don't want to pushed out and some of them are simply uneducated about how to address the problem. Treating people in a hostile manner won't necessarily stop them from moving in, and they can't stop the inevitable.
Dude stop whining and support the local (underground) economy by buying a dime bag. Rather than fill your prescription at the local pharmacy, do it in the streets. The money should be trickling down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City