U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 10:39 PM

37 posts, read 46,065 times

Advertisements

I never lived in NYC however i'v visited enough throughout my life time to see the neighborhoods change. I consider myself a gentrification boaster. I don't care if Manhattan becomes a giant Disneyland. The streets are safer and yuppies are well dressed people, usually fit and attractive. The hood people typcially are native New Yorkers however many are also slobs and poor fashion.

I wouldn't mind if 100% black neighborhoods start to see some more diversity. Blacks in South Central LA got pushed out into Phoenix, Arizona. Maybe Blacks on the East Coast will continue migrating tto Atlanta since it's an affordable, Inland Empire-like sprawl freeway suburbia

As for the Domincanos and Cubans, i can imagine many would move to Inland Florida where it's affordable since Coastal Miami metro is soaring in appreciation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 11:10 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,255,710 times
400,000 people live in public housing you think they will move? Nope.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:15 PM

37 posts, read 46,065 times
Eventually the city will tear them down and build "luxury lofts".

Old 04-26-2017, 11:32 PM

24,060 posts, read 17,467,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving Houston4Austin View Post
Eventually the city will tear them down and build "luxury lofts".
What location is going to want to take in all those poor people at once?

Old 04-26-2017, 11:36 PM

24,060 posts, read 17,467,813 times
Quote:
I never lived in NYC however i'v visited enough throughout my life time to see the neighborhoods change. I consider myself a gentrification boaster. I don't care if Manhattan becomes a giant Disneyland. The streets are safer and yuppies are well dressed people, usually fit and attractive. The hood people typcially are native New Yorkers however many are also slobs and poor fashion.

I wouldn't mind if 100% black neighborhoods start to see some more diversity. Blacks in South Central LA got pushed out into Phoenix, Arizona. Maybe Blacks on the East Coast will continue migrating tto Atlanta since it's an affordable, Inland Empire-like sprawl freeway suburbia

As for the Domincanos and Cubans, i can imagine many would move to Inland Florida where it's affordable since Coastal Miami metro is soaring in appreciation.
You're behind the times. Harlem, Bedstuy, the Bronx due to combinations of gentrification AND immigration are not 100% Black. The only areas in NYC that might be close to all Black would be Northeastern Brooklyn and Southeastern Queens.

With that said, the Latinos (some of whom are Black) also work in the restaurant and service sector. NYC will retain a large Latino population. Many Black people work in the civil service sector, and those people aren't going anywhere.

With that said, NYC has always experienced demographic change and people will always come and go.

Overall I like gentrification, due to the better maintained neighborhoods, amenities, and stores.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:44 AM

236 posts, read 314,421 times
Quote:

This entire comment is predjudice and borderline racist. Yuppies do not make NYC safe and gentrified neighborhoods only make NYC "look safer". I've lived in NYC my entire life and I am black who lives in public housing. And my neighborhood is 100% gentrified and there's no difference really besides nicer stores. More expensive food. As for fashion, it is obvious you're not a native New Yorker. New York was built on difference and prides itself on such. Also, stop assuming poor people are slobs this is not true at all. I know many yuppies who don't care about themselves. Nyc is also a food hub. Just because someone is poor doesn't mean their fat. I myself work on the regular and I know many poor folk who take care of ourselves. Also the term "hood" has a different meaning here. Again we can see you're not from here. Hood means more than what you described. I think you should do your research before claiming you know about NYC from your visits. You need to live here before you can comment on our poor or our people of color. Also not everyone in public housing is poor. Especially not in my neighborhood. I see many people who live here who aren't, myself included. You're welcome to your opinion, but I hope for your sake you don't meet the "wrong New Yorker" who won't be so nice as I am when hearing ignorant crap like this.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:06 AM

379 posts, read 185,984 times
Quote:

Nope, you're not the only who likes seeing third-world towns transform into vibrant, artistic, and industrious communities.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:10 AM

49 posts, read 38,649 times
Default I am from here.

I've been in NYC for 28-years and this poster is absolutely correct. I actually don't like the gentrification, so getting out of my "yuppie" Manhattan neighborhood and exploring other neighborhoods has always been a real treat for me. If you deny the existence of "ghetto people" in NYC and the problems that result from their behavior, I'm really not sure what I can say to you.

I live in a "yuppie" neighborhood, even though I'm not a "yuppie." We have a Salvation Army in the neighborhood as well as a few soup kitchens in the area. These worthwhile services pull people down from the uptown "ghetto" areas, and the behavior I see is astounding. You can deny it all you want, but it is common knowledge, among even white liberals, although they would never say it. I'm not happy to say it, but it is the reality.

I used to go up to Harlem all the time because I shopped at a (now closed) Pathmark on 125th Street. Many people were decidedly hostile; one young black woman loudly called me a "white cracker," and she did it loud enough so the entire store heard her.

Another time, two young black women accidentally bumped into each other on the street. Well, you would have thought it was WW3. After ten minutes, the police had to be called to restore order. I take no please in assuring you that this is the reality, not the exception. I have lived in NYC all my adult life.

Last edited by newvoyage; 04-27-2017 at 06:17 AM..

Old 04-27-2017, 05:54 AM

38 posts, read 49,894 times
Personally, I am always happy when a neighborhood cleans up its act. I do not think that all communities of color are gross, unworthy of respect, or full of miscreants, by the way.

I have a lot of conflicted feelings on the matter. It just so happens that a lot of non-white communities are not good ones by many metrics, but how much of that has to do with poverty rather than behavior? How much of that has to do with race? I'd say very little. It has more to do with class than race. Any poor neighborhood isn't a good one, even if it is white. So there are lots of factors that go into creating a ghetto neighborhood and not just race.

Gentrification is a double edged sword and YES, even white neighborhoods gentrify (see Astoria). Nobody likes to see people priced out of their homes and nobody likes to see rents go up astronomically. But along with that comes a bunch of good things like safety, clean streets, etc. It's a trade off.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:00 AM

38 posts, read 49,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melle7790 View Post
This entire comment is predjudice and borderline racist. Yuppies do not make NYC safe and gentrified neighborhoods only make NYC "look safer". I've lived in NYC my entire life and I am black who lives in public housing. And my neighborhood is 100% gentrified and there's no difference really besides nicer stores. More expensive food. As for fashion, it is obvious you're not a native New Yorker. New York was built on difference and prides itself on such. Also, stop assuming poor people are slobs this is not true at all. I know many yuppies who don't care about themselves. Nyc is also a food hub. Just because someone is poor doesn't mean their fat. I myself work on the regular and I know many poor folk who take care of ourselves. Also the term "hood" has a different meaning here. Again we can see you're not from here. Hood means more than what you described. I think you should do your research before claiming you know about NYC from your visits. You need to live here before you can comment on our poor or our people of color. Also not everyone in public housing is poor. Especially not in my neighborhood. I see many people who live here who aren't, myself included. You're welcome to your opinion, but I hope for your sake you don't meet the "wrong New Yorker" who won't be so nice as I am when hearing ignorant crap like this.
I kinda disagree with your post. I am also a native New Yorker, born and raised in Queens. I live in Electchester, which is right next to Pomonok which used to be literally one of NYC's safest NYCHA developments. It was mostly populated by Jewish people, actually, and there are still lots of elderly Jewish people left. It was a place where quite literally you could sit on your stoop and hang out in total safety... which is pretty much unheard of for public housing in NYC. Of course there was always the odd crime, but it's NYC. If you go on YouTube you will see lots of documentaries made by people who grew up in Pomonok from the '50s-'70s recalling their youth fondly. Notice their faces: almost all of them are white.

If you look far enough you'll also see recent videos of fights and "popping off" in Pomonok on Youtube too. The people in those videos are all young black kids. Almost all the videos of Pomonok which include violence have black kids in them. In my own lifetime (I'm 28) I've noticed a sharp increase in crime in Pomonok and I won't walk there anymore, which is sad. Literally two weeks ago I saw a kid with a steel bat beating another kid with a knife. This kind of stuff is disgusting, and what makes it worse is that current residents of Pomonok seem to think it's "cool" to be "hard." They really just look like uneducated losers.

I know that race does not equal automatically being a thug. So I want to ask you the question: what do you attribute the steep rise in crime to? Are NYCHA metrics now different from what they were in the '50s-'70s? Are people let into NYCHA now more low income than they were back then? Does NYCHA have lower standards now, and the people they let in also just happen to be black? I have heard rumors that there was a class action lawsuit against Pomonok and other NYCHAs because they were too white. I find that disgusting, to be honest. Who are they to tell people their community is too white?

Just thinking out loud and I mean no offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City