U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 12:20 AM

2,088 posts, read 968,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I hate being a renter. If I were a owner, I probably would not care. Please don't come to my neighborhood. It does not need to be gentrified. Landlords view these people as walking dollar signs. I cannot compete. I honestly do not know what I would do if I got priced out. I can't afford what is out there.
Hence the need for low income/affordable housing. Landlords should be given more incentives from the city in terms of tax breaks or something to off set the lure of charging higher rent due to the current supply and demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 05:10 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,257,836 times
Harlem 110-125th is gentrified nicely now. I hope it keeps moving uptown.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:53 PM

5,679 posts, read 5,906,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Hence the need for low income/affordable housing. Landlords should be given more incentives from the city in terms of tax breaks or something to off set the lure of charging higher rent due to the current supply and demand.
The double edged sword. I am essentially screwed by both ends. I cannot compete with generational wealth and dual income earners. The folks with rental vouchers bring the quality of neighborhoods down.

I visited the affordable housing thread a couple of times. Affordable? What a joke. I am not paying that. Those programs are not geared to people like myself.

The only thing I can do is to continue to live significantly below my means and save. Hopefully, I can stay employed and continue to make at least what I am making now.

The frugal forum is my favorite. What can I do? Sometimes, I wish I had a proper spouse.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:46 PM

6,541 posts, read 1,930,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
I've always lived in New York, and have seen neighborhoods change for the worse.. I consider myself 100% against gentrification. I am tired of seeing people pushed out the ghetto because some rich white trustfund. Baby living off mommy and daddy's money can feel edgy. The streets have become a military occupation by police protecting the yuppies, that is very similar to the West Bank in Palestine., or Baghdad. and yuppies are smug, pompous, arrogant pieces of trash who walk around like they own us hood people as slaves all high on the white privilege horse. The hood people typcially are native New Yorkers however and are the strongest and most resilient people you will ever meet in the world.

I wouldn't care if 100% of these gentrifiers and yuppies stayed the fuuuck out of my hood. My hood and others like it are already homes to diverse populations of black people, immigrants, and working class whites who have deep roots here.
Well, I'd certainly hope that you're the only one who is happy to see your neighbors be victims of crimes.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:43 PM

8,127 posts, read 3,440,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
Harlem 110-125th is gentrified nicely now. I hope it keeps moving uptown.
Where is this at? East Harlem certainly isn't gentrified nicely, and neither are parts of West Harlem. Gentrification in Harlem is on a block-by-block basis.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:23 PM

24,084 posts, read 17,489,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Where is this at? East Harlem certainly isn't gentrified nicely, and neither are parts of West Harlem. Gentrification in Harlem is on a block-by-block basis.
Riverside Drive, Broadway, and Amsterdam Avenue in those blocks are all pretty much gentrified, with the exception of Grant Houses/NYCHA. Along 8th Avenue is pretty gentrified, and so is 7th Avenue somewhat. It is block by block.

All along 125 th Street is in various stages development from East to West.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:55 PM

8,127 posts, read 3,440,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Riverside Drive, Broadway, and Amsterdam Avenue in those blocks are all pretty much gentrified, with the exception of Grant Houses/NYCHA. Along 8th Avenue is pretty gentrified, and so is 7th Avenue somewhat. It is block by block.

All along 125 th Street is in various stages development from East to West.
Oh please. My point still stands. When I'm West Harlem I do not just go walking down streets care free because some of them are still as ghetto as ever with thugs standing on the corner. It is still very much a block by block thing.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:43 PM

19,476 posts, read 34,533,018 times
Quote:
Oh please. My point still stands. When I'm West Harlem I do not just go walking down streets care free because some of them are still as ghetto as ever with thugs standing on the corner. It is still very much a block by block thing.
I agree, it is a block by block thing still in Harlem.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-09-2017, 08:51 PM

276 posts, read 167,285 times
Quote:
This Gentifacation thing is so over rated, I agree with you. I was in Williamsburg Brooklyn, the other day, by Nostrand ave. And I was asking my self, where is it. Like you say, it's a block, by block thing, and I was over by 145th st. , and it's the same thing.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:33 PM

2,088 posts, read 968,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
The double edged sword. I am essentially screwed by both ends. I cannot compete with generational wealth and dual income earners. The folks with rental vouchers bring the quality of neighborhoods down.

I visited the affordable housing thread a couple of times. Affordable? What a joke. I am not paying that. Those programs are not geared to people like myself.

The only thing I can do is to continue to live significantly below my means and save. Hopefully, I can stay employed and continue to make at least what I am making now.

The frugal forum is my favorite. What can I do? Sometimes, I wish I had a proper spouse.
lol. Well, good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or