Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 01:38 AM

499 posts, read 790,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyberrios View Post
This Gentifacation thing is so over rated, I agree with you. I was in Williamsburg Brooklyn, the other day, by Nostrand ave. And I was asking my self, where is it. Like you say, it's a block, by block thing, and I was over by 145th st. , and it's the same thing.
Nostrand Avenue isn't in Williamsburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 06:54 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,751,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
OP would get a kick out of this article. Happened in Bushwick.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...ce-investigate
Lol. The guy sounds like a madman on two wheels actually.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:09 AM

12,741 posts, read 8,166,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I agree, it is a block by block thing still in Harlem.
What do I know? According to him, I don't even live in NYC, but he supposedly lives in Harlem and is calling the entire place gentrified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyberrios View Post
This Gentifacation thing is so over rated, I agree with you. I was in Williamsburg Brooklyn, the other day, by Nostrand ave. And I was asking my self, where is it. Like you say, it's a block, by block thing, and I was over by 145th st. , and it's the same thing.
It is. Harlem is changing, but the change is still slow as far as I'm concerned (like watching paint dry). I was up there this week, and plenty of my friends and I are still considered to be "out of place" until we step into the building we're going to. Quality of life issues are still rampant, and I don't see those things changing anytime soon despite all of the luxury high rises coming online. My friends are looking forward to the Whole Foods opening on 125th because they have such limited options in the immediate area, and things like organic produce cost an arm and a leg. The streets are still incredibly filthy, even on the so called "good blocks" (I'm always on guard for a rat running out from some place because Harlem is filled with them), and I sure as hell don't even think about walking around with my cell phone out. My eyes are focused on my surroundings constantly (that's always the case, but even moreso when I'm up there). You have those crazies and meth heads walking all around (particularly in East Harlem).

Old 05-10-2017, 02:18 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,185,039 times
It's funny how people are so appalled that someone would Support gentrifiers getting jumped, but then then turn around and support the institutional violence of displacing poor people from their homes, and even celebrate this as a good thing. As if kicking someone of out their home is just a fine and dandy thing to do.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:24 PM

346 posts, read 380,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
It's funny how people are so appalled that someone would Support gentrifiers getting jumped, but then then turn around and support the institutional violence of displacing poor people from their homes, and even celebrate this as a good thing. As if kicking someone of out their home is just a fine and dandy thing to do.
Neither is good but it has been going on in some form for many years but to celebrate people being jumped says a lot about you.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:47 PM

329 posts, read 297,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What do I know? According to him, I don't even live in NYC, but he supposedly lives in Harlem and is calling the entire place gentrified.

It is. Harlem is changing, but the change is still slow as far as I'm concerned (like watching paint dry). I was up there this week, and plenty of my friends and I are still considered to be "out of place" until we step into the building we're going to. Quality of life issues are still rampant, and I don't see those things changing anytime soon despite all of the luxury high rises coming online. My friends are looking forward to the Whole Foods opening on 125th because they have such limited options in the immediate area, and things like organic produce cost an arm and a leg. The streets are still incredibly filthy, even on the so called "good blocks" (I'm always on guard for a rat running out from some place because Harlem is filled with them), and I sure as hell don't even think about walking around with my cell phone out. My eyes are focused on my surroundings constantly (that's always the case, but even moreso when I'm up there). You have those crazies and meth heads walking all around (particularly in East Harlem).
Thank you for this great post. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:18 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,833,198 times
EVERYONE is pissed, on all sides, and it's boiling over. Like eggs in a sandstorm though...

Old 05-14-2017, 01:26 AM

368 posts, read 449,627 times
Well i feel somewhat satisfied when i see it happen in brooklyn or harlem. I mean i dont like seeing ppl get beat up, but they dont belong there, there contributing to minority homelessness and have to pay for that.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:18 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,384,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Well i feel somewhat satisfied when i see it happen in brooklyn or harlem. I mean i dont like seeing ppl get beat up, but they dont belong there, there contributing to minority homelessness and have to pay for that.
Anyone is allowed to live wherever they want as long as they can pay for it

Old 05-14-2017, 01:29 PM

33,389 posts, read 46,804,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
Nostrand Avenue isn't in Williamsburg.
The poster said they were in Williamsburg, by Nostrand Avenue. The way I read it, I imagined that the poster was on Lee Avenue or another street very close, because after you cross Flushing on Lee Avenue you're right in Bed-Stuy, and on Nostrand Avenue. I could be wrong though, and it could just be a case of the poster not knowing their neighborhood boundaries well.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City