Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 03:07 PM

329 posts, read 433,194 times

Advertisements

does anybody know how a household is defined in the food stamps program? For e.g. if a relative that has no income or assets but stays with a family for free who are themselves above the income eligibility, can this relative still qualify?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 03:34 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam007 View Post
does anybody know how a household is defined in the food stamps program? For e.g. if a relative that has no income or assets but stays with a family for free who are themselves above the income eligibility, can this relative still qualify?

Thanks
If the lone relative is staying with family that is above the limit, why would they need stamps?

Anyway this is from SNAP page:

Households must meet income tests UNLESS all members are receiving Title IV (TANF), SSI, or in some places general assistance.

Most households must meet both the gross and net income tests, but a household with an elderly person or a person who is receiving certain types of disability payments only has to meet the net income test. Gross income means a household's total, non-excluded income, before any deductions have been made. Net income means gross income minus allowable deductions.

Households, except those noted, that have income over the amounts listed below cannot get SNAP benefits.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:41 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
Sounds like you have a freeloading family member in your mist and you want him/her to start collecting benefits to be able to contribute. Tell the freeloading relative that they can eat and stay for free if they clean 24/7 or do other things, otherwise that's going to be a freeloader for life.

totally sorry if I misread this, but I think i got it right!

Old 05-20-2017, 03:45 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Sounds like you have a freeloading family member in your mist and you want him/her to start collecting benefits to be able to contribute. Tell the freeloading relative that they can eat and stay for free if they clean 24/7 or do other things, otherwise that's going to be a freeloader for life.

totally sorry if I misread this, but I think i got it right!
Sounded more like the OP is looking for free stuff. I mean how much is one person eating...not to mention they would get next to nothing being single with no kids.

Why doesn't the person inquire about it at the SNAP office or even a millisecond Google search?

Old 05-20-2017, 04:20 PM

3,731 posts, read 3,467,022 times
Looking at OP's posting history

Appears to be a female with fairly new baby who owns a home in queens and also a condo. Complained her property taxes were high this year and how does the STAR discount work for people like her with multiple properties.

Also she asked if she qualified for access a ride program because she used a cane.

Basically many of her posts ask about different programs she may benefit from financially, so I assume she is asking about SNAP for herself or family member in her (Or one of her) home(s).

Old 05-20-2017, 04:47 PM

329 posts, read 433,194 times
yes, relative living with us who doesn't technically have a disability but cannot work. He's in his 50's and we have a lot of respect for him due to the past. Irrelevant to discussion here though. I've managed to get him free healthcare through locally offered programs but looking for food stamps to help with costs

Old 05-20-2017, 04:56 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
That is a sucky situation to be in at 50 and not being able to work, but not being able to qualify for disability. Sorry I said anything negative, I have some empathy, because many of us can and will be in this kind of situation at some point.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:49 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam007 View Post
yes, relative living with us who doesn't technically have a disability but cannot work. He's in his 50's and we have a lot of respect for him due to the past. Irrelevant to discussion here though. I've managed to get him free healthcare through locally offered programs but looking for food stamps to help with costs
I think he can but you may have to provide a letter or something saying that he is living with you but you are not supporting him. I had to do that when I let a friend live with me while she underwent cancer treatment and she applied for rent and utility assistance.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:00 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
You can apply for snap. Family is spouse and offspring children. Cousins, BIL, aunties, and gramps get to apply as individuals.

Applicant could say i pay for a room , and will be eligible, not much but something. Ssi as well.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:01 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
If you cant claim the visitor for taxes, they can get approved. If the visitor has savings, it will be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City