U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 01:12 AM

1,003 posts, read 818,742 times

Advertisements

I no longer live in NYC, but my family there says it's really gone downhill, especially since DeBlasio came into office.

Yet this New York Post article says otherwise: New York City has never been better than it is today | New York Post

Quote:
Yet here we are, a city that has never been so much in demand. In my 67-year lifetime, the five boroughs have never been so full: Our population is soaring toward 9 million; most parts of town bustle with energy and investment; and crime has fallen to historic lows.

I marvel over the blossoming. I can walk down the Hull Street block where I grew up without fearing for my life — which wasn’t the case 25 years ago when it was strewn with empty lots and menace lurked behind every parked car.
Do people who still live in NYC agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 01:51 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,565,327 times
As far as crime and quality of life goes, things have improved a lot over the years.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:04 AM

23,262 posts, read 16,076,440 times
Agreed. Crime and quality of life have improved. Of course as that's happened, areas formerly considered bad have skyrocketed in rent. Causing some of the complaints you have on this forum.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:48 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,555,448 times
Things have continued to improve under De Blasio, largely in spite of him. The forces changing NYC are mostly outside of the mayor's control, though they were set in motion in part by mayoral actions in the late 80s and early 90s.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:12 AM

849 posts, read 453,129 times
Definitely better than it was decades ago, but I'm not sure we're better off than we were 1 or 2 years ago... it seems that the amount of garbage and dog **** and hobo **** lying around (at least in my neighborhood) and the number of times people start harassing people for money on the street is higher now than it was last year, etc... But safety is definitely much improved

Old 05-03-2017, 11:35 AM

4,841 posts, read 7,864,784 times
Is it better then 25 years ago, yes.

5 years ago, no!

Old 05-03-2017, 11:46 AM

14,970 posts, read 16,548,069 times
Depending on the criteria, you can say NYC has never been better, or never been worse.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:47 AM

491 posts, read 530,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Agreed. Crime and quality of life have improved. Of course as that's happened, areas formerly considered bad have skyrocketed in rent. Causing some of the complaints you have on this forum.

What nobody seems to get is that's the reason for the crime statistic dip.. Someone making 65k+ isn't going to shoplift or steal the wheels off cars..

Also all the people you see complaining here aren't even part of the migrating demographics.. They are people on trust funds, living in six-figure households, or well-paid STEM workers who just need something to complain about and are as disconnected as the examples of plutocracy they so freely throw around.. But that's America in 2017..

FYI: Nothing is more annoying to people who are actually effected by stuff like this than spoiled kids and politicians using them as tools to push dictation agendas. Speaking as someone who grew up on that level of society..

Old 05-03-2017, 11:56 AM

23,262 posts, read 16,076,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
What nobody seems to get is that's the reason for the crime statistic dip.. Someone making 65k+ isn't going to shoplift or steal the wheels off cars..

Also all the people you see complaining here aren't even part of the migrating demographics.. They are people on trust funds, living in six-figure households, or well-paid STEM workers who just need something to complain about and are as disconnected as the examples of plutocracy they so freely throw around.. But that's America in 2017..

FYI: Nothing is more annoying to people who are actually effected by stuff like this than spoiled kids and politicians using them as tools to push dictation agendas. Speaking as someone who grew up on that level of society..
The people complaining here are New Yorkers who can't afford neighborhoods that used to be affordable to them. They have some very valid reasons to complain.

If you're going to comment at least know what you're talking about.

For the most part gentrified neighborhoods don't have trust fund kids.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:38 PM

1,721 posts, read 706,193 times
It's true, some neighborhoods are getting better every year due to development
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or