Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 06:28 AM

782 posts, read 858,375 times

Advertisements

I was in California last month (Monterey County to be specific), and you can buy Avocados from farm stands there... you can get 6 (yes, 6) for $1. It was in awe. Artickokes too.. like 8 for $1.

Still though..I consider $1.25 to be a good price for an Avocado. I usually see them here (in the completely non-hipster part of brooklyn) for 2 for $3. So I don't understand what the fuss is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 07:02 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
I was in California last month (Monterey County to be specific), and you can buy Avocados from farm stands there... you can get 6 (yes, 6) for $1. It was in awe. Artickokes too.. like 8 for $1.

Still though..I consider $1.25 to be a good price for an Avocado. I usually see them here (in the completely non-hipster part of brooklyn) for 2 for $3. So I don't understand what the fuss is about.
$1.25 is decent, but it's not $1.25 anymore. The past weekend at Fairway it was $2.5 and fairway usually has okay prices on avocados. Even at Costco it was more than $1.25.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:20 AM

983 posts, read 930,933 times
I'm glad I just don't like these gross green slimeballs.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:59 AM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
No I meant people born in NYC.

And people within NYC vary so much anyway, someone from Mott Haven likely has little in common with someone from Tottenville even if they were both born and raised within city limits.
Neither Mott Haven naturals nor those of Tottenville are hipsters. And if you see an alleged hipster from those areas, you'll be able to see the fakeness a mile away - trust me on that one.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:59 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I didn't ignore it. Yes I know avocados will cost more... Boo hoo... Well we can always get some more toxic food from China if push comes to shove. How does that sound? Hey it's VERY cheap and also full of God knows what, but yeah that stupid "excessive" border tax... So stupid... Everyone loves CHEAP goods until there's a recall. Maybe you forgot about all of them from places like China. I haven't. Ultimately you get what you pay for. There's no such thing as a good cheap deal. There's always a catch... Always.
LMAO

America benefits substantially from trade. All the imperialism of dozens of countries for their resources. i can possibly only name less than 5 countries in this world that allows poor people to be able to get 6 grand in pharmaceuticals for FREE. Americans are highly entitled and you will notice that the more you travel around the world. Its only fair that other countries are able to prosper as well, don't you guys want people to stay in their own countries?

These same people want a border tax and "fairer trade", but will complain about paying an extra 20 cents for an avocado. Why? because these people complain all day anyway.

Last edited by cheyenne2134; 05-05-2017 at 11:19 AM..

Old 05-05-2017, 11:15 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Neither Mott Haven naturals nor those of Tottenville are hipsters. And if you see an alleged hipster from those areas, you'll be able to see the fakeness a mile away - trust me on that one.
I didn't expect the hipsters to be from those areas, but there are plenty of NYC born hipsters. NYC is the birthplace of hipsterism (think Greenwich Village back in the 50s and 60s), so of course there will be native born NY hipsters.

My cousin lived in Brooklyn his whole life and he's a total hipster, he used to dress like a fancy hobo from the 1920s.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
LMAO

America benefits substantially from trade. All the imperialism of dozens of countries for their resources. i can possibly only name less than 5 countries in this world that allows poor people to be able to afford 6 grand in pharmaceuticals for FREE. Americans are highly entitled and you will notice that the more you travel around the world. Its only fair that other countries are able to prosper as well, don't you guys want people to stay in their own countries?

These same people want a border tax and "fairer trade", but will complain about paying an extra 20 cents for an avocado. Why? because these people complain all day anyway.
Conservatives are supposed to be in favor of the free market anyway

Old 05-05-2017, 11:24 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,354 times
Quote:

free market is made up, no such thing has existed since dinosaurs.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:26 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
Quote:
I think as we've all seen there's actually different kinds of conservatives. There's fiscal conservatives who believe in low taxes, freer markets/trade, and etc. Then there's the social conservatives who all support Trump. But the two aren't mutually exclusive. And with liberals you have the socially liberal and then there's the free loading liberals who may not be tolerate of diversity, but would be the first in line for a handout.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
free market is made up, no such thing has existed since dinosaurs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I think as we've all seen there's actually different kinds of conservatives. There's fiscal conservatives who believe in low taxes, freer markets/trade, and etc. Then there's the social conservatives who all support Trump. But the two aren't mutually exclusive. And with liberals you have the socially liberal and then there's the free loading liberals who may not be tolerate of diversity, but would be the first in line for a handout.
Yeah there are different kinds of conservatives, some favor protectionism. But in general it seems like laissez faire capitalism is a pillar of conservatism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City