Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 06:58 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Sorry, just can't believe she was out on the street alone in that neighborhood at 3:30 a.m. A woman with no NYC street sense doing that ? Crazy.Just crazy.
Yeah. I wonder if she was drunk. Can't believe someone walking around that hour & in Harlem no less, sober. I know people say some parts of NYC are perfectly safe to walk around alone in that hour but I think that's crazy. Unless you're a block away from some club, concert venue or sports arena that's just letting people out, most areas in NYC are desolate at that hour of the night. Even in a touristy area.
Desolate equals unsafe in my book.

Last edited by Aeran; 05-06-2017 at 07:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 07:10 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I used to think that way but not anymore. I live in Midtown West and you can't pay me to walk around alone even within a 2 block radius from my apt at 3 AM (even though I live in a touristy area, well lit with a lot of hotels & buildings with doormen inside). At times when I'm up that late, I look out the window and it's desolate at that time of night with only the occasional guy or guys walking around. No thank you. I marvel at the fact that when I was in my 20's, I thought nothing of taking the subway and walking around at 2AM in the morning and felt totally fine. I guess your mind set changes when you get older.
Its true, you get older and you don't like being out on the street that late any more....in my 20s, forget about it.....now? I'm like "well, look at the time, gotta go..."

And look at that, you won't even go outside in Midtown that late....I dont blame you

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-06-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
City College is up the hill from where this woman got assaulted, and it's a major academic institution. The area is not that dangerous. This assault happened, but I've seen blood on the E train station in Midtown.
Wow. Then things have really changed. Because City College back in the late 90's was not safe. My brother went there and I often heard stories of him or his classmates getting mugged. Nothing serious. But as I recall, the surrounding area was no where near safe & very run down. Kind of like how the Columbia area was in the late 80's. Haven't been by those parts in ages so it may have considerably cleaned up by now.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:22 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Yeah. I wonder if she was drunk. Can't believe someone walking around that hour & in Harlem no less, sober. I know people say some parts of NYC are perfectly safe to walk around alone in that hour but I think that's crazy. Unless you're a block away from some club, concert venue or sports arena that's just letting people out, most areas in NYC are desolate in that hour of the night. Even in a touristy area.
Desolate equals unsafe in my book.
I disagree that Manhattan in general is desolate at that time, but far enough uptown on the side blocks I'm sure it could be

Old 05-06-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Its true, you get older and you don't like being out on the street that late any more....in my 20s, forget about it.....now? I'm like "well, look at the time, gotta go..."

And look at that, you won't even go outside in Midtown that late....I dont blame you
Yeah. Like I said, now you couldn't even pay me to go out that late at night by myself. But when I was in my 20's. Forget it. I remember even taking the subway at that hour somewhere in B'klyn after hanging out with friends and that was pre gentrification, "bad" B'klyn. Went to the projects too with a friend whose mother lived there and it wasn't one of those tame projects either. It was somewhere in the Upper East Side and one of those Far Rockaway projects. Mind you it wasn't at 3AM in the morning but it was late at night. Now? I can't even walk by a NYCHA without feeling all alert and aware. And I won't go pass thru a NYCHA ever. I've become a wuss in my old age. Lol. But really, when you're young you really think nothing bad can ever happen to you. You have this foolish bravery.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:06 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Wow. Then things have really changed. Because City College back in the late 90's was not safe. My brother went there and I often heard stories of him or his classmates getting mugged. Nothing serious. But as I recall, the surrounding area was no where near safe & very run down. Kind of like how the Columbia area was in the late 80's. Haven't been by those parts in ages so it may have considerably cleaned up by now.
It's a lot better. It's not perfect, but it's nowhere near where it was in the 80s. Columbia pretty much bought out all of Morningside Heights. More recently Columbia bought Manhattanville from 125 to 133 on the Westside of Broadway, and on the East Side of Broadway Columbia bought from 131st to 135th, as well as buying property on Riverside drive to at least 135th Street. They've opened up two new buildings on 125th Street and three more buildings are actively under construction. Three of the older buildings in Manhattanville they've renovated and the rest are slated for demolition in the next few years.

Other investors have bought the small parts of Manhattanville not bought out by Columbia and not owned by NYCHA. Hamilton Heights is rapidly gentrifying. The neighborhood certain still has a ghetto element, but as noted this is not the 80s!

Both Columbia and City College orginally moved to Harlem because uptown was cheaper because it was poor, and in recent years this has helped both of the expand considerably. CUNY is considering moving other operations to Harlem.

https://commercialobserver.com/2017/...anhattanville/

Here's where CUNY is helping startup businesses in Harlem.
https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/job...-entrepreneurs

Old 05-06-2017, 08:14 PM

1,184 posts, read 720,377 times
I would never walk in that area that late also. Just wait it out until sunrise. She should have ran instead of trying to grab her bag and become a toothless punching bag

Old 05-06-2017, 08:39 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,654 times
NYC is full of predators that belong in jail or in a mental hospital..Instead they are roaming the streets. That is a fact so shove it NYwriterdude.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:40 PM

983 posts, read 931,862 times
Quote:
The area directly around CCNY (at least on the north and west side, up the hill) are okay. I don't think I'd like to be wandering around Frederick Douglass and 135th at odd hours, but Convent and 140th or Amsterdam and 140th seem okay enough to me.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:45 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
I used to think that way but not anymore. I live in Midtown West and you couldn't pay me to walk around alone even within a 2 block radius from my apt at 3 AM (even though I live in a touristy area, well lit with a lot of hotels & buildings with doormen inside). At times when I'm up that late, I look out the window and it's desolate at that time of night with only the occasional guy or guys walking around. No thank you. I marvel at the fact that when I was in my 20's, I thought nothing of taking the subway and walking around at 2AM in the morning (and at times with headphones on I'm embarrassed to say) and felt totally fine. I guess your mind set changes when you get older.
Hmm I'm in Manhattan super late at night, in various parts of Lower Manhattan and Midtown, and there always seems to be some level of activity on the streets. I rarely feel like I'm in a completely desolate environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City