Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 12:18 PM

12 posts, read 12,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Broadway Junction is part of ENY
Source?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 12:25 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaveiaone View Post
Source?
https://ohbcyp.wordpress.com/

[vimeo]102171790[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/102171790

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nycha/do...rownsville.pdf

https://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/ocean-hill-playground

NYC hoping to transform Broadway Junction into commercial center

MTA/New York City Transit Subway Line Information

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-27-2017, 12:37 PM

12 posts, read 12,575 times
None of those links address the issue of whether Broadway Junction is located within the neighborhood of Ocean Hill. Ocean Hill and Brownsville are historically linked, but I'm not asking about that.

I see no principled basis (historical maps, neighborhood feel, infrastructural barriers) for the often repeated assertion that Broadway Junction is in East New York. Most maps of Ocean Hill include Van Sinderen within it, and thus Broadway Junction. And most maps of East New York don't even include Paphos, let alone Broadway Junction. So I'm just wondering -- what's the basis for the assertion?

Old 11-27-2017, 12:45 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
None of those links address the issue of whether Broadway Junction is located within the neighborhood of Ocean Hill. Ocean Hill and Brownsville are historically linked, but I'm not asking about that.

I see no principled basis (historical maps, neighborhood feel, infrastructural barriers) for the often repeated assertion that Broadway Junction is in East New York. Most maps of Ocean Hill include Van Sinderen within it, and thus Broadway Junction. And most maps of East New York don't even include Paphos, let alone Broadway Junction. So I'm just wondering -- what's the basis for the assertion?
It's not. The actual part of the A/C train at Broadway Junction station, was originally called Broadway-East New York. I don't know what else to tell you. The city hasn't even figured out a lot of neighborhood boundaries in the Bronx yet; Brooklyn is a bit more established. I've always heard it as Ocean Hill-Brownsville growing up. The real estate industry is trying to associate Ocean Hill with Bed-Stuy now because that makes it easier for properties to sell. But feel free to see it as what's more convenient for you.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-27-2017, 12:56 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
The area sucks whether or not it's Ocean Hill or East New York, I don't see why it matters what neighborhood Broadway Juntion is located in lol

Old 11-27-2017, 01:20 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Is there a place in ENY that is conducive for offices with thousands of workers? Why not grand concourse which has a wide avenue and subway + metro north access?
Broadway Junction is more 'boondock' than Grand Concourse, with a lot of vacant land! And 5 different subway lines plus an LIRR, connecting 6 different neighborhoods make BJ a major hub!

And for those who want to say 'The East' will change in a hundred years, I know folk that live there who will say, "that 90 years off of that".......!

Old 11-27-2017, 05:22 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:

Broadway Junction is part and parcel of "The New York City Transit Authority EAST NEW YORK YARD."
That should give you a clue.
Also East New York is Community board 5, Ocean Hill/Brownsville is Community Board 16. Broadway Junction is in Community Board 5.
Map Here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...11915564255897
It is close to the border line though.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-27-2017 at 05:37 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 05:25 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
Good with all the 60% AMI housing going up in that area maybe the city can keep all it's overly paid government workers in that area and house them and cap their incomes and ridiculous pensions and bennies that the private sector do not get. Win/Win

Old 11-27-2017, 05:31 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
Since it seems the city is no longer interested in keeping a healthy mix of low to moderate incomes for their housing program these days (80-100% ami's have basically been scrapped on all projects going forward for the most part unless the developer has deeper pockets and the remaining ones who want to cater to higher incomes now just do 120-165% ami'ers :/ ), they can keep the entire area dedicated to one stupid income band and pay them accordingly if they are municipal workers. They already have a 5% preference anyway for nearly all housing lotteries. Look at the Bedford Amory fiasco news. Originally it was going to be thousands of apartments or incomes spread between 30 and 120 and well now because of people screaming bloody murder it's only going go to be for those making homeless plus 30-60% ami. yeah, good luck with that. And what a wonderful gift for those making 60% ami and below, and the hoardes of homeless who come here cuz they know there is a right to housing.

This city really turns a jaundiced eye on the middle class (the real middle class btw, not those pushing 200K trying to claim middle class status in nyc.. nah, sorry, not buying that)

Old 11-28-2017, 12:01 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Broadway Junction is part and parcel of "The New York City Transit Authority EAST NEW YORK YARD."
That should give you a clue.
Also East New York is Community board 5, Ocean Hill/Brownsville is Community Board 16. Broadway Junction is in Community Board 5.
Map Here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...11915564255897
It is close to the border line though.
I have no idea why would you even bother to prove Bway Junction is ENY... Every fool knows that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City