U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 12:07 AM

1,786 posts, read 759,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I've eaten in the Times Square Red Lobster too many times with an older relative who unfortunately loves chains (and bad food). It was recommended to her by the fish guy in Morton Williams or some such place when she told him we wanted seafood. He used to work at Red Lobster in Times Square and told her there was such a volume of business that the fish was always fresh. I don't love the place, nor her other favorite, Dallas BBQ, but I'm surprised if you got sick there. Or I'd be surprised if it was the seafood since I've never had a problem.
I've never gotten sick from Red Lobster but all I know is that it's God awful. At least the one Red Lobster I went to in Florida. What awful food. And I generally love seafood. Ditto Dallas BBQ. Blech.
And I don't necessarily hate chain restaurants. I like California Pizza enough. Pizzeria Uno. TGIF. Applebees. Olive Garden and Ruby Tuesday are all ok. Not great but okay. But Red Lobster. Blech!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 03:48 PM

4,162 posts, read 3,451,075 times
i'm gonna do the Harlem Red Lobster & Olive Garden. I'm not expecting much

Old 05-08-2017, 04:31 PM

4,135 posts, read 5,949,527 times
I suspect that a fair portion of the clientele for the chain restaurants in and around Times Square is not just tourists. It's also a lot of outer-borough New Yorkers ( but not the real foodie types) who come into the city for an evening's entertainment and want somewhere easy to eat, and also office workers in the area who might enjoy a lunch or after-work drinks and dinner.

And FWIW Virgil's on 43rd St, though not quite a chain, has some decent barbecue.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:42 PM

11,830 posts, read 7,707,929 times
You can get sick from tainted bread or drinking glass mishandled with contamination and never know what made you sick.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:06 PM

9,832 posts, read 21,506,455 times
Funny enough I went to the Red Lobster at cross county over this past weekend. Food was decent. I don't go all the time but I haven't found it to be that bad either. It's been my experience that it's one of the better chain restaurants. I think if you're disappointed you are expecting too much. Lol. The best part is the biscuits honestly.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:21 PM

19,175 posts, read 32,707,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Funny enough I went to the Red Lobster at cross county over this past weekend. Food was decent. I don't go all the time but I haven't found it to be that bad either. It's been my experience that it's one of the better chain restaurants. I think if you're disappointed you are expecting too much. Lol. The best part is the biscuits honestly.
I share the same sentiments...I think people expect too much.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-08-2017, 09:30 PM

1,786 posts, read 759,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I suspect that a fair portion of the clientele for the chain restaurants in and around Times Square is not just tourists. It's also a lot of outer-borough New Yorkers ( but not the real foodie types) who come into the city for an evening's entertainment and want somewhere easy to eat, and also office workers in the area who might enjoy a lunch or after-work drinks and dinner.

And FWIW Virgil's on 43rd St, though not quite a chain, has some decent barbecue.
The thing about chain restaurants is that you know what you're getting and at what price. So, it's convenient to just head out to one if you're not in the mood to try out a new place. Plus, if there's one dish that you are kind of fond of, you go just for that because you have a craving for it. At least that's how it is with me and California Pizza.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:48 AM

3,447 posts, read 3,519,654 times
Are you sick 'cause you ate 22 Cheddar Bay Biscuits?

... because it's not a contest to see how many you can eat.

OR IS IT?

Old 05-09-2017, 05:02 AM

30,351 posts, read 31,219,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I have a hard time understanding how people can vacation in NYC from whatever small town/city they come from and end up just eating dinner at places like Olive Garden/Applebee's/Red Lobster/Ruby Tuesday's/etc.
People look for things that are familiar to them even when traveling although it would be a better idea for them to try something new.

Personally I have never eaten at Red Lobster in my life as I don't eat shellfish.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:40 AM

20,157 posts, read 26,444,908 times
Red Lobster Times Square charges a high menu premium for the location and the lines are always horrendous. I have eaten a few times at the 125th St. RL and it is tolerable and the one in Queens which was the worst.

From my experience, the lobster is good, the biscuits are good, the stuffed clams are good and everything else is awful. Worst was the lobster bisque which had the texture of wallpaper paste.

The all-you-can eat shrimp was bad. It should have been called All-you-can-stomach shrimp.
Shrimp all tasted like it was cooked the day before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City