U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 08:04 PM

428 posts, read 451,431 times

Advertisements

My building is barely pre-war 6-story (1940--so before US entered the war) -- and yes you can hear footfalls and almost everything else. A paperclip falling on the floor? Yes. The wood seems to serve as a conductor of noise, so that what you hear below is actually louder---much louder--- than what it sounds in the apartment where it takes place.
I've lived in other buildings (a 1920's pre-war high-rise for one) where you couldn't hear anything above you at all. Such is a blessed thing.
I hope the people above you are sane, not sociopathic, and not prone to anger and retaliation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 05:38 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,502,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
What type of building do you live in and how well do you hear your neighbors? How about upstairs neighbors foot falls?

Luckily I live on the top floor but I was visiting a friend's apartment. He lives on a 3rd floor pre-war walkup and I could hear every single foot fall from the upstairs neighbor. Sometimes, I think when they took a particularly heavy step, it would sound like a big boom and the lights would rattle slightly. A couple people at his gathering chimed in to talk about how horrible their upstairs neighbors were, while another person mentioned they cannot hear anything from their upstairs neighbors.

Now I'm curious.. Is this pretty typical of NYC buildings to be able to hear foot steps from your upstairs neighbor so clearly?
I live in a pre-war but on the top floor but I can hear my side neighbors quite a bit and our downstairs neighbor has complained a few times about us "dropping weights". Lmao. This is part of city living unless your neighbors are blasting music at inappropriate times you are going to have to put up with some noise.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:45 AM

20,147 posts, read 26,435,766 times
"Luxury" living, 1960's high rise: parquet over concrete. Upstairs neighbor got up at 5 AM to get ready for work and by 6 she had on her high heels and click-click-click-click until she left at about 6:30. I like to sleep 'til 7 and this annoyed me.
Then she moved out and then I moved out.

Not much of a problem in the scope of things.

We wear slippers and flip-flops or go barefoot so I doubt anyone under us has ever had a complaint.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:53 AM

458 posts, read 637,382 times
I live in a new building and can only occasionally hear walking from above, typically for a short period in the morning with what sounds like high heels or boots. It's pretty faint and rarely lasts more than a couple minutes. So I think my upstairs neighbors are pretty considerate about it. I try to be equally polite to my downstairs neighbors by minimizing shoe-wearing, having lots of rugs, and not stomping around like an a-hole. I've had not so polite upstairs neighbors in the past.

I can hear my next door neighbors on one side a ton, but that's because their children are twin nightmares. I can't hear anything from the other side, even one time when I knew she was having a party (and I border her living room).

I read somewhere once, maybe on this forum, that new buildings tend to have better vertical soundproofing (possibly due to building codes that lead to more concrete between floors) but worse horizontal soundproofing (possibly due to cheapo construction tactics to make up for the more expensive building codes). This has generally been my experience too.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:17 AM

728 posts, read 493,784 times
My landlord actually put in the rider of my lease that I need to have my floor 90% carpeted with area rugs and runners and what not. It's definitely common to here footsteps from above, but it shouldn't be overwhelming if your upstairs neighbors aren't total jerks.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:52 AM

2,458 posts, read 1,812,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
6 stories.

Your theory may be correct.

I have also heard that buildings built later that are fireproof (no external fire escapes) tend to be more sound proof, at least between floors/ceilings -- not so much between walls from apartment to apartment.
I believe this as well. Concrete buildings - not tenements with fire escapes outside are more sound and fire proof for that matter.

The floors between older buildings are set up exactly like a drum: The top floor that is visible to the tenant above, and then another floor on the bottom, which is visible as a ceiling to the tenant below. This drum effect is what amplifies noise from above.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:01 AM

30,343 posts, read 31,211,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
What type of building do you live in and how well do you hear your neighbors? How about upstairs neighbors foot falls?

Luckily I live on the top floor but I was visiting a friend's apartment. He lives on a 3rd floor pre-war walkup and I could hear every single foot fall from the upstairs neighbor. Sometimes, I think when they took a particularly heavy step, it would sound like a big boom and the lights would rattle slightly. A couple people at his gathering chimed in to talk about how horrible their upstairs neighbors were, while another person mentioned they cannot hear anything from their upstairs neighbors.

Now I'm curious.. Is this pretty typical of NYC buildings to be able to hear foot steps from your upstairs neighbor so clearly?
I think it depends on the apt. bldg., whether the neighbor above has carpeted floors and how heavily they thread. I have had a turnover of neighbors in the apt. above me and some of them I heard a lot and others very little.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:56 AM

20,147 posts, read 26,435,766 times
My landlord actually put in the rider of my lease that I need to have my floor 90% carpeted with area rugs

I think jerkoff landlords like that should install wall to wall carpeting AT THEIR EXPENSE, not demand basically the same thing of tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or