U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 10:03 PM

367 posts, read 409,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
No it isn't your right, you must be a selfish self centered Millennial.

What does turning your music loud really do, seriously. What its no good on volume level 7 but it is on 15?
Not only do your neighbor not want to hear your music... ever....You have to remember that NYC is a 24 hour, 7 day a week city. People work weekends and all hours. You blasting you music at 10pm may disrupt your neighbor who has to be up at 4am for work. What is wrong with people, when did everyone become me, me me and so damn selfish and not think how their actions affect others.
yes, a millennial
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 07:59 AM

20,894 posts, read 22,671,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

The point is, people who generally play their music loud without concern for others was doing it even before this article was written.
Playing music loudly in nearly any neighborhood has occurred for decades. The difference from decades ago to now is how the NYPD reacted to music related noise complaints. The NYPD was more civil when dealing with these situations years ago and it looks like now they are trying to bring the NYPD back in line to where it was years ago.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:03 AM

7,901 posts, read 6,474,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Playing music loudly in nearly any neighborhood has occurred for decades.
Nope.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post

I get that it's annoying, but people have the right within reason to play music in their homes within reasonable hours. After midnight sure that's a problem, but before than this is the city. If you have a problem maybe dense urban living is not for you and you should live in Montana.
Suburban and Rural area's have a similar code where instead of noise traveling a few feet it may be up to a few acres. If the Police are called out multiple times after responding to the same noise complaints within hours of the first warning, then fines are issues and the party is broken up.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:30 AM

7 posts, read 3,097 times
Noise complaints are a difficult issue in NYC. On one hand, it should be understood and expected that in a hyper dense city like NYC there will be much more noise than usual. People should decide where to live accordingly.

On the other hand, I totally get that many people can't just choose to leave NYC. They could however try and find another apartment/house in a quieter part of town.

Ultimately, everyone in NYC should show respect to their neighbors. That means turning down the music when appropriate!

Old 05-14-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Nope.
Staten Island was pretty much rural ~40 years ago. So it's mapping of noise complaints will usually be where the highest concentration of people were and are.

Mapping New York

Old 05-14-2017, 09:02 AM

7,901 posts, read 6,474,824 times
Interesting data, thanks.

Those maps provide a solid explanation of why I feel the way I do on this subject. Within a few mile radius of my house, the only time there is ever color on those maps is for dog complaints, which certainly don't portend a "noisy" neighborhood.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:00 PM

7,548 posts, read 2,688,620 times
I'm happy to say that my neighborhoods are very quiet as well. Since both of the areas I live in are dog friendly, just about all of the noise complaints are due to barking dogs.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:07 AM

20,134 posts, read 26,416,255 times
My apartment is the quietest I have ever lived in. I don't know if my neighbors can say the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or