U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 12:59 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,795,971 times

Advertisements

I hired a painter to paint my pre-war 1 bedroom apartment and add new baseboards. It will require stripping, plastering, and skim-coating some/many of the walls.
The painter quoted me a price of $6500 for all of the work, including materials, and had me give him a deposit of 40%.
He plans to start in a week.

Now I talked to him on the phone and he informed me that we have to pay for the paint; he will not supply the paint.

I assumed that "including materials" means including paint.
I feel he did not inform me in advance that I would have to pay for the paint.

Is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 01:38 PM

97 posts, read 36,015 times
Did he provide you with a proposal? I had my own pre-war 1 bedroom painted 8 years ago, and the proposal stated that the cost included labor and materials, but NOT paint (so maybe this is a standard way painters operate).

In any case, if no written proposal was provided, it seems like a jerk move to not clearly inform you in advance that you would be responsible for buying the paint.

Can you get your deposit back?

Old 05-11-2017, 02:28 PM

20,144 posts, read 26,425,454 times
Paint is a material, just like baseboard.
I hope you have this in writing.

What you CAN do, is buy the paint and when he finishes and comes to you for the remaining 60%, just deduct the cost of the paint from what you give him.

Rose, did you buy an apartment? At market or "affordable?"

Old 05-11-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

What you CAN do, is buy the paint and when he finishes and comes to you for the remaining 60%, just deduct the cost of the paint from what you give him.

Bought. Market rate.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riact View Post
Did he provide you with a proposal? I had my own pre-war 1 bedroom painted 8 years ago, and the proposal stated that the cost included labor and materials, but NOT paint (so maybe this is a standard way painters operate).

In any case, if no written proposal was provided, it seems like a jerk move to not clearly inform you in advance that you would be responsible for buying the paint.

Can you get your deposit back?
Proposal and contract was provided. Not sure if it states in there if it includes paint or not.

In any case, I gave him a post-dated check. I can simply cancel the check if I want to get my deposit back.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:59 PM

6,828 posts, read 4,428,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Proposal and contract was provided. Not sure if it states in there if it includes paint or not.

In any case, I gave him a post-dated check. I can simply cancel the check if I want to get my deposit back.
Looks like you got him my the balls.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:02 PM

18,272 posts, read 11,663,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

Would have to be "affordable", for that matter "older" because virtually no one builds residential multi-family housing anymore using plaster and lath walls.

Post WWII housing boom saw the increase and now near total domination of drywall over plaster. Not only is the former faster but any idiot can be trained to hang drywall (how well it will be done is another matter).

Plastering is an art, and increasingly fewer and fewer persons know how to do it properly, that and the best are not cheap by any means.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Would have to be "affordable", for that matter "older" because virtually no one builds residential multi-family housing anymore using plaster and lath walls.

Post WWII housing boom saw the increase and now near total domination of drywall over plaster. Not only is the former faster but any idiot can be trained to hang drywall (how well it will be done is another matter).

Plastering is an art, and increasingly fewer and fewer persons know how to do it properly, that and the best are not cheap by any means.
Pre-war/older apartments tend to be more desirable/more expensive than new construction actually.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:57 PM

973 posts, read 1,403,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Ah but on the higher end construction you plaster over the blueboard. So there are still plenty of plasterers out there although very few know how to plaster lath walls from the bare bones.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:31 PM

77 posts, read 65,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post

posted dated checks can be cashed before the date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or