U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 07:10 AM

9,693 posts, read 5,333,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I usually find when a restaurant is crowded to be a good sign. I didn't even know it was a chain. The food doesn't appear to be like a chain the way Applebees or TGIF's is.

All I know is that the food and drinks are really good
While Don Coqui has decent, albeit overpriced food, I think one big reason why they are packed is because of the club atmosphere/dance floor. That was a big selling point for my friend who had her bday dinner there. Still, I like wrote, they are vastly overpriced (you can get a Corona for $9, which probably once increased since I was there. And this doesn't even get to the food!) and I wouldn't eat there again because of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 08:41 AM

7,606 posts, read 2,757,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I am not really sure what real Puerto Rican food is but that is what I am interested in trying. Perhaps someone can also tell me what are some real Puerto Rican dishes that I might consider ordering.
Well my friends' mothers would cook, and like other Latin Caribbean countries, the dishes usually included some sort of rice and beans as a staple with a meat. Arroz con gandules for example. We'd have things like chicken on the side. Some famous dishes would be things like pernil (assuming you like pork). There's another dish that I've eaten a lot of as a teenager that escapes me at the moment, but everything was tasty. I was fortunate enough to have friends with mothers that could cook. They also do stewed dishes which I'm not a fan of... Such and such guisado... For dessert perhaps go with a flan. I do speak Spanish and am often mistaken as being Hispanic (among other things), so I have a good amount of Hispanic friends from all over Latin America and the Caribbean. I would say out of the various countries I would put Spanish cuisine first mainly because the dishes from Spain are heavy on seafood and close to things I eat from my cuisine, but you can find various Puerto Rican seafood dishes as well that are simple and very tasty, drawing heavy influence from Spain, so Puerto Rican dishes rate high on my list. As others have said though, there seems to be fewer places around with Puerto Ricans moving and not staying in clustered areas. A few of my childhood friends now live in Puerto Rico.

You didn't specify price range, but La Fonda Boricua in East Harlem is supposedly good. For more high end there's Sazón in Tribeca. I will ask my girlfriend as well. She is Dominican but frequents areas in the Bronx and Manhattan that I may not be aware of. I thought there would be more places in East Harlem, but there are more Mexican places there than anything these days, as the Puerto Rican prescence isn't as strong as it once was. A few other Puerto Rican places come to mind there, but appear to be grease spoons.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 05-17-2017 at 09:00 AM..

Old 05-17-2017, 10:34 AM

51,637 posts, read 50,868,608 times
People in my office in Brooklyn ordered from some place there a few months ago, but I can't remember the name. I got mofongo, which I learned to like when I was on vacation in Puerto Rico. Back then I still ate meat, so I got it with beef, but last time I got the cheese one. If I can find out the name of the place we ordered from, I'll let you know.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:23 AM

2,946 posts, read 1,215,204 times
there are too many similarities to PR dishes. between DR PR and Cuba, it is basically a variation of ingredients, but the same dish.

In the Spanish-speaking islands, “criollo” refers to Spanish Americans of European descent. Hence, “cocina criolla” is the cuisine created by the European (mostly Spanish) colonists using their traditional recipes coalesced with native Caribbean foods and cooking styles.

So, to get the authentic Puerto Rican food , or something similar in style , Spanish Caribbean meals, look for criolla restaurants.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:46 AM

2,729 posts, read 991,818 times
Mofongo for sure, and with pork, nothing else. Alcapurria and pasteles, though the last are usually for holidays. Arroz con pollo (chicken), peril (roast pork and garlic, garlic, garlic), arroz con gandules, picadillo (ground beef), ropa vieja (beef), empanadas, asopao, and flan for dessert. Cola Champagne with your meal and cafe con leche with your flan. If you really want some Puerto Rican fast food, see if there are any cuchifritos left in Spanish Harlem and sit in the car and have a grease-fest.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:57 PM

51,637 posts, read 50,868,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Mofongo for sure, and with pork, nothing else. Alcapurria and pasteles, though the last are usually for holidays. Arroz con pollo (chicken), peril (roast pork and garlic, garlic, garlic), arroz con gandules, picadillo (ground beef), ropa vieja (beef), empanadas, asopao, and flan for dessert. Cola Champagne with your meal and cafe con leche with your flan. If you really want some Puerto Rican fast food, see if there are any cuchifritos left in Spanish Harlem and sit in the car and have a grease-fest.
Hahaha, yes, Caribbean food is not really conducive to a vegetarian diet.

My friend's mom is Cuban. 86 years old. I asked if there was any meat in the black beans, and she said, "Oh no, just a little bacon for some flavor."

Old 05-17-2017, 01:44 PM

402 posts, read 470,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
are you talking about La Casa Del Mofongo in Washington Heights?

Old 05-17-2017, 01:54 PM

402 posts, read 470,324 times
Don Coqui is also very good. Used to go to the New Rochelle location.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:01 PM

896 posts, read 923,842 times
El Viejo Yayo and El Gran Castillo de Jagua in the Park Slope area which both restaurants have stood the test of time and actually have survived, thought they are more Dominican influenced, not sure what PR food actually means since when in PR most restaurants in the island were DR influenced as well.....
Mofongo for example is a DR cuisine but can be traced back to PR but even further to Africa.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:05 PM

7,846 posts, read 10,310,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While Don Coqui has decent, albeit overpriced food, I think one big reason why they are packed is because of the club atmosphere/dance floor. That was a big selling point for my friend who had her bday dinner there. Still, I like wrote, they are vastly overpriced (you can get a Corona for $9, which probably once increased since I was there. And this doesn't even get to the food!) and I wouldn't eat there again because of this.
I don't think they're any more expensive than any other decent restaurant. Their meat and seafood dishes aren't overpriced imo. $9 for a Corona is a dance club price and yes, their lounge prices are over priced. If you're just having dinner and maybe a cocktail then it's really not that pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City