U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2017, 05:48 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,491,045 times

Advertisements

Anyone go through this? You get to the point where you just have given up on the entire thing? I spent the last 2 years trying to keep my income the same so I would qualify for various developments that never panned out through various stages of it. Zero career advancement, zero working on a resume, zero everything (especially my bank account). At one point I got so close only for it to not happen I feel like I still have not recovered emotionally. I know it's not everyone and more a reflection on one's own self, but at some point you become bitter and angry at people who DO win these apartments and it's a sucky feeling.

I enjoy this forum, but maybe something could be said for a separate subforum? It's so easy to click on these lotteries and for the awful feelings to wash over oneself all over again. It's a strange feeling of feeling very unlucky and also depressed about future prospects because you're afraid to move on. I'm literally afraid to move back to NJ to save some some money because I keep thinking... what IF this one development calls me back!? What IF I'm next on the waiting list? What if a new development opens up and I have CB preference even though i'm broke as hell remaining in that CB?

And so many of the intake interviews I got I turned down because I kept thinking there was something better and now I kick myself in the butt thinking perhaps I could have had one of those apartments I thought I was too good for. It's easy to get frustrated as well falling into the middle income bands, there's not that much for us, but in the grand scheme of things there's really not that much for very low income bands either, but they get a bigger shot if they have CB preference. If you are in the middle income band with a CB preference you're competing with SOOOOOOOO many other people in the same income band and these middle bands usually don't have many apartments available. Contempt starts to breed, angry feelings, sometimes prejudicial! I hate it, I hate the entire process and sorry I just needed to vent.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 06:44 PM

2,255 posts, read 2,625,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
And so many of the intake interviews I got I turned down because I kept thinking there was something better and now I kick myself in the butt thinking perhaps I could have had one of those apartments I thought I was too good for.
If you turned down more than 2 then

Old 05-16-2017, 06:48 PM

I turned down FOUR. I have a dog that I love.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:51 PM

I should just pretend my dog is another person you secretly move in a month later, but I have morals. And not everyone wants dogs in their buildings much like they don't want losers moving into their girlfriends apartments and not contributing and just detracting from the quality of life. Sucky

Old 05-16-2017, 06:59 PM

774 posts, read 720,779 times
I understand what you're feeling, but I think it's a huge mistake to hold yourself back professionally and to pass up opportunities to earn more money to continue to qualify for these lotteries. That doesn't make sense--if you stopped holding back your earning power, you might not need these lotteries. Maybe you could even buy a place in five years. If part of what's depressing you is the thought that you've passed up opportunities that might have raised your income and given you more professional happiness, then stop doing that. Get on with your life, refocus professionally, and stop holding yourself back to meet these income guidelines. Redo that resume! Regig your professional profile. There's always things you can add to your job and resume, even if you've stayed in the same job. Stop holding yourself back. Maybe take a short vacation somewhere and think things through. I don't think this is what you want to hear, though.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:02 PM

thanks, Mov.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:16 PM

878 posts, read 537,754 times
I think it's fair to feel upset.
Your bracket unfortunately is the smallest of the bunch, when I feel it should be one of the bigger ones. 60% AMI should be cut in half, because I'm pretty sure there are still many developments that cater to this bracket exclusively. With 60% cut in half, the rest of the units should split between 80% and 100%.

I had quite a few posters tell me taking Brook Avenue was a "mistake."
And I almost didn't take it because of that. Looking at all my options once more, I had 0 to lose, so even if I had doubts, I wanted to at least go forth with it because I'd rather have an option, than nothing.

The amount of sh*t talk I see about certain neighborhoods and their "shadiness" is astounding. At the end of the day, NYC is NYC. Waking up everyday is a death sentence.

When you look at the amount of applications that are going in, versus the amount of units available, you have to be considered really lucky to not only get called in once, let alone multiple times. Thousands of people never even get a chance to get an invitation letter.

A few months ago, I was vying for 605 West 42nd Street. Mind you, I was so Hell bent on 605 because of the fact it was in a luxury tower, so nothing else mattered, but getting into that building. I was blinded by everything else. I got called for two more buildings (Crossroads and Brook Avenue), so at the time, I wasn't even giving them not even a thought, until I had to appeal for 605. I ignored both Crossroads and Brook. It wasn't until I got a second invite to Brook. 605 was looking grim, my appeal wasn't going the way it should have, but I still had hope. My aunt convinced me to just apply, and I'm glad I listened. Even if 605 did approve me, all applicants are now stuck in limbo, and I don't know if I could mentally handle that.

Besides I already live in Mott Haven, so the neighborhood is nothing new to me. Having my own space was more important. Sure 605 would've been nice, but it wasn't for me.

My plan is to wing it out in Brook Avenue for a while, and if I feel it's not right, I'll just apply to something else. But so far I'm happy. Once La Central is underway, I'll probably have my eyes on that just because of CB preference, so it won't be very hard to get in.

Going forward, even if you get called for a not top pick, GO for it. It's a new apartment, in a new building. Not many people get a shot at this.
Take the raise, if you're due for one. The AMI has been increased by a couple thousand dollars.

I wish you luck. This post really shows a different side of you. I kinda just thought you were a troll at first, but this really changes things. I also agree with the separate housing forum. I've actually been learning a lot from this forum, but there has been sooooo many lottery threads with the same questions asked over and over.

I get it, it can be exciting once you start, but patience is really all you need. I really hope something falls through for you.

Edit: Just saw your post about the dog, so were all four no pet buildings? They really need to state that on the flyer. A simple "Pet or no pets allowed" should do the trick.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:28 PM

Thanks, Radeon!!!! Awesome post, yeah I think when I started getting pissy people though i was a troll. i understand that. Yeah, all four were absolutely no pets. I started thinking I should get rid of my dog, but eh. i don't think so. I'll make it work somehow. That really IS why I go so pissed about that one development cuz it was a pet-friendly building and I got so far, but I have to accept we can't always get what you want. Btw, Mk8!!! again at some point!

Old 05-16-2017, 07:46 PM

878 posts, read 537,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Thanks, Radeon!!!! Awesome post, yeah I think when I started getting pissy people though i was a troll. i understand that. Yeah, all four were absolutely no pets. I started thinking I should get rid of my dog, but eh. i don't think so. I'll make it work somehow. That really IS why I go so pissed about that one development cuz it was a pet-friendly building and I got so far, but I have to accept we can't always get what you want. Btw, Mk8!!! again at some point!

If all 4 were no pets, then I don't feel like you were "too good" for it. You were just thinking about your pet. I honestly feel they should start adding this kind of info in the flyer, so people aren't wasting their time.

So yes, there have been some units you could've possible won, but without your dog. If I were in your shoes, living in an apartment without my pet would be harder than anything.
Some people won't get it, but I do. I was crushed when I had to give my cat away years ago. I eventually got over it, but even to this day, I still think about her.

Arghhhhh getting emotional. lol
I will be on Mario Kart again this weekend. I'll DM you so we can set aside an hour.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:55 PM

Thanks, Radeon!!! Actually, one of them DID say NO PETS in the original copy. The others didn't though, it's really up to the development and managers and I understand that. Sometimes things get changed last minute. It seems like all the pet friendly buildings are the super luxe ones though because duh they advertise pet-spas and stuff. Pets are family to some people. (most people).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or