U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2017, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Northeast (CT to be exact)
209 posts, read 126,501 times
Reputation: 173

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Maybe you haven't but I have. You can spin it however you want, but there's a lot of self-hatred in the black community, which is why I laugh when black women complain about black men not wanting to date them. when they're part of the problem. If education is so valued in the black community, then perhaps you can explain the ongoing low performance rates overall by black students. It's still pretty abysmal. The Caribbean blacks like to put themselves on a pedestal by pointing to how much more they value education. The same is true of the Africans that come here. Nevertheless there is still a large gap in education achievement in the black community as a whole.
One of the biggest issues that black Americans have is, we are all lumped into the same "under performing" pool, when in truth, our issues are not all the same. We have, just like any other group, different classes of people, who are socialized in various ways.

I know among low income blacks, there are issues with education and performance, but their beliefs and opinions have nothing to do with middle and upper income black people.

I am Black American and was raised in a middle income home. My family ALWAYS stressed the importance of education and as such, I'm highly educated and do quite well for myself. I have never, nor have members of my family (both immediate and extended) believed that education and entrepreneurship should not be valued. We were raised to value BOTH. Surely, I have come across people (from almost every race) who don't share the same views, but more often than not, it's due to how they were socialized.

This is why I always point out the class differentials. Education is usually not valued among low income (non immigrant) Americans, but the same is generally not the case with middle/upper income Americans of all races. What part of this don't you understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2017, 08:54 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water4Life View Post
One of the biggest issues that black Americans have is, we are all lumped into the same "under performing" pool, when in truth, our issues are not all the same. We have, just like any other group, different classes of people, who are socialized in various ways.

I know among low income blacks, there are issues with education and performance, but their beliefs and opinions have nothing to do with middle and upper income black people.

I am Black American and was raised in a middle income home. My family ALWAYS stressed the importance of education and as such, I'm highly educated and do quite well for myself. I have never, nor have members of my family (both immediate and extended) believed that education and entrepreneurship should not be valued. We were raised to value BOTH. Surely, I have come across some black people (and other races) who don't share the same views, but more often than not, its due to how they were socialized.

This is why I always point out the class differentials. Education is usually not valued among low income Americans (non immigrant groups), but the same is generally not the case with middle/upper income Americans of all races. What part of this don't you understand?
I understand it very well. Here in NYC, blacks are generally in the group you mentioned, and if you disagree, well the facts say otherwise. What part don't you understand? Increase that number and perhaps things will be better, but even within the middle and upper income pool, there's a lot of resentment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Northeast (CT to be exact)
209 posts, read 126,501 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
I've never heard an educated black man being called a "sellout"...
Usually, educated black men are not called "sell-outs" by black women, more often than not, they are often berated by low income/under-performing black males who are jealous of their success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Northeast (CT to be exact)
209 posts, read 126,501 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I understand it very well. Here in NYC, blacks are generally in the group you mentioned, and if you disagree, well the facts say otherwise. What part don't you understand? Increase that number and perhaps things will be better, but even within the middle and upper income pool, there's a lot of resentment.
I understand that NYC has a high number of low income blacks. What I am stating is, their views and lifestyles are not representative of black middle and upper income people.

I find it interesting that you state, increase the number of black/upper income individuals, when I've already explained how to do this. But of course, you were the first to add negative statements as to why middle/upper income black men should not date or marry middle/upper income black women.

Again, my overall belief is, middle and upper income black people should date, marry and have children with other middle and upper income black people. Doing this will increase the number of middle and upper income black children. For the last time, what part of this don't you understand?

Just as whites aren't wasting time worrying about the plethora of white trash, I'm not worried about the plethora of black trash and their viewpoints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 09:11 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water4Life View Post
I understand that NYC has a high number of low income blacks. What I am stating is, their views and lifestyles are not representative of black middle and upper income people.

I find it interesting that you state, increase the number of black/upper income individuals, when I've already explained how to do this. But of course, you were the first to add negative statements as to why middle/upper income black men should not date or marry middle/upper income black women.

Again, my overall belief is, middle and upper income black people should date, marry and have children with other middle and upper income black people. Doing this will increase the number of middle and upper income black children. For the last time, what part of this don't you understand?

Just as whites aren't wasting time worrying about the plethora of white trash, I'm not worried about the plethora of black trash and their viewpoints.
I didn't say they shouldn't date black women. I said I understand why some of them don't and you should too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Northeast (CT to be exact)
209 posts, read 126,501 times
Reputation: 173

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-KU-8iOyiE

This is a great discussion among (educated) middle/upper income black people. These are the people who should be getting married and having children!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Northeast (CT to be exact)
209 posts, read 126,501 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I didn't say they shouldn't date black women. I said I understand why some of them don't and you should too.
I am curious if you also understand why some white, asian and hispanic men choose not to date the women within their group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 09:30 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water4Life View Post
I am curious if you also understand why some white, asian and hispanic men choose not to date the women within their group?
Yes, I am a man... I think I understand it, and much better than you ever will. Don't get at me because you're not getting any action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Northeast (CT to be exact)
209 posts, read 126,501 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yes, I am a man... I think I understand it, and much better than you ever will. Don't get at me because you're not getting any action.
Thank you for showing your immaturity..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 09:40 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water4Life View Post
Thank you for showing your maturity..
Anytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top