U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 09:51 AM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times

Advertisements

Most people want a partner who shares similar values, traditions, and general cultural background. Such things can, and often do, transcend race, but more often than not, someone of the same race is more likely to share these traits.

On the other side is racial or cultural exoticism, which is when a person is attracted to another primarily for their racial or cultural differences; a form of xenophilia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 10:04 AM

878 posts, read 535,212 times
The interracial stuff is the easy part, in my experience. I am a working class, gay, black / Hispanic male.
I'm not sure what it is, but black men have never really shown any "real" interest in me, other than the usual sexual interest.

I have had no problems getting guys of difference ethnicity and even social class to talk to me, or get them hooked for dates, among other things. I seem to attract many Brazilian, Portuguese, White, Puerto Rican and Dominican men. Of the 2 and a half boyfriends I've ever had, one was Puerto Rican, one was Portuguese, the half was Brazilian. (Long story on the half.) I have a few online profiles with a vast amount of my matches / conversations being initiated by either White or Hispanic men.

I literally just went through my Tinder list and was amazed that only 4 out of 700ish matches were black. I swiped right on way more than 4 black men, so what gives?! Cute is cute, no matter how you slice it. If a person is cute, moderately sane, and charming, I'm pretty good with that to work off of. I am far from the hottest guy on the planet, so I keep my standards within the realm of realistic.

The hardest part for me is getting a black guy to show interest in me, other than "420 and chill". lmao

Edit: I understand the context of dating is different in the gay and straight world. Just thought I'd share an inside scoop from the gay side.

Quote ABQConvict: "On the other side is racial or cultural exoticism, which is when a person is attracted to another primarily for their racial or cultural differences; a form of xenophilia."

This explains a lot actually. I've actually had to block quite a few men because of this. Being overly obsessed just because I'm black can be a bit creepy. This happens to me a lot from the tourists visiting the city, and older men, vs the younger locals. People like that are very hard to talk to because every other line is "You're hot." lol

Last edited by RadeonHD4250; 05-18-2017 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: Quote ABQConvict

Old 05-18-2017, 10:09 AM

14,773 posts, read 17,397,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
10 years ago perhaps. I don't know what part of town you're in but I see plenty of Asian guys with white or latina girls.

Living in a city as mixed as NYC its sorta weird if you've only dated people of the same "race"
Like there's some pathology going on in the person's head.
I don't see this at all. Once in a blue moon I would see an asian man with a black or white. The only Asian that I see with women of other races are South Asian men. Again once in a while I do see east Asian men with other races of women. In matter of fact, I'm friends with an easy Asian man that is married to a Puerto Rican woman. And another Asian acquaintance that has a Russian wife, but then again historically white Russians and East Asians have been mixing since Mongolian conquest of Russia and Russian expansionism to the far East. I always had a great thing for chinky eyed Russian women.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:11 AM

209 posts, read 126,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Its weird to feel obliged (or pressured by odd people like you) to date someone of the same race. What is this? 1850? You date who you end up dating - because you are attracted to them and them to you.

This divisive crap you put forth is backwards and harmful.
I am simply practicing and stating what every other group of educated/middle/upper income people actually DO. Most non black men and women ensure that their wealth and earnings remain within their OWN group.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:21 AM

14,773 posts, read 17,397,072 times
In the game of sex for women. Women have to choose from men that can provide economically. Or can provide genetic healthy baby. The real hard part is for women to find a man that has both looks spectrum and can provide financially. Majority of women in NYC want a man that can provide both. For some women. Being white matters, especially for educated black and Asian women.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
In the game of sex for women. Women have to choose from men that can provide economically. Or can provide genetic healthy baby. The real hard part is for women to find a man that has both looks spectrum and can provide financially. Majority of women in NYC want a man that can provide both. For some women. Being white matters, especially for educated black and Asian women.
The majority of educated black women prefer to date, marry and have children w/ educated black men. Some women however opt to open up their options when the men within their race/class do not show a strong preference for them.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:56 AM

2,456 posts, read 1,806,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post

Edit: I understand the context of dating is different in the gay and straight world. Just thought I'd share an inside scoop from the gay side.
Actually, you'd be very surprised at how similar they are. In gay relationships, there is a feminine force and a masculine force - regardless of gender. Both straight and gay are affected by the same BS: lying, cheating, lack of good mates, boredom and breakups.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:29 PM

179 posts, read 233,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is what I see. In the hood, thier is mainly Latina women and black men. You would never see a Latino with a black woman. In upper class liberal gentry areas. It's mainly white men Asian women, and white men with black women with that natural hair. In middle class areas, it's mainly white men and Latina women, and Latino men with white women. Interracial is cool.
LOL at white men with the black women with that natural hair.. smh just smh

Old 05-18-2017, 12:33 PM

179 posts, read 233,347 times
NYC is open to interracial relationships in certain areas. I have dated various races, but now I happen to be with a white male and we have a mixed race child and we get various eye rolls and people who speak down to us in certain parts of the city. I am a young black woman.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melle7790 View Post
LOL at white men with the black women with that natural hair.. smh just smh
He was trolling with that comment...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or