U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 06:07 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,121,513 times

Advertisements

I took a Queens-bound E train yesterday afternoon that didn't go to JFK. I don't understand why, but this train took a completely different route that didn't stop at Sutphin Blvd/AirTrain station but instead went to 179 Street in Queens.

Can someone explain to me why this train didn't go to JFK, and why this route isn't shown on the map? I am really confused- I have been going to JFK my whole life and still almost missed my flight. How can a train take a route that isn't shown on the map? I can't be the only one who has made this mistake. This was no 'service change' on a weekday afternoon, btw. It is apparently a standard route. But this route doesn't show at all on the map.

If this route confuses a NYC native like me, imagine what it does to tourists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 08:12 AM

1,838 posts, read 1,688,742 times
There are a few E trains that go to 179th street. Did you check the destination signs on the cars? This is from 2007 so it may be out of date but this post explains the route.

Quote:
I think this came up in another thread a little while ago, but...

The 4 E trains that leave 179th Street in the AM peak leave at 7:12am, 7:31am, 7:51am, and 8:11am. In the PM, the 179th Street trains leave WTC at 5:08pm, 5:28pm, 6:40pm, and 7:20pm.

The main reason that these trains run is because, I believe, that the maximum capacity of the upper level Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer terminal is 12 trains per hour. When more are run in the peak hours, the extras must go to 179th Street. I think this limitation is mostly due to the placement of switches and the setup of the tail tracks. While this may seem like bad planning since this line was just built in the 1980s, you must remember that this was never really intended to be a permanent terminal here (hopefully, it won't be forever!).
RAILROAD.NET • View topic - E Train to 179th St???

Old 05-19-2017, 08:17 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,121,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
There are a few E trains that go to 179th street. Did you check the destination signs on the cars? This is from 2007 so it may be out of date but this post explains the route.

RAILROAD.NET • View topic - E Train to 179th St???
I didn't check the destination because I assumed all E trains go to Jamaica Center. But even if the destination was different, I would assume it would still stop at JFK!! There is nothing on the subway map saying that the E train goes to 179 Street!! How can they have a *regular* E train that goes to a completely different destination that is not on the subway map?

Old 05-19-2017, 08:28 AM

1,219 posts, read 967,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
I didn't check the destination because I assumed all E trains go to Jamaica Center. But even if the destination was different, I would assume it would still stop at JFK!! There is nothing on the subway map saying that the E train goes to 179 Street!! How can they have a *regular* E train that goes to a completely different destination that is not on the subway map?
Doesn't matter, always check the destination sign. All lines have general orders like this except the L, J/Z and 7 trains. Example some rush hour 5 trains go to Utica ave instead of Brooklyn College or the W train will go to 96th street instead of Astoria. This is due to capacity issues they have to send the trains somewhere or else the line will be backed up. The conductor will normally announce if there is a destination change.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:09 AM

1,838 posts, read 1,688,742 times
Quote:
Maybe since it's only four trains a day they thought it would be more confusing to put it on the map. But at the least the announcements should remind riders that it's a 179th street train. Were there any announcements?

Old 05-19-2017, 09:35 AM

10,601 posts, read 20,730,171 times
I also got on an E train once that didn't go where I expected it to. I wasn't headed for the airport; I think I was headed for Jamaica Center/Parsons Archer and I did not get there. I was really confused at the time. Luckily I didn't have any kind of deadline or plane to catch. What you wrote above may explain what happened to me. I don't recall any announcements, although

1) they are usually either so garbled you can't understand them
or 2) if you've gotten on a train that the map says stops at your destination, and not that familiar with the area, the announcements that 'this is an X destination train' may not really sink in.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:31 PM

2,285 posts, read 1,273,837 times
Map only shows typical daytime service patterns. A couple of N trains go to/from 2nd Ave & 96 St.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:20 PM

7,846 posts, read 10,248,493 times
Quote:
Never assume because there are times when trains have to switch lines for whatever technical reasons. It's happened to me many times on the E having to switch to the F line en route.

I sometimes take that E train that goes to 179St (which I need to go to anyway) but it clearly says it on the sign in all the cars, it says it on the time banner that flashes and they ANNOUNCE IT countless times.

I feel for those who don't understand English but anyone else should be able to clearly see and hear it.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:22 PM

7,846 posts, read 10,248,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Maybe since it's only four trains a day they thought it would be more confusing to put it on the map. But at the least the announcements should remind riders that it's a 179th street train. Were there any announcements?
I take that E often and it's announced numerous times. It's announced en route and it's announced at every station that it stops at.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:21 AM

20,127 posts, read 26,407,309 times
E and F trains go like the roll of the dice.
"This is a Queens bound E-train that will run on the F route": So why not call it an F-train instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City