Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 06:18 PM

6 posts, read 7,237 times

Advertisements

Thanks for clarifying the areas and explaining why it wouldn't help to take the local bus or going to 125th.

The Skyveiw provides a gym, outdoor pool, tennis court and basketball. As well as a shuttle which takes you to either the metro north or the shopping center with Target. My wife is really digging the ammenties of this building. It saves on a gym membership and walking to a park etc.

You mentioned Riverpointe, we drove past that as well and does it also provide ammenities like the above?

Would you say Metronorth is more reliable or the Express bus is? Work hours are 8-4 for me and 8:30-5 for her. If we buy Metronorth passes we would need to buy a subway pass and that would be very expensive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 06:29 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecentrics View Post
Thanks for clarifying the areas and explaining why it wouldn't help to take the local bus or going to 125th.

The Skyveiw provides a gym, outdoor pool, tennis court and basketball. As well as a shuttle which takes you to either the metro north or the shopping center with Target. My wife is really digging the ammenties of this building. It saves on a gym membership and walking to a park etc.

You mentioned Riverpointe, we drove past that as well and does it also provide ammenities like the above?

Would you say Metronorth is more reliable or the Express bus is? Work hours are 8-4 for me and 8:30-5 for her. If we buy Metronorth passes we would need to buy a subway pass and that would be very expensive
Metro North is VERY reliable. The Hudson line is the best out of the three lines. There are a number of trains that start just in Westchester allowing you to have a comfortable quiet ride in. What I would recommend doing is getting an express bus pass and buying single Metro North tickets as needed (during snowstorms or Yankees games for example). The express bus pass can be used on the Hudson Raillink shuttle buses and the subway, thus meaning you only have to pay for Metro North. One way tickets peak are $9.25 and $6.50 off-peak. City Tickets are offered on weekends only at $4.25 (I believe).

As for RiverPointe, it offers beautiful views of the Hudson River and the Spuyten Duyvil bridge. I am not sure what the amenities are, but you should know that like The Skyview, it is quite isolated. If they don't have shuttle buses, you will have to walk uphill just to reach the basic stores on Knolls Crescent and Kappock Street, which will not be fun when it snows in the winter (note that Riverdale tends to get more snow because of the high elevation). The Skyview is a good deal overall allowing you not to need a car. If you high up enough, it too offers views of the Hudson River and the Palisades which is quite beautiful year around seeing the large ships move about in the Hudson.

If you are planning on keeping the car, then I'm sure both locations will have parking on-site, but with RiverPointe, you would have to walk uphill to the nearest bus stop every morning, which is annoying in my opinion. With The Skyview you would have more express buses. There are some that skip Spuyten Duyvil to allow for a faster commute in the morning, which is great if you live in say North Riverdale.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 05-21-2017 at 06:47 PM..

Old 05-21-2017, 06:59 PM

One other thing... If you keep the car, you can always just shop in Westchester. That's what a lot of people in Riverdale do, or they head to Manhattan. I know of an older couple that lives in The Skyview. They seem to like the amenities. I believe they have property elsewhere so it isn't their primary residence, but they do spend quite a bit of time there in Riverdale.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:09 AM

6 posts, read 7,237 times
Great source of information! You've helped us understand what we'll be getting into. What we're weighing on is the commute. We will probably take the Metronorth down since it's only 25-30 min into the city and I'll take Express 4,5 and she'll take the 7 train and walk down to penn.

If we were to look at other listings in central and north Riverdale will it become more difficult if we live further from the metro north? Also you've said he 1 train is slow, local and not reliable?

Old 05-22-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Great source of information! You've helped us understand what we'll be getting into. What we're weighing on is the commute. We will probably take the Metronorth down since it's only 25-30 min into the city and I'll take Express 4,5 and she'll take the 7 train and walk down to penn.

If we were to look at other listings in central and north Riverdale will it become more difficult if we live further from the metro north? Also you've said he 1 train is slow, local and not reliable?
The 1 isn't terrible per se. It's getting to the station that can be a problem because of the local buses. It's about 25-30 minutes to 96th Street, but most people transfer to the 2 or 3 express train. All of the transferring means more chances to be delayed. Just think about how many things have to go right with your commute with the subway. All of the transferring involved is the complete opposite of a non-grueling commute. With Metro North you have a dedicated shuttle bus that interlines with the train. Once you're in Grand Central, you only have to deal with one subway.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:37 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Unless you live very near, i,e., walking distance, to Broadway, the commute, walk, bus and subway, will drive you to distraction.

Friends just sold their lovely Junior 2 bedroom in Skyview on Arlington for $300K+ to retire to the "country", Jeffersonville, NY.
Yeah, "OY."
The whole thing makes me think of the movie, THE SHINING.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Unless you live very near, i,e., walking distance, to Broadway, the commute, walk, bus and subway, will drive you to distraction.

Friends just sold their Junior 2 bedroom in Skyview on Arlington for $300K+ to retire to the "country", Jeffersonville, NY.
Yeah, "OY."
That's only true for someone who can't live without the subway. These people are coming from Bayside, with lacks subway access, so I don't think it should be a deal breaker. There is plenty of other transportation to get to and from work and elsewhere and these people have a car, which really gives them options. There are three express bus lines and numerous Metro North trains. The lack of a subway can be looked at as a good thing. It keeps prices somewhat lower as demand isn't as high. You just have to know what you're looking for in terms of lifestyle and what location best works with your commute. There are people who have lived in Riverdale for well over 20 years and manage to get around just fine, so it isn't all doom and gloom. It is a wonderful community with people that are well vested in it staying that way and that's a good thing.

Plenty of neighborhoods don't have subway access and manage.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:09 AM

12 posts, read 6,345 times
Quote:
Hey Everyone,

I am interested in buying a 2BR+ condo/coop in an affordable neighborhood. My wife and I just recently gotten married and we both work in the city (midtown & downtown). We were looking into Queens areas such as Woodside, Sunnyside and Forest Hills but prices became a reach for us being 400-500K. We would ideally like to buy in the 200-300K.

Our current situation is we're living with my parents in Bayside and we live a little far from the LIRR so we decided to take the Express bus but that usually takes us 1.5 to 2 hours each way. It's draining us mentally and physically.

We're thinking about the Bronx - Riverdale area. What do you guys think of the neighborhoods (Spuyten Dyvil vs Kingsbridge near Manhattan College) and the commute? We would ideally like to live close to 1 train or walking distance. But I also know the metro north is near Spuyten Dyvil so what is more advantageous?

In advanced - Thanks for the input everyone!
OP - Have you considered requesting a NYC real estate commission rebate? You can save quite a bit of money with a rebate, and it will help lower your closing costs. Not many people are aware that rebates exist and are completely legal in NYC.

FYI - Save 1% when Buying | Buyer Agent Commission Rebate NYC

Old 05-22-2017, 02:02 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
Quote:
Hey Everyone,

I am interested in buying a 2BR+ condo/coop in an affordable neighborhood. My wife and I just recently gotten married and we both work in the city (midtown & downtown). We were looking into Queens areas such as Woodside, Sunnyside and Forest Hills but prices became a reach for us being 400-500K. We would ideally like to buy in the 200-300K.

Our current situation is we're living with my parents in Bayside and we live a little far from the LIRR so we decided to take the Express bus but that usually takes us 1.5 to 2 hours each way. It's draining us mentally and physically.

We're thinking about the Bronx - Riverdale area. What do you guys think of the neighborhoods (Spuyten Dyvil vs Kingsbridge near Manhattan College) and the commute? We would ideally like to live close to 1 train or walking distance. But I also know the metro north is near Spuyten Dyvil so what is more advantageous?

In advanced - Thanks for the input everyone!
At your price point, stop clinging to Manhattan. That's all Riverdale/Marble Hill/Spuyten Duyvil is...people who can't afford Manhattan anymore but still cling to its northernmost tip.

Embrace the Bronx and plunge in, it's pretty nice actually.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
At your price point, stop clinging to Manhattan. That's all Riverdale/Marble Hill/Spuyten Duyvil is...people who can't afford Manhattan anymore but still cling to its northernmost tip.

Embrace the Bronx and plunge in, it's pretty nice actually.
He isn't clinging to Manhattan. He's coming from Bayside Queens! And no, there are some people who simply don't want to live in Manhattan anymore. I've met plenty of them. They can easily afford Manhattan, but become tired of the noise and the grind. When you become older, you want to settle down. Those people still like going to Manhattan for Lincoln Center and the restaurants, and Riverdale is close enough to go to and from, but still far away enough to be away from it all. And finally, please... I wish people would stop lumping neighborhoods together. Marble Hill is a completely different neighborhood. Spuyten Duyvil IS part of Riverdale. It's just a subsection of it (the most southern part of Riverdale).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City