Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 12:59 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,056 times

Advertisements

I looked at an apartment today near Olliville Avenue and Allerton Road.

The apartment was well maintained but needs a kitchen renovation. It was a good size in clean building. It is very close to the subway and a supermarket.

The price is good and I think I can lower it because of the lack of kitchen renovation. A similar apartment in the same building sold with the same square footage, but it the kitchen was redone. I think it's fair to bid less because the one I looked at was not renovated.

Anyway, how's the area?

It seemed to me like pockets were good and pockets were marginal. What gives me pause, and it's the only thing that gives me a huge pause is the Parkside projects close by.

I spoke to two people with kids and they said it seemed ok. I would like more opinions. I'm thinking about putting in a bid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 01:58 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post

The apartment was well maintained but needs a kitchen renovation. It was a good size in clean building. It is very close to the subway and a supermarket.

The price is good and I think I can lower it because of the lack of kitchen renovation. A similar apartment in the same building sold with the same square footage, but it the kitchen was redone. I think it's fair to bid less because the one I looked at was not renovated.

Anyway, how's the area?

It seemed to me like pockets were good and pockets were marginal. What gives me pause, and it's the only thing that gives me a huge pause is the Parkside projects close by.

I spoke to two people with kids and they said it seemed ok. I would like more opinions. I'm thinking about putting in a bid.
I wouldn't do it. It may be close to the subway, but understand that there's only a HANDFUL of areas in the Bronx that is decent AND near the subway. The original area you posted about (Bronx Park East near the Bronx Zoo) is generally ok, but in this case you're heading further north by Williamsbridge. The area declines rapidly after Burke Avenue. The closer to the Bronx Zoo you are the better. If you're going to move there, I would do Parkchester before doing that area.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:27 PM

I did some research and flagged the following areas as "good" based on data in recent publications. Not all of them fall into my budget. These are in no particular order.

Fieldston
Parkchester
Edenwald
Wakefield
Baychester
Pelham Gardens
Van Nest
Pelham Parkway
Mott Haven
Pelham Parkway

I only looked at the apartment because it was available and a good price point. This morning I did check it on Trulia and it said the crime was bad in that area. The areas above did not come out that way.

I guess I'm feeling a bit of scarcity; fear of missing a good deal by waiting too long and being left with no choices. I saw a few apartments come and go very quickly in the general area. The apartment housing stock is lower once the summer is over. I also know that August is a colossal bad time for me this year so if I were to close in that month, it would be very bad timing.

I will take your feedback to heart because I do feel an overarching anxiety about this. I just can't center it; is it about change or is it about the neighborhood etc.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:01 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
I did some research and flagged the following areas as "good" based on data in recent publications. Not all of them fall into my budget. These are in no particular order.

Fieldston
Parkchester
Edenwald
Wakefield
Baychester
Pelham Gardens
Van Nest
Pelham Parkway
Mott Haven

I only looked at the apartment because it was available and a good price point. This morning I did check it on Trulia and it said the crime was bad in that area. The areas above did not come out that way.

I guess I'm feeling a bit of scarcity; fear of missing a good deal by waiting too long and being left with no choices. I saw a few apartments come and go very quickly in the general area. The apartment housing stock is lower once the summer is over. I also know that August is a colossal bad time for me this year so if I were to close in that month, it would be very bad timing.

I will take your feedback to heart because I do feel an overarching anxiety about this. I just can't center it; is it about change or is it about the neighborhood etc.
It's about both. Making a purchase is a HUGE decision. You don't want to be stuck in a place knowing how much money you're going to sink into moving, let alone having to pick and move again and trying to sell the place should it not turn out as expected. The places you listed above I will make comments on.

Fieldston - It's a subsection of Riverdale. Fieldston has an area that is privately owned (including the streets) and patrolled by security hired and paid for by the association. The area is entirely closed off to non-residents during parts of the year. It is VERY suburban in feel (you won't believe you are in New York City, but you are) with historical houses that sit on large plots away from the street, just as you find in say Connecticut. That area of Fieldston is one of the estate areas in Riverdale where incomes are close to $200,000 a year and houses go for well into the millions. It is one of the most richest parts of Riverdale and of NYC for that matter. People that live there tend to be politicians, judges and other white collar professionals. It is VERY safe, with the exception of car theft because of the areas' wealth. There is another part of Fieldston - the area along and close to Broadway boarding North Riverdale. You may be able to find something there in your price range, but be aware of the high maintenance fees that may come with the building, which could kill any "savings" you may get. Additionally, you would likely have to take the bus to reach the 1 train since it ends at 242nd street at Van Cortlandt Park. There is an express bus that serves the area (the BxM3) which runs to Midtown. Further south on Broadway you have the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18 which serve upper Riverdale (the part of Riverdale up hill). Note that large parts of this area are VERY hilly.

Parkchester - Encompasses the Parkchester complex which consists of the North and South part, as well as the greater Parkchester area. Most of Parkchester is fine. Solid working class area, though the Northern part is said to be not as nice as the Southern part, and is also furthest away from the subway, requiring a long walk or bus ride home, and parts of it are hilly. Things to note: Parking within the complex can be VERY difficult. The 6 train is the only subway in the neighborhood, but there are express trains during rush hour, that can make the commute to Manhattan tolerable in about 30 minutes. There is the BxM6 express bus to Midtown that only makes three stops and then heads to Manhattan. Area is generally safe and very mixed ethnically. Outside of the complex you'll find lots of low density buildings, that are usually owned or rented by either Pakistanis or Hispanics. Blacks are generally concentrated within the Parkchester complex, and there are some whites as well of different backgrounds, both in the complex and outside of it. Crime is generally not an issue, but things do happen.

Edenwald - This is a very high crime area. There is also the Edenwald projects (where the neighborhood gets its name from), one of the worst in the entire city. The subway is difficult to reach and often knocked out and getting anywhere can be a real pain. In short, run away from this area and don't look back.

Wakefield - Crime is a problem on the main corridor (White Plains Road). Drugs and other issues. Some of the side streets are "ok". Getting to Manhattan via the subway can be a REAL pain. The 2 runs poorly and the 5 train (when it does the serve the area) is also hit or miss. Metro North is an option but does not run frequently and requires a walk to reach it as it is on the edge of the neighborhood heading west, BUT once on it, it offers a commute of roughly 40 minutes to Grand Central. It takes a LONG time to reach Manhattan via subway because it is just below Westchester. There is also the BxM11 express bus to Manhattan. I think you can do better with your budget. The area is generally Black Americans and West Indians (primarily Jamaicans) though some Hispanics live there too (mainly Puerto Ricans or Dominicans), but not in very high numbers.

Baychester - This is another area far away from Manhattan. Crime isn't too bad, but commuting WILL be a pain. This part of the Bronx is served by another branch of the 5 train (Dyre Avenue I believe) and that line is ALWAYS OUT on weekends, so good luck using the subway. There is no express bus in the immediate area. The closest one is likely the BxM10 further south and it would take at least an hour alone to get to Manhattan just with the express bus, not including getting to it. You can do better with your budget.

Pelham Gardens - This is a nice area of the Bronx. It's just to the east and North of Pelham Parkway and Morris Park. The only issue is there is no real subway access here, so most people take the BxM10 express bus into Manhattan. It is suburban in feel with many homeowners. Generally a low density area consisting of mainly homes. Demographically around Mace Avenue and Eastchester Road, the area tends to be more Italian/Italian-American and further north there are more Blacks. Some Hispanics in the area as well.

Van Nest - This is considered by some to be a working class area. I consider it to be on the edge of poor and working class at best. The area aesthetically is not very pleasing, and it's quiet, but not necessarily in a good way. You can do better with your budget. Additionally, West Farms, which is a high crime area is just next door. This neighborhood acts as a buffer between the ghetto and Morris Park, as it is in between. It helps that the police precinct is near the train station. The subway option for the neighborhood is at East 180th street for the 2 and 5 train right by the West Farms border. Tough commute, but since it's further south than some of the other neighborhoods, you have access to both unless one is knocked on weekends, but still a long commute.

Morris Park to the east up hill is MUCH nicer. The change is like night and day once you hit Morris Park Avenue and Bronxdale Avenue. It is a solid middle class neighborhood, though isolated and suburban in feel, as the subway is outside of the neighborhood on its northern border and tends to be knocked out on weekends. Most take the BxM10 express bus to and from Manhattan. Morris Park has many important institutes in the area, such as Albert Einstein College of Medicine which has its campus there, along with several Montefiore buildings. There is a precinct in the area as well that keeps an eye on things. Very safe overall. Mainly Italian/Italian-American with more Albanians in the area. Some Hispanics as well.

Pelham Parkway - Bluedog and I have talked about this area. The closer to the Bronx Zoo/Bronx Park East area, the better. Nice options on Pelham Parkway and the surrounding area offers lots of green and shopping for the local area to get by. Cons are that it can be dirty in parts. You have the BxM11 express bus and the 2 and 5 subway. Not as far north as some of the other areas, so the commute isn't as long, but can still be tough, especially on weekends. Metro North is also another option for you (Botanical Gardens stop) depending on where in Pelham Parkway you are.

Mott Haven - This is the South Bronx. It is sllllooooowwwwwlllllllyyyyy improving, but has a way to go. The massive amount of housing projects makes it difficult for this area to fully gentrify, but pockets of it have improved, as hipsters and transplants looking for cheaper rent move into some of the renovated buildings. Plus - is a generally quick commute to parts of Manhattan with the (6) train. Cons - the subway stops are disgusting, and the area overall is pretty dirty, not to mention the pockets of high crime areas. Some restaurants here and there, but shopping overall is lacking. Parkchester and Pelham Parkway would offer more for your money in comparison.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 05-29-2017 at 04:19 PM..

Old 05-29-2017, 04:07 PM

3,728 posts, read 3,460,040 times
Olliville Avenue and Allerton Avenue = High Crime. Not good a good area. Born and Raised a few blocks away!

Old 05-29-2017, 04:17 PM

33,997 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:

Anyway, how's the area?

Its not the worst, but its the hood over there, so if you're not used to living in the hood I would look elsewhere. Go over there on a Saturday night and see how you feel. I personally like the area, the only drawbacks being parking if you have a car, and the public schools.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-29-2017, 05:08 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
Quote:

Anyway, how's the area?

As with much of the East Bronx, Allerton Avenue is a demarcation line, especially in the area West of White Plains Rd.
I would say if the building is on a block of Olinville North of Allerton forget it. If it is South of Allerton maybe. if South of Waring you are fine. Parkside is certainly not anywhere near one of the worst projects but stil there is a fair amount of crime nearby there.

There is a fairly nice co op on the East side of Olinville in the block directly North of Allerton. Looks very well maintained and has pretty good finances but I would not advise a Bronx newbie to buy there . If Seventh asked my advice I might tell him go for it because he knows his Bronx blocks and neighborhoods and it's far from terrible but in your case I say stick South of Waring.

I am very familiar with the area and was up there on Allerton near Olinville and Barker just a few hours ago. No problems at all really during the day but beefs from Parkside can spill out onto the streets at night..

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-29-2017 at 05:32 PM..

Old 05-29-2017, 08:35 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,712 times
It's an okay area, not too ratchet.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:18 AM

This is a terrific post and I'm going to put it in my "house buying" archive for reference. That way, when I see a listing, I can cross reference it.

After sleeping on it, I realize I can't let "fear of missing out" drive my decision. It needs to take as long as it takes until I find the right fit, because really and truly, I'm at my next place for at least 10 years.

(I've been at my current apartment for 13 years, when I only intended to be here a few years and that's renting, not owning.)

APRs are rising, but they aren't rising THAT fast. I should be ok. Slow and steady. THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:41 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
A Google walk shows it as a pretty grim area, rose.

I concur that Olinville South of Allerton looks a lot better than North.

Last edited by Kefir King; 05-30-2017 at 07:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City