Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:31 PM

162 posts, read 271,515 times

Advertisements

I'm from Santa Barbara, CA and I really love New York and will be transferring to Columbia this fall but I don't want to live in the dorm because I hate dorms and especially Columbia's dorms.

I'm looking for an apartment but I am in love with neighborhoods downtown. Upper West Side is nice but I think I'd have more fun downtown. My parents will rent me an apartment and the budget is no more than $5,000 and I want a garage for my car in the building.

Where could the budget go the furthest? Would I do better in any other downtown neighborhoods? How long would it take me to get uptown to Columbia from let's say...SoHo? Or is it insane and should I just live on the UWS? I want to bring my dog so will it be harder for me to find a place?

Thanks.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:58 PM

67 posts, read 319,572 times
$5,000 can definitly get you an apartment in Manhattan. However im a little confused on why you will be needing a car and a garage while living in NYC - in Manhattan nevertheless. Parking in New York City is very very expensive and driving in the city can also be very difficult. The city has an awesome network of public transportation that you could easily use to get to and from school at Columbia, just like everyone else.

As for uptown versus downtown, its really a matter of preferance. Some people like the predictability of the numbered streets and avenues of the Upper East and West Sides. Others like the mazes of streets that twist and turn down in the Village or SoHo - its really up to you. Also you can easily commute from downtown (SoHo or something) up to Columbia - there are much worse commutes out there. The #1 stops at 116th Street, right outside Columbia.

Good Luck from a stdent here in NYC!

Old 03-09-2008, 09:22 PM

162 posts, read 271,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctman1987 View Post
$5,000 can definitly get you an apartment in Manhattan. However im a little confused on why you will be needing a car and a garage while living in NYC - in Manhattan nevertheless. Parking in New York City is very very expensive and driving in the city can also be very difficult. The city has an awesome network of public transportation that you could easily use to get to and from school at Columbia, just like everyone else.

As for uptown versus downtown, its really a matter of preferance. Some people like the predictability of the numbered streets and avenues of the Upper East and West Sides. Others like the mazes of streets that twist and turn down in the Village or SoHo - its really up to you. Also you can easily commute from downtown (SoHo or something) up to Columbia - there are much worse commutes out there. The #1 stops at 116th Street, right outside Columbia.

Good Luck from a stdent here in NYC!
Thank you.

How long is the train ride from SoHo to Columbia?

About the car, I know I don't really need one but I love cars and I love my car especially, so I just want it for those occasional drives and I'm willing deal with the expenses.

Also, is Morningside Heights part of Harlem? I was expecting it to be a bad neighborhood, but the area I saw didn't look bad at all and the park (Riverside?) was nice.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:58 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,421 times
Jesus! What is going on on this board the past few days? College students all with parents paying for apartments which cost more annually than most people make in a year. What happened to college students living 4 deep in a crappy rental eating ramen and drinking cheap beer? _Lauren's dillema (see her thread) is about having to "settle" for an apartment on 5th avenue in midtown and yours is about finding a $5000/mo one bedroom with parking. This is insane!

Listen, I don't want to sound like a hater here. I have no problem with people who have worked hard and made boatloads of cash BUT YOU PEOPLE ARE COLLEGE STUDENTS!

The answer to your question is this:
With a $5000 budget you can afford to live ANYWHERE in this city in a fantasticly lavish one bedroom with every single amenity you could imagine. Your houing budget (as a college student, mind you) is more than most people who have worked hard their entire lives will ever be able to afford. I would personally live downtown but for that price you could get a one bedroom on Central Park West on a high floor. I guess making this "tough" decision is a good problem to have.

I'm done with my rant now. I'm going to go to bed now since I have to wake up and go to work where I...you know...WORK so I can pay my rent.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:57 PM

718 posts, read 2,324,664 times
Does Spot get his own bedroom with a balcony?

Old 03-10-2008, 01:59 AM

757 posts, read 3,362,152 times
Kyle1, would you mind coming back this time next year and letting us know whether you still have your car here? I'm real curious.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:58 AM

10,053 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcon0 View Post
Jesus! What is going on on this board the past few days? College students all with parents paying for apartments which cost more annually than most people make in a year. What happened to college students living 4 deep in a crappy rental eating ramen and drinking cheap beer? _Lauren's dillema (see her thread) is about having to "settle" for an apartment on 5th avenue in midtown and yours is about finding a $5000/mo one bedroom with parking. This is insane!

Listen, I don't want to sound like a hater here. I have no problem with people who have worked hard and made boatloads of cash BUT YOU PEOPLE ARE COLLEGE STUDENTS!

The answer to your question is this:
With a $5000 budget you can afford to live ANYWHERE in this city in a fantasticly lavish one bedroom with every single amenity you could imagine. Your houing budget (as a college student, mind you) is more than most people who have worked hard their entire lives will ever be able to afford. I would personally live downtown but for that price you could get a one bedroom on Central Park West on a high floor. I guess making this "tough" decision is a good problem to have.

I'm done with my rant now. I'm going to go to bed now since I have to wake up and go to work where I...you know...WORK so I can pay my rent.
LOL...no offense to Lauren whatsoever, but I totally can laugh and agree with this post.

The budget of $5k is high, and that budget for rent/mortgage for a college student, especially, will allow for a large one bedroom in the best neighborhood or a good-sized 2 bedroom in a great neighborhood in the city. As for parking your car, that will be costly, but if Lauren is willing to shell out $800 plus per month for parking at least, it's not problem. I'd personally pick the West Village and commute up to Columbia on that budget.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:24 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
It's a shame you won't have any friends in college. Part of the college experience is living in a dorm, because THAT is where you'll find your friends, who are going through the same thing you are. If you like riding the trains back and forth, be my guest, but you'll be a lonely guy. The friends you make in college are more than likely the friends you'll have the rest of your life. Why not TRY it for a semester? You MIGHT actually like it!!!

I went to Columbia and if you want to do well, you're going to have to work harder than you seem to want to.

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-10-2008 at 05:38 AM..

Old 03-10-2008, 07:01 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
well downtown is more fun, but, like someone said, you won't feel connected to your campus. i'd live closer to columbia. and there's plenty to do there as well.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:35 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcon0 View Post

You probably work for their parents, LOL!

BTW have you been living under a rock? Have you not noticed all these teenagers and early 20s people in Manhattan and figured out how they can afford the rent here?

Everything is being razed and turned into banks, boutiques, and condos so the trust fundies can live, shop, and get their money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City