Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 01:39 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Did you read what I said earlier about Irish culture and pubs or did you just ignore that? There are quite a few cultures that I can think of that have what you would call "gathering places" for people to get together and socialize. In the Irish culture, the pub represents that, and yes they serve alcohol, but that doesn't mean that everyone going to the pub gets hammered. Finally, you clearly did not walk the entire stretch of Katonah because there is not a pub on every block. The closer to Yonkers you are it becomes more residential, so for that reason alone, you need to visit again, and please go somewhere outside of Katonah Avenue. Van Cortlandt Park encompasses the western part of the neighborhood, and Webster Avenue is also charming in parts with lots of green. The area overall if family-oriented, not some place where drunkards walk around at all hours. You yourself admitted that you didn't notice anyone acting out of order during the time there, and what you experienced is what I have experienced at all hours of the day and night. Have there been issues in the past? Yes, but is it a daily thing? No.
I wonder how many issues there have been in the past and how often there is alcohol related violence or disturbances of the peace?

I do understand that not everyone goes to a pub to get hammered, but the Irish and Irish-American community does have a higher rate of alcoholism. (if not the highest).
Along with this comes a lot of social problems (difficulty with employment, schooling, violence, relationships, criminal justice involvement, as well as alcohol-related medical problems, etc.)

I find it hard to believe that a neighborhood with that much drinking does not have a lot of social problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 01:47 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I wonder how many issues there have been in the past and how often there is alcohol related violence or disturbances of the peace?

I do understand that not everyone goes to a pub to get hammered, but the Irish and Irish-American community does have a higher rate of alcoholism. (if not the highest).
Along with this comes a lot of social problems (difficulty with employment, schooling, violence, relationships, criminal justice involvement, as well as alcohol-related medical problems, etc.)

I find it hard to believe that a neighborhood with that much drinking does not have a lot of social problems.
Well as I said, go and make more visits and see for yourself. Other places to see in addition to more of Woodlawn, Morris Park and Pelham Bay:

-Bay Ridge
-City Island
-Pelham Parkway
-Forest Hills
-Kew Gardens
-Middle Village

Old 06-01-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Well as I said, go and make more visits and see for yourself. Other places to see in addition to more of Woodlawn, Morris Park and Pelham Bay:

-Bay Ridge
-City Island
-Pelham Parkway
-Forest Hills
-Kew Gardens
-Middle Village
Thanks. I'd love to see City Island and Pelham Parkway.

I've been to Forest Hills - it's nice and seems really clean, green, and even with cleaner air than much of NYC.
I've only been through Kew Gardens briefly, I'd like to explore it more.

I heard Middle Village is pretty sleepy. If I go here, where should I explore.

I went to Bay Ridge once, explored for the whole day (considered an apartment there). It's nice enough, but not my speed.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:27 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
I live in what's considered a off radar neighborhood, I like it. Safe, and quiet at night. Basically no trains near me and only a few bus lines.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I live in what's considered a off radar neighborhood, I like it. Safe, and quiet at night. Basically no trains near me and only a few bus lines.
I'd love to check out Glendale.
And Maspeth as well.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:21 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
It is a very tough question to answer, because every boro has that feel, and you basically look to where the train is not close by, 2 fare zones. every neighborhood has the middle class feel, with more homeowners than renters. So basically , many single/two family neighborhoods, 15 minutes + walk/bus ride from the train line.

there are way too many neighborhoods to list, for that reason.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:24 AM

42 posts, read 48,474 times
I'd add Woodhaven and Richmond Hill in Queens to that list. Particularly the sections north of Jamaica Ave. They're both safe, affordable and under the radar. I live by Forest Park in Woodhaven with my husband and children. We're very happy here.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:36 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I'd love to check out Glendale.
And Maspeth as well.
The main drag for Glendale is Myrtle ave. For Maspeth it is Grand ave, and for Middle Village it is Metropolitan av. They are all the same avenues that run into the trendy part of Brooklyn, without the trendiness.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
The main drag for Glendale is Myrtle ave. For Maspeth it is Grand ave, and for Middle Village it is Metropolitan av. They are all the same avenues that run into the trendy part of Brooklyn, without the trendiness.
Sounds nice!

Old 06-02-2017, 07:37 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
College Point in Queens. Going down that main strip feels like going through the main strip of a New England town that was really diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City