Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 10:50 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
When are you coming to NYC? If you plan on taking public transportation to an airport hotel or the airport itself, please note that there are changes in the subway system on late nights and weekends. Make sure that the trains you need to travel on are going where you need to go. I believe that Amtrak is doing repair work during the time that you are traveling so if you are going to be using them to get to NYC, make sure that Amtrak hasn't rescheduled the train.

Where will you be arriving in NYC? It's still kind of sketchy around the bus terminal in Manhattan late at night/early morning. The train station is a little better but I haven't been there at the time you might be coming in. If you are arriving late you might just want to head straight for the airport or your hotel.

General question- is the airport open 24/7 like it states on the website? Say the OP arrives at 3:00am- will he be able to enter the airport and get checked in? I know that some terminals might be opened for people making connecting flights or got delayed or stranded. Do most airlines have crews working the graveyard shifts to process people?
Arriving in NYC lower Manhattan on Saturday night around 2-3AM. Then I will head straight for JFK. Just wanted to know if its safe to hop a Subway and take it all the way to JFK without getting mugged or intimidated at those hours. If not, I can Uber or Cab. Just trying to save money because traveling is expensive enough as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 11:20 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times
Take a taxi after hours. Do not think you and potential drunks/high people, and tired working class would mix well.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:20 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,337 times
Arrive later and take the LIRR fron Penn station to Jamaica. Select the city ticket option. On weekends the fare is $4.50 for a 18 min ride from Penn Station to Jamaica. Then take the air train from Jamaica to JFK. this is a much quicker , cleaner and more reliable route to the airport than the A train to the air train. Don't ride the subway for 2 hours to save $5. Bring a travel pillow and a comfy blanket and find a spot inside the terminals to camp out until your flight. Tons of people do this.

Or airbnb. U can find places in the immediate vicinity for under $100.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:02 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,177,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Arriving in NYC lower Manhattan on Saturday night around 2-3AM. Then I will head straight for JFK. Just wanted to know if its safe to hop a Subway and take it all the way to JFK without getting mugged or intimidated at those hours. If not, I can Uber or Cab. Just trying to save money because traveling is expensive enough as it is.

I take it that you have opted for the bus not AMTRAK as Penn Station is not in lower Manhattan. Your best option then is to take a NYC cab out to JFK. Fixed price is (or used to be) $60 plus tip. I don't know if they can tack on a late night surcharge. I wouldn't take the subway in the wee hours of a Sunday morning.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:41 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Arrive later and take the LIRR fron Penn station to Jamaica. Select the city ticket option. On weekends the fare is $4.50 for a 18 min ride from Penn Station to Jamaica. Then take the air train from Jamaica to JFK. this is a much quicker , cleaner and more reliable route to the airport than the A train to the air train. Don't ride the subway for 2 hours to save $5. Bring a travel pillow and a comfy blanket and find a spot inside the terminals to camp out until your flight. Tons of people do this.

Or airbnb. U can find places in the immediate vicinity for under $100.
This is great info. I might do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: