U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:44 PM

2,689 posts, read 439,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ italian View Post
Ive been reading a couple posts on here before joining, and noticed alot of whining and finger pointing at yuppies, racial groups, different ethnicities, politicians, etc... thank YOURSELVES for destroying NYC. You decided to leave because you were greedy, wanted a big yard with a swimming pool in it, took for granted the culture and greatness of your city, sold your houses, and vacated your apartment buildings. thanks for abandoning your old homes, letting the character of your old neighborhoods die (especially the italian ones), and destroying new york. you people come on here and whine about the state u live in now, how the food sucks, how the people have no culture, and how it is boring. Congrats, u have achieved the american dream
ciao
yeah it's just terrible to want to get out a shoe box sized apartments on garbage strewn streets and crime ridden nabes with terrible schools and for what? a nice sized house surrounded by a lush green lawn on clean and safe streets where you kids might actually get educated in decent schools.
You keep your character, and while the culture in the burbs is different from your hood culture, it's a trade I'll gladly make. I'll give up so called good food for a much improved quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 10:03 PM

979 posts, read 2,459,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
I understand how the migration patterns work. Arthur Ave is currently becoming more Albanian, as much as we would like to see it stay an Italian market (since people regularly drive from Westchester, Connecticut, and well into New Jersey to come here) I respect the Albanian mom and pop entrance as they are doing a similar thing what we did years ago. What I do not respect is big box America. They are greedy pigs that are everywhere else in this country and feel the need to enter the "untapped" outer borough market. Big box America seems to follow gentrification.

I never said these places should be completely segregated. In fact I wouldnt want them completely segregated, I like a mix, but an excessive mix would be silly. Arthur Ave has practically no Italian residents today, and that is fine. But the great thing is they preserved it as a Little Italy for the Bronx as a destination, and hopefully it can stay that way for some time. Im mostly saying the places should be preserved at some level...first and foremost commercially maintained to protect the mom and pop shop owner from bland American chains, and then try to somehow encourage long time residents to stay because they help add character, and they should not feel forced out. Dont you find it nice when you can walk down a street and hear Portugese, Italian, Spanish, Albanian, Chinese, Indian being spoken by second and third generation Americans? It takes a community (even if the remaining population is minimal) and not just one family to do this.

Do you have a problem with people holding on to their roots as a second identity to being American? I find this is something that makes us all unique, remembering the ancestors that sacrificed themselves to make better lives for us by maintaining the cultural . When we integrate the city and make Woodlawn and Bed Stuy carbon copies of each other, why dont we just get rid of the Santa Rosalia Festival and the Puerto Rican Day Parade. Why dont we just strip every ounce of character out of New York, so New York will be more similar to Houston and Dallas?
Hmmm, Big box America' (chain stores?) is close to Arthur Ave, and that is along that shopping street called Fordham Road. And no, they are not there because it is gentrified. Blacks and Hispanics are still the majority there, not American Whites. There will always be room for 'Mom and Pop' places, which I guess you mean restaurants and eateries along Arthur Avenue and some side streets. Even expensive Manhattan, still have unique shops and restaurants. So again 'Big Box America' (chain stores) follows anyone really, not just whites.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:34 AM

2,806 posts, read 11,930,743 times
Well thats certainly looking at the glass as though its half empty.

Not all apartments are the size of shoe boxes, nor are all streets dirty/dangerous, nor are all of the schools bad.

For all of its faults I would much rather put up with the city than live in some sterile 'burb where I wouldn't know my neighbors and would be unable to walk to anything.

Plus you have to admit, the pizza and bagels are something to be proud of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
yeah it's just terrible to want to get out a shoe box sized apartments on garbage strewn streets and crime ridden nabes with terrible schools and for what? a nice sized house surrounded by a lush green lawn on clean and safe streets where you kids might actually get educated in decent schools.
You keep your character, and while the culture in the burbs is different from your hood culture, it's a trade I'll gladly make. I'll give up so called good food for a much improved quality of life.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:21 AM

2,978 posts, read 1,054,925 times
Mead you are right....the city is not for everyone...and neither are the the 'burbs. They both have their purpose, however more people are seeing the value of big cities, not just because of quality of life issues have improved dramatically in cities, but the costs of maintaining the unnecessary and large lush lawns, heating and cooling the 2,500 sf of living space, car payments/insurance on 2 cars, monumental gas prices for your traffic filled commute, and all the other debt slavery for a so called "improved quality of life in the suburbs." No thanks! I will take the 2 or 3 bedroom apt/condo, take easy mass transportation to work, not have a car, WALK to supermarkets, stores, parks, or other amenities, and see and interact my friends/neighbors that I actually KNOW and care about.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:17 AM

718 posts, read 1,582,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Mead you are right....the city is not for everyone...and neither are the the 'burbs. They both have their purpose, however more people are seeing the value of big cities, not just because of quality of life issues have improved dramatically in cities, but the costs of maintaining the unnecessary and large lush lawns, heating and cooling the 2,500 sf of living space, car payments/insurance on 2 cars, monumental gas prices for your traffic filled commute, and all the other debt slavery for a so called "improved quality of life in the suburbs." No thanks! I will take the 2 or 3 bedroom apt/condo, take easy mass transportation to work, not have a car, WALK to supermarkets, stores, parks, or other amenities, and see and interact my friends/neighbors that I actually KNOW and care about.
I do agree with you 100% on this.

Another big thing is that kids growing up in the city tend to be more street smart and prepared for life's challenges. You need thick skin, a tough work ethic, and good instincts if you want to make it in the world today, and having mommy cart you to soccer practice from your 3 acre mansion wont cut it. I find city life to be more valuable than a "wonderful school district" in the suburbs which actually makes the competition more cutthroat for a kid to get into a top college, adding stress. Ive seen kids graduate from "top 100 in the US" high schools and do nothing with their lives, so it is all relative.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:28 AM

16 posts, read 63,450 times
[quote=NJ italian;3089183]
Even the poorest people in this country live better than 70% of the rest of the world.[quote]

More like 95%. Even if you are poor here you have it better off then most of the world.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:39 AM

718 posts, read 1,582,912 times
[quote=Mkx2400NY;3102553][quote=NJ italian;3089183]
Even the poorest people in this country live better than 70% of the rest of the world.
Quote:

More like 95%. Even if you are poor here you have it better off then most of the world.

Agreed. There is no welfare in South America or Africa

Old 03-11-2008, 09:42 AM

Yes DITC..and we know what happens when these sheltered, "priviledged" kids grow up....they invade "our" perfect and idyllic ethnic communities in the city and turn them into havens for starbucks and AuBon Pain's...just so that they can earn some street credit and seem cool to their friends..right?

Old 03-11-2008, 10:25 AM

1,767 posts, read 4,161,302 times
Learn ethnic succession!

Old 03-11-2008, 10:39 AM

I agree Scatman...things change..communities change...that is what NYC is all about. So whether it is the Irish taking over a nieghborhood, or Jews, or Italians, PRs, Blacks, Dominicans, or as of late the "Hippies"...thats just the way it works..and no group has anymore right to an area than anyone else does. You know the only way to "preserve" an ethnic community? Make sure NONE of them sell!!! Problem solved. Otherwise, don't blame people for moving in and supposedly "ruining your neighborhood."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City