Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 08:20 PM

274 posts, read 297,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Poor people in NYC live in NYCHA or have various forms of subsidies. They can take care of themselves.
There are many families living pay check to pay check due to the high rent burden that are not in NYCHA or subsidized housing.

Quote:
As for rezoning, much of Upper Manhattan and the outer boroughs have been rezoned, and yes they those areas needed gentrification. Having so many poor people concentrated in certain decaying areas is not good, and was a form of government mandated segregration. Gentrification diversifies these areas both economically and racially/ethnically.
This is true in theory, but the problem is that there is not new housing being created for those being displaced. There is something seriously wrong with the affordable housing "lotteries" exceed 45,000 applicants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 08:36 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Most people can't afford to buy what they're renting, where are people supposed to magically find multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars to do so?
By living within their means. Don't complain about being "priced out" when you made a concious choice to live somewhere that a two bedroom rents for $5000 when you could have purchased for $450,000 somewhere else.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:24 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,466 times
All the poor do not live in Nycha. They live 6 people in 1 bedroom working minimum wage.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:44 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedguy2 View Post
There are many families living pay check to pay check due to the high rent burden that are not in NYCHA or subsidized housing.

This is true in theory, but the problem is that there is not new housing being created for those being displaced. There is something seriously wrong with the affordable housing "lotteries" exceed 45,000 applicants.
A number of New Yorkers move to other states and/or countries. Keeping in mind half the city's population is immigrants, and that transplants from other states have always moved here. So people go to wherever they think is good for them, which means other states and sometimes other countries.

NYC is but one city in the world and cannot house everyone who potentially might want to live here. Again there is no god given right to live in NYC.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
All the poor do not live in Nycha. They live 6 people in 1 bedroom working minimum wage.
This has been like that for decades, if not for centuries!

Old 06-05-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Most people can't afford to buy what they're renting, where are people supposed to magically find multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars to do so?
Fix your credit, get stable income, and you can buy if that is your goal. And again you are not entitled to live in the most expensive parts of town.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
By living within their means. Don't complain about being "priced out" when you made a concious choice to live somewhere that a two bedroom rents for $5000 when you could have purchased for $450,000 somewhere else.
Which is why I have little sympathy for fools whining about NYC being unaffordable. Some of these queens think they're all that and too good to live in the outer boroughs or upper Manhattan. Well if they don't want to do the outer boroughs or upper Manhattan it's bye Felicia!

I think the only reason why some people are so obsessed with downtown is they want to live around the block from their favorite clubs. It's really stupid when you let bars/clubs take over your life and make you spend money you can't afford (outrageous rents for example when you could have been paying mortgage, going back to school, or otherwise focusing on more important things).

And though I used to go more often, these days I don't. I know how to go to my friends houses and they know how to get to mine. Ironically, the downtown bar/club seen is a shadow of it's former self as gentrification has wiped out many of those ****ty places.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:11 PM

983 posts, read 932,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I was mostly referring to people who rent in the worst areas for 800/month and would never be able to afford to buy even in their poor neighborhoods. Do you think people who live in places like wakefield or brownsville can afford to buy anything there? I'm not talking about yuppies trying to live in chelsea.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:14 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
I was mostly referring to people who rent in the worst areas for 800/month and would never be able to afford to buy even in their poor neighborhoods. Do you think people who live in places like wakefield or brownsville can afford to buy anything there? I'm not talking about yuppies trying to live in chelsea.
The rents in those areas are signficantly higher now ; the price floor for Wakefield is like 1250.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:16 PM

983 posts, read 932,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Fix your credit, get stable income, and you can buy if that is your goal. And again you are not entitled to live in the most expensive parts of town.
"get stable income"

Aren't we in the middle of a jobs crisis? Just spitting out "get a job" has never made more jobs available.

Sure people can find a job working fast food, but that will NEVER get you enough credit or built up money to buy even in the worst of neighborhoods. The advice to buy instead of renting is fine for people who can afford it but it's an unrealistic pipedream for the people who would benefit most from it.

I do agree with part of your other post about being being stupid living in the village or whatever trendy neighborhood they can BARELY afford just because they want to be hip and social or whatever. Sure I'd love to live near Bleecker street and go to Murray's and Rocco's every day but I realize I'd outspend my income, so I live uptown. Some of my friends I knew back in high school, who make twice as much money as me, spent all their money and went back living with their parents because they had to live in greenpoint or whatever. Long term planning helps but it can't do miracles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City