U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 03:51 PM

86 posts, read 105,365 times

Advertisements

Electchester is still safe and perfectly fine. I do not feel unsafe in my neighborhood or threatened in any way. I love where I live. But it is GLARINGLY obvious where Electchester ends and Pomonok begins. You simply have to look across the street and it's like night and day. Very sad.

Whether they are black or white, the new people in Pomonok really have no regard for where they are living. It's a shame. Why can't NYCHA go back to having more stringent requirements? The way it's set up now is basically a free for all to make cities within a city comprised of a small minority of genuine working class people who want a nice place to live, with a majority of low lives. And I don't say this just because they are poor - lord knows the underprivileged need help and we should help them and people should have affordable housing. Something about NYCHA today just breeds violence and a sense of hopelessness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 07:40 PM

2,019 posts, read 2,359,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newforkcity View Post
Electchester is still safe and perfectly fine. I do not feel unsafe in my neighborhood or threatened in any way. I love where I live. But it is GLARINGLY obvious where Electchester ends and Pomonok begins. You simply have to look across the street and it's like night and day. Very sad.

Whether they are black or white, the new people in Pomonok really have no regard for where they are living. It's a shame. Why can't NYCHA go back to having more stringent requirements? The way it's set up now is basically a free for all to make cities within a city comprised of a small minority of genuine working class people who want a nice place to live, with a majority of low lives. And I don't say this just because they are poor - lord knows the underprivileged need help and we should help them and people should have affordable housing. Something about NYCHA today just breeds violence and a sense of hopelessness.
They are already getting help by being approved & allowed to move into Pomonok. But where does the helping end? At this point any help is basically begging as far as I am concerned. At that point they should step up & help themselves. Rent/Housing is the most major expense in life. That is covered for these people living in Pomonok & made cost affordable for them. But some have cars that cost them more than rent they are paying. System has to follow these people & find out where they get the money to pay for these cars. Because they are luxuries not necessities like housing is.

Seems once people are in the system these people seem to think they are entitled to even more benefits. And apply for everything else. Like food stamps & other things. Then don't work any legit on the books traceable income jobs. We see most of these people living like they have money but pretending to look poor to beat the system.

I see the cars around that neighborhood when we visit people we know that still live in the area. They seem to be able to afford these cars. And those fancy phones. My friends son was mugged for his phone while walking home from Queens College. They live in the Garden Apts on Parsons across from the 107th. He did not have fancy phone either. So they were probably disappointed.

Some are parking their cars in safer areas & not in Pomonok. Someone I know that lives in Pomonok actually rents a garage in Georgetown Mews across the street for $250 month. They are elderly & car is old. Have friends that have parents that still live in Pomonok. We try to visit when can. But I have a few friends with family still in Elechester & I agree. You can see the difference easily between the two.

I grew up in what was Campus Hall until it became Coops in the 80's & is now known as Georgetown Mews. Was great place to grow up. Not so much anymore. We had BBQ's in our courtyard on 152nd ST & played outside all the time. I do have some friends that still live in those apts. Handed down to them from their parents & they pay low rent. They want to leave but low rent keeps them there. They were at certain points offering thousands for people in the rent controlled apts to move. So they can rehab them & sell as Coops. In the 80's they were offering 20-30,000 to each tenant. A lot of money back then. Not sure if they still do that to the few left being that area surrounding it went bad thanks to Pomonok.

I say guidelines need to be set for these "projects" once people are approved to move in. And people must be told & in writing as part of a lease. That if they do not follow these rules they face eviction from NYCHA program. Maybe that message to the parents will do something to better area.

I remember when people living there used to take pride in the complex. We used to have gardens & everything. My best friend to this day. Her mom set up the gardening club there back in the 70's. Looking at their courtyard now on Kissena & Jewel disgusts us so much. The people living there should step up & not count on the NYCHA to keep it clean. It worked in the 70's & 80's. It can work now if they really wanted it to. But people these days don't care like they used to.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:32 PM

86 posts, read 105,365 times
My dad's friend--lived in Pomonok his entire life and who is still there--gardens in front of his building. Last week people stole his plants. HIS PLANTS OUT OF THE GROUND. They also took a sign he put up in the garden. Why?! Do hoodlums do a lot of gardening these days? Sigh.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newforkcity View Post
My dad's friend--lived in Pomonok his entire life and who is still there--gardens in front of his building. Last week people stole his plants. HIS PLANTS OUT OF THE GROUND. They also took a sign he put up in the garden. Why?! Do hoodlums do a lot of gardening these days? Sigh.
The do grow some stuff probably. But not nice flowers & veggies! I was told the ground keepers are ripping up stuff too by a friend that still lives in the same apt his parents lived in & the one he grew up in. He is permanently disabled so was allowed to keep apt after his parents passed away.

This is also where the problem lies here. They are telling tenants they can't do these things! Crazy! That works against people that want to help keep the grounds well kept as they can. They should allow residents to do things that beautify the grounds. They say they don't have the money to maintain what the residents plant. So I say let the residents that plant it maintain it. They say no that it costs them money they don't have to check up on things to see to it that it is in fact maintained. Yet seems they stopped cutting the grass & even picking up garbage. Guess they expect the tenants to do that! My friend posts pics regularly. Overgrown grass. Garbage. Playground areas filled with garbage & broken beer bottles. Well not many kids play outside anymore anyway. But they let these lowlifes take over Pomonok & destroy it.

My friend still bowls at Jib Lanes in the same league as always every Saturday night. She says walking home afterwards through Pomonok to where she lives in Georgetown Mews is bad after dark. Luckily they walk in a group.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:04 PM

21,635 posts, read 23,080,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
We are going to go way off topic here, but if it was a race thing, then there would be the same types and consistencies of violent crime in affluent neighborhoods, as well as poor neighborhoods. So it is not solely based on race, but it is based on class. All NYCHA got worse when they lowered their requirements for entry back in the 1960s. With Pomonok, they basically discriminated until the 1990s, and by then the quality of tenants in NYCHA had seriously deteriorated anyway. That's why Pomonok got worse, it's a little more complex than "they started letting black people in."

Furthermore, I believe another reason why Pomonok and the surrounding area got so bad is because the 107th Precinct historically was not used to dealing with that type of "clientele" lol, so obviously over time, they had to adjust....much different as opposed to a cop working in Far Rock, South Jamaica, or Queensbridge. By now hopefully they transferred some guys over who have experience working in more dangerous precincts, but before the early 2000s, there simply wasn't much crime in the area like that.

If it makes you feel any better, I think Forest Hills Co-op is like 99% white, that NYCHA is pretty much off limits to anybody not Jewish

Interesting how NYCHA can make an impact on a neighborhood though, I personally can't think of any neighborhood that has gotten worse in NYC like that since 2000. I haven't been to the area since the early 2000s myself. Back then it didn't seem bad, but then again my BS tolerance level is quite high. The grounds and common areas in Electchester to me were always clean and well-kept, only thing is that the apartments need renovation, they're outdated.
This is an eye-opener--do you have links to what you're talking about? It makes sense, but it'd be interesting to read the links to back this up. Is there documentation you can link that show the change in policy in both NYCHA and Pomonok specifically?

Old 08-12-2017, 12:21 AM

785 posts, read 376,151 times
I must be the worst native-born New Yorker EVER because I have never even heard of a place called Electchester or Pomonok.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
I must be the worst native-born New Yorker EVER because I have never even heard of a place called Electchester or Pomonok.
Wow really? We can't know everything. Even as native NY'ers. It is in Queens. Sort of Flushing but not near the downtown corridor most people think of when they think of Flushing. More near Kew Garden Hills area & across from Queens College. Which I am sure you heard of. Can't miss it of ever traveled through that area.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:50 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,261,101 times
So one apartment complex got worse while pretty much everywhere else in the city has improved (in terms of crime)

Old 08-12-2017, 01:53 PM

19,041 posts, read 34,041,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This is an eye-opener--do you have links to what you're talking about? It makes sense, but it'd be interesting to read the links to back this up. Is there documentation you can link that show the change in policy in both NYCHA and Pomonok specifically?
"But in the 1960s, “there was enormous pressure on NYCHA,” Bloom says, to admit poorer people, single mothers, welfare recipients and others whom the authority had avoided housing. The Welfare Department’s hotels were overbooked and costing the city a lot of money, so Mayor John Lindsay’s administration pressed NYCHA to alter its selection criteria. “In 1968, they basically changed the rules and almost immediately, the welfare percentage doubles to 35 percent,” Bloom says. Vandalism and crime increased, he says: In 1972, NYCHA replaced 188,000 panes of glass; in 1974, it spent $3 million to remove graffiti."

Chapter 2: The Life and Times of Public Housing | City Limits

"By the 1960s, NYCHA had made it harder for higher income tenants to stay and easier for the poor and homeless to enter public housing. In 1961, rent was capped at 25 percent of a tenant’s income."

Housing Generations | Life in the Projects: A Shift to Violence - WNYC

"New York City acknowledges that it has steered black and Hispanic applicants away from some public housing projects and has agreed to take major steps to integrate its largely white projects, under the settlement of a discrimination lawsuit to be announced in the next few days.

The city is to provide apartments for 2,000 black and Hispanic families who can show that they were victims of such discrimination in the last decade, officials said yesterday."

BIAS IS ADMITTED BY NEW YORK CITY IN PUBLIC HOUSING - NYTimes.com

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-12-2017, 01:57 PM

19,041 posts, read 34,041,392 times
So they came from the shelters....and I am willing to bet the farm that a good percentage were mentally ill....that should sum up why NYCHA in general is what it is today.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or