U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 08:40 PM

10 posts, read 5,601 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Pomonok. When my mother and I came here in the mid 90s, there weren't many other black families. Or so my mother says. I was only 3 when we came. Pomonok used to be really great. There were a bunch of kids in our court and we played outside late at night. We left our toys outside, our parents sat in front of the building and on the benches. We bbq'd even though it wasn't allowed lol. And then, a couple years ago, Pomonok started letting in a bunch of Brooklyn people from shelters. THAT was the turning point. And while I hate to stereotype, the people from Brooklyn are just horrendous. The black people in Pomonok from when I was growing up are NOTHING like the Brooklyn people who were let in. And even long-time residents of Pomonok say the same thing--once the shelter people from Brooklyn were allowed in, our beloved slice of tranquility in the city was gone forever. It's really sad because I have such fond memories growing up and now I see the people who live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 09:11 PM

2,019 posts, read 2,359,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickqueen View Post
I grew up in Pomonok. When my mother and I came here in the mid 90s, there weren't many other black families. Or so my mother says. I was only 3 when we came. Pomonok used to be really great. There were a bunch of kids in our court and we played outside late at night. We left our toys outside, our parents sat in front of the building and on the benches. We bbq'd even though it wasn't allowed lol. And then, a couple years ago, Pomonok started letting in a bunch of Brooklyn people from shelters. THAT was the turning point. And while I hate to stereotype, the people from Brooklyn are just horrendous. The black people in Pomonok from when I was growing up are NOTHING like the Brooklyn people who were let in. And even long-time residents of Pomonok say the same thing--once the shelter people from Brooklyn were allowed in, our beloved slice of tranquility in the city was gone forever. It's really sad because I have such fond memories growing up and now I see the people who live there.
All the people I know that still currently live there are the elderly parents of the friends I grew up with. Except for 1 guy that was permitted to stay in his parents apt after they passed away due to permanent disability. They have all lived there going back to the 1960's & 70's. So they have lived there for decades. It used to be so nice there. Everyone got along great.

I am still very close friends with several people that lived in Pomonok that I knew since the 70's. Two of them are black guys. Two of the nicest guys you can ever meet. As was their whole family. One of these guys is actually now the Chief of Operations/Recreation of NYC Park & Recreation Dept. I remember he used to clean all the garbage & parks growing up & always dreamed of working for the Parks Dept as a kid. Always kept Pomonok clean on his own honestly. Used to make sure that 165 Park was always free of garbage. Started working at Astoria Pool at 16 so he could help his family pay for things.

So he went for his dreams big time. So you can make a great like for yourself & succeed greatly no matter how or where you grew up. Even in the projects as they like to call them. But seems the ones there now are lowlifes.

And I did not live in Pomonok ever. My family lived in the garden apts off Jewel & 152md St.

They all say pretty much the same thing you have.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 114 times
Pomonok is not going down because of people of color, it’s declining because mayor Bloomberg removed all the funding out of NYCHA. I lived in Pomonok for 7 years and I can assure you the nasty and disgusting people were not black nor Hispanic.

Last edited by Grandma Hollywood; 04-13-2019 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: Left out a word

Old 04-15-2019, 06:38 AM

3,112 posts, read 770,692 times
As bad as things may be ( it's all in the eye of the beholder ) no one should complain.
There are thousands of people willing and ready to line up for a 2 bedroom apartment with all
utilities and parking including for approximately $1,000 a month.

Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM

1,853 posts, read 494,360 times
My mother lives there now and was on the waiting list for about 5-7 years prior. It sucks and she's looking to move out but of course for a retiree it's cheap. The rent goes up when your income goes up. If I lived there I would be paying the same as my RS apartment which is closer to the city. It would be of zero benefit paying the same RS rate and living further out. So all they will get is old retirees, trade workers and entrepreneurial immigrants.

Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM

1,853 posts, read 494,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma Hollywood View Post
Pomonok is not going down because of people of color, itís declining because mayor Bloomberg removed all the funding out of NYCHA. I lived in Pomonok for 7 years and I can assure you the nasty and disgusting people were not black nor Hispanic.
There has been Black and Hispanic in Pomonok for 30+ years already. It's the fact that there are no jobs for these delinquent youths who are often kids of non-English speaking immigrants. Hardly unique to that area this is all over Queens.

Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

1,504 posts, read 888,946 times
Another thread proving socioeconomic-ism is alive and well in NYC.

Old Today, 02:13 PM

540 posts, read 83,970 times
Those are the projects by Queens College right? That's an extremely spread out area. It's very hard to get out of areas like that, and Co Op City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or