U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,837 times

Advertisements

I've been a resident of Electchester for 19 years. Was originally in a two bedroom in Third Housing. I had to volunteer for almost 9 years to get a three bedroom apartment for my daughter and son. Of course, if I knew the right person, I would have been in quicker. Now that the kids are gone, I figured I'd be a good cooperator and release my apartment to a family. I contacted the office and wrote a formal letter to let them know that I was interested in moving. No word for months and then I got a call asking me to come in right away (even if I didn't have the paperwork necessary) - I should have known something was up. Went through the signing of some paperwork and discovered that now they are charging people who decline an apartment - $300 from Housing and $500 from Management - and unbelievably - now you're not allowed to see where you're going to live. The implication is that if you don't sign, you can't move - and furthermore, moving expenses (even if you're downgrading) are around 7-8 Thousand dollars. Well, I never signed that paperwork, but was able to see the apartment they were offering - what a complete misrepresentation of a two bedroom - and the building - filthy - I 've been told is the Worst in Third Housing. The next day I called and declined - and was promptly charged $500 on my next statement (which I have not paid) - And am being charged a $50.00 late fee every month I don't pay. So, since I've been told by their secretary that this was an amendment voted in by the Board of Directors - and amended by the Commissioner of Housing - I asked for a copy of the amendment. I was told that they don't have a copy (?) - what? a professional management company does not have a copy of an amendment which they claimed was sent to every cooperator? Hmmmm something is amiss...be careful what you sign -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 07:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,883 times
What building did they show you?

Old 06-08-2017, 08:09 AM

1,949 posts, read 2,064,850 times
Your situation is the epitome of the phrase "No good deed goes unpunished."

Old 06-08-2017, 08:44 AM

2 posts, read 7,837 times
Default Electchester is not what it use to be

I saw an apartment at 65-90 160th Street - 5L - and yes, I am being penalized because I declined to live in that filthy building and because I will not live in an apartment that I've been told I have to take. It's called quality of living.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:37 AM

86 posts, read 109,876 times
I'm sorry this is happening to you, Curlycit! That is atrocious. If I were you I'd contact the media... if you think they are really pulling your chain and lying to you, why not? I, too, live in Electchester (lifelong resident) and was unaware of this. No good deed goes unpunished, I guess.

For what it's worth I live near your building (same housing too) and have found that Electchester is getting better over the years. There was a time about maybe 10 or so years ago where they were really letting in some riff raff and the buildings were becoming disgusting. Now they're doing such nice landscaping, putting in new elevators, etc. It's a wonderful place to live.

Pomonok, however, is getting way worse. I am so sad for Pomonok.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:13 AM

3 posts, read 6,055 times
generally the neighborhoods of pomonok/electchester in south flushing are filled with riff raff and are not nearly as safe as they used to be unfortunately, the area is very mixed and diversity is a strong suit of it, but if have ever walked around or been to the street fair in electchester itself you can see it has a large black & hispanic population and pomonok has been on the very steep decline too in terms of people they let in, luckily there hasn't been too much violence lately

Old 08-10-2017, 07:47 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,404,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkJew718 View Post
generally the neighborhoods of pomonok/electchester in south flushing are filled with riff raff and are not nearly as safe as they used to be unfortunately, the area is very mixed and diversity is a strong suit of it, but if have ever walked around or been to the street fair in electchester itself you can see it has a large black & hispanic population and pomonok has been on the very steep decline too in terms of people they let in, luckily there hasn't been too much violence lately
Several years ago they (Pomonok) were accused of violating civil rights & favoritism & discrimination & were forced to start approving ONLY minorities to move in. That was about 6 years ago. At the same time Pomonok started to go downhill fast once they started approving ONLY minorities.

I will dig up that article that was ran about this & post it.

I grew up in area & left in 89. But not in Pomonok or Elechester. But in the garden apts near Jewel & Kissena. Many people I know still have their elderly parents living there in Pomonok. They said it is nothing like it used to be & they can not even safely go out after dark anymore.

And they have been rapidly trying to force people out of the larger apts & into smaller ones in Pomonok now if their household has downsized. Very bad for elderly people as it is not easy for them to just up & move. While I agree with that philosophy since there are many families desperately needing 2 or 3 BR apts for them & their kids. It is leaving elderly people in dire position. As they are usually alone & have no help or funds to move. They claim they will pay to move you to another apt. But they do NOT promise it will be in same NYCHA complex. Can't blame elderly alone people for not wanting to be uprooted to an area they are not familiar with.

Here is one article about it. But looking for the one someone sent me about 6 years ago which was very in depth article about this topic.Will post when find.

http://www.adversity.net/c28_pomonok.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/07/05/ny...in-queens.html

http://www.timesledger.com/stories/2...rchive643.html

Last edited by loribell38; 08-10-2017 at 08:04 AM..

Old 08-11-2017, 12:15 AM

86 posts, read 109,876 times
Pomonok is honestly disgusting now. And seriously, if it means someone will call me a racist, so be it (I know what I am and I know I am not racist--I'm just speaking plainly): it is not a coincidence that the city forced Pomonok's hand in letting only minorities in and that is when crime has started to spike. I used to be able to walk in Pomonok as a young girl at all hours of the day and night with friends, and when I went to Queens College I could cut through from Electchester without fear to get to class. I have lived in Electchester all my life, and my grandparents lived on Parsons Boulevard directly across from Pomonok. My aunt lived right across the street from me on 160th. My mom and dad grew up in Electchester too, with many friends who grew up in Pomonok, and my family still are the original tenants of my grandma's apartment where my brother now lives. Believe me, we've seen the changes in the neighborhood.

Now it's really sad. You see kids beating each other up, people fighting, people throwing trash, trash strewn about. They just don't care. You used to see people outside sitting on benches or playing cards or sitting on lawn chairs chatting. People *knew* everyone. Not anymore.

I don't know if it is a class thing or a race thing, but I definitely believe there is a culture of violence that exists in poorer minority communities that is just not there in the poorer Jewish and Italian and other European American communities that traditionally lived in Pomonok. I have absolutely NO problem with a diverse neighborhood. I love black people and love all people of color. If you are respectful, I will respect you back and your skin color is immaterial to me - but you cannot sit here and tell me with a straight face that something isn't up.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:18 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,404,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newforkcity View Post
Pomonok is honestly disgusting now. And seriously, if it means someone will call me a racist, so be it (I know what I am and I know I am not racist--I'm just speaking plainly): it is not a coincidence that the city forced Pomonok's hand in letting only minorities in and that is when crime has started to spike. I used to be able to walk in Pomonok as a young girl at all hours of the day and night with friends, and when I went to Queens College I could cut through from Electchester without fear to get to class. I have lived in Electchester all my life, and my grandparents lived on Parsons Boulevard directly across from Pomonok. My aunt lived right across the street from me on 160th. My mom and dad grew up in Electchester too, with many friends who grew up in Pomonok, and my family still are the original tenants of my grandma's apartment where my brother now lives. Believe me, we've seen the changes in the neighborhood.

Now it's really sad. You see kids beating each other up, people fighting, people throwing trash, trash strewn about. They just don't care. You used to see people outside sitting on benches or playing cards or sitting on lawn chairs chatting. People *knew* everyone. Not anymore.

I don't know if it is a class thing or a race thing, but I definitely believe there is a culture of violence that exists in poorer minority communities that is just not there in the poorer Jewish and Italian and other European American communities that traditionally lived in Pomonok. I have absolutely NO problem with a diverse neighborhood. I love black people and love all people of color. If you are respectful, I will respect you back and your skin color is immaterial to me - but you cannot sit here and tell me with a straight face that something isn't up.
Agree totally! We still have some friends like I said that live there now. So they see the changes too. One friend has a son that was mugged once walking to & from Queens College for school a few years back. And he is a big athletic type most people would not want to mess with.

We had a reunion recently of Pomonok people that lived there in the 70's. They did a film called Pomonok Dreams. We had a showing at Queens College a few years ago. In fact I believe they told me they have another showing this Saturday at the Queens Museum in Flushing Meadow. Cool film. Check it out. I know most of the people in the film. Al is a great guy. We also have several FB groups & pages as well. Was a great area to grow up in. Wish it had not changed so much.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2273800

‚€˜Pomonok Dreams‚€™ looks back at past - Queens Chronicle: North/Northeast Queens News

POMONOK DREAMS: The Movie|POMONOK DREAMS

Old 08-11-2017, 07:47 AM

19,434 posts, read 34,496,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newforkcity View Post

We are going to go way off topic here, but if it was a race thing, then there would be the same types and consistencies of violent crime in affluent neighborhoods, as well as poor neighborhoods. So it is not solely based on race, but it is based on class. All NYCHA got worse when they lowered their requirements for entry back in the 1960s. With Pomonok, they basically discriminated until the 1990s, and by then the quality of tenants in NYCHA had seriously deteriorated anyway. That's why Pomonok got worse, it's a little more complex than "they started letting black people in."

Furthermore, I believe another reason why Pomonok and the surrounding area got so bad is because the 107th Precinct historically was not used to dealing with that type of "clientele" lol, so obviously over time, they had to adjust....much different as opposed to a cop working in Far Rock, South Jamaica, or Queensbridge. By now hopefully they transferred some guys over who have experience working in more dangerous precincts, but before the early 2000s, there simply wasn't much crime in the area like that.

If it makes you feel any better, I think Forest Hills Co-op is like 99% white, that NYCHA is pretty much off limits to anybody not Jewish

Interesting how NYCHA can make an impact on a neighborhood though, I personally can't think of any neighborhood that has gotten worse in NYC like that since 2000. I haven't been to the area since the early 2000s myself. Back then it didn't seem bad, but then again my BS tolerance level is quite high. The grounds and common areas in Electchester to me were always clean and well-kept, only thing is that the apartments need renovation, they're outdated.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 08-11-2017 at 07:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or