Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 01:40 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,444,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
The disproportionate arrests are a problem! I would like to know the average age range of the persons arrested. An in a city where there may be serious income disparity, should this not be addressed?

I'm down the middle on this! Yes, pay the fare, (I've seen a whole lot of 'able-bodied' hop on the back of the Bx36!), but certain people, like the elderly or disabled, should get more of a break than already in existence. ($2.75 isn't a bargain for everyone!) Even the reduced rate could be a problem for an elderly on a fixed income! And is five cops ticketing an old lady with a walker a good look?

Or maybe black men are just committing this crime disproportionately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 05:06 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,594,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Brightpoint Health?
What is Brightpoint Health?

Old 06-09-2017, 06:18 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I do believe that the city should have a program for real low income folk to subsidize their NYC Transit expenses! I have no problem with non-profit organizations giving out free Metro Cards to folk who really need them!

I do believe folk should be paying the fare! BUT....

I feel for the elderly woman I saw on Fordham Road with a walker, getting a ticket for a no-fare entry on the Bx12 Select! Why five, count it, five, transit cops were necessary for ticketing an old lady with a walker, beats me! Folk like that, even with the reduced elderly fare, may still have a hard time affording the elderly half price!

However, if you are a young, 20-30 something, able-body who has the ability to get a job, should I have much sympathy for you if you evade the fare?

$2.75 is *already* the subsidized fare. That doesnt come close to covering the cost of operations.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:13 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,230,460 times
I ride the buses in the Bronx alot and fare evasion is a big issue. People just go in the back door when people are exiting. It drives me mad. Not only are they getting on for free but since they get on the bus before paying customers, they take the seats. So the people who are paying, spend money and get no seat

Another thing people do is have like 4 metro cards and keep trying them when they are all empty, finally the bus driver gets over the whole thing and waves go through to them.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:44 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I ride the buses in the Bronx alot and fare evasion is a big issue. People just go in the back door when people are exiting. It drives me mad. Not only are they getting on for free but since they get on the bus before paying customers, they take the seats. So the people who are paying, spend money and get no seat

Another thing people do is have like 4 metro cards and keep trying them when they are all empty, finally the bus driver gets over the whole thing and waves go through to them.
That just aint the Bronx, thats any hood in NYC you'll see people not paying

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-09-2017, 08:43 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,647,268 times
I have a real, real problem with this on the Select buses. I think the Select buses are something of a scam, anyway. They're touted as a big benefit but:
1. It's a ploy for fewer buses and fewer drivers.
2. It creates a difficult, even dangerous, situation where a driver has no idea what's going on in the back.
3. There are fewer stops than the limited buses, making it less convenient.
4. They do not seem to be substantially faster than limiteds, despite the hype.

However, beyond that:
5. I find it deeply disturbing to see these cops who somehow remind me of Nazi jackbooted thugs demanding to see people's papers.
6. I find it disturbing to see the hugely disproportionate punishments for possibly evading a measly $2+ fare.
7. It's a situation where someone can easily simply lose the receipt.
8. There's are aspects that are totally irrational - such as even fining a person without a receipt who is carrying a monthly pass.

This seems like a perfect example of a societal system that cracks down on inconsequential infractions, but major white-collar crooks get away with metaphorical murder.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:15 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I have a real, real problem with this on the Select buses. I think the Select buses are something of a scam, anyway. They're touted as a big benefit but:
2. It creates a difficult, even dangerous, situation where a driver has no idea what's going on in the back.

However, beyond that:
5. I find it deeply disturbing to see these cops who somehow remind me of Nazi jackbooted thugs demanding to see people's papers.
6. I find it disturbing to see the hugely disproportionate punishments for possibly evading a measly $2+ fare.
8. There's are aspects that are totally irrational - such as even fining a person without a receipt who is carrying a monthly pass.

This seems like a perfect example of a societal system that cracks down on inconsequential infractions, but major white-collar crooks get away with metaphorical murder.
1. If fewer buses and drivers can serve the same number of riders, that's fine by me. I don't see the MTA adding so many more regular buses that would make it less crowded. A packed articulated bus is just as bad as a packed regular bus.

2. I don't quite understand this comment. Subway conductors can't see in the back of the train too, but that doesn't make it dangerous.

3. It depends on where you're getting off.

4. No personal experience with limited vs select, so can't say too much. What I will say is that I wish they'd enforce the bus lanes more heavily. Having a car standing in the bus only lane defeats the purpose of having select bus route.

5. Opinion I don't have a comment on.

6. What's the punishment? $100? If it's not substantial, how would you deter people from doing it again?

7. Agreed. In other cities I've been to, they use smartcards that you just tap on the machine to pay. The inspectors randomly come around with a handheld device and check your card to see if you paid. No receipts.

8. I think this is enforced more because more of logistics and limits of the system than anybody else. If unlimited MetroCard customers didn't have to get a receipt, how would they check who has paid or not? It's easy to get a receipt, so why not just get it?

Old 06-10-2017, 05:33 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,669,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

However, beyond that:

I don't think the SBS is 'a scam'. I do believe the intention was to create a quicker ride, and to reduce interaction between customer and driver, for the safety of the driver, due to a lot of dangerous incidents.

The problem is that the SBS (particularly the Bx12) is too overcrowded, on a Fordham Road and 207 Street which has too much traffic. (Gametime and Friday afternoon, lookout!). As someone suggested, enforcing the bus lanes may be a good idea (either making the bus lane on Fordham Road and 207 Street a 24 hour lane, or extending the bus lane time from 7pm!)

The disproportionate crackdowns are a problem. Five cops ticketing an elderly with a walker is a lot of resources, to say the least!

Old 06-10-2017, 04:15 PM

31,887 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post

*That* needs to stop!

Far too many bus drivers do this even if person has made only one attempt. That or they fall for whatever sob story (I should have a transfer...., I thought I had money left on the card...).

MTA and or NYPD needs to start putting more inspectors/officers on buses to catch fare evasion. Drivers also should be monitored for compliance regarding fare being paid. Recall very well back in the 1980's and 1970's bus drivers would routinely stop a bus, turn off the engines and not move until those who did not pay either did so or exited.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:44 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
*That* needs to stop!

Far too many bus drivers do this even if person has made only one attempt. That or they fall for whatever sob story (I should have a transfer...., I thought I had money left on the card...).

MTA and or NYPD needs to start putting more inspectors/officers on buses to catch fare evasion. Drivers also should be monitored for compliance regarding fare being paid. Recall very well back in the 1980's and 1970's bus drivers would routinely stop a bus, turn off the engines and not move until those who did not pay either did so or exited.
Am told others see the same thing. Drivers are told "don't be confrontational with passengers", but if the line has a lot of deadbeats, they will have to go out of service, stopping the bus and turning off engine or whatever. Catch 22.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City