Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 06:03 PM

77 posts, read 64,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
Check out the city mapper app to see if that helps. It looks up different routes and estimates travel times based on the MTA bus time and also takes into account planned subway service changes. Not perfect but it has helped me out a lot when subways are down.

The q60 and q32 buses can be slow because they make a lot of stops. The subways will almost always be better if they're running normally.
... and thanks for mentioning that app, I'm going to check it out now. Another app that I find invaluable is the app called "Bus NYC". You enter your favorite stops and it tracks bus movements and tells you exactly how far the bus is from your stop. I know that MTA already has something similar regarding bus times, but I find this app much better and it lays everything out in a much better way. And yes, I constantly check mta.info too for train delays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 09:50 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Another option might be the A train to Rockaway Blvd, and taking the short bus ride up Woodhaven from there. You can also transfer to the J/Z at Broadway Junction as an alternative.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:21 PM

77 posts, read 64,737 times
So I just found out that QM15 **also** stops and picks up passengers at 57th St / 6th Ave. So I walked to 57th St / 3rd Ave in sweltering heat for nothing, when I could've waited for the bus at 57th and 6th. This is what I mean when I say this is so confusing. There are so many details to work out, find out --- it's exhausting. If you're looking at the main schedule timetable published here: http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm015cur.pdf -- they don't tell you that 57th St / 6th Ave is actually a pick up stop. You have to use magnifying glass and read the fine print to find that information.... CRAZY!

Old 06-13-2017, 03:42 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfilipov View Post
So I just found out that QM15 **also** stops and picks up passengers at 57th St / 6th Ave. So I walked to 57th St / 3rd Ave in sweltering heat for nothing, when I could've waited for the bus at 57th and 6th. This is what I mean when I say this is so confusing. There are so many details to work out, find out --- it's exhausting. If you're looking at the main schedule timetable published here: http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm015cur.pdf -- they don't tell you that 57th St / 6th Ave is actually a pick up stop. You have to use magnifying glass and read the fine print to find that information.... CRAZY!
Am here to tell you they do. Am referring you to page 5 of QM15 PDF file that says "QM15 Bus Stops To Howard Beach/Lindenwood Pick-up Only".

Old 06-13-2017, 03:59 AM

782 posts, read 527,280 times
I never used those timetables for directions ever. The subway ones are also limited. You can just look up the directions using the tripplanner function on the MTA website. Or call the MTA and speak to a live person (I don't know what the number is but call 311 to find out).

Or just download that citymapper app I mentioned. It contains a ton of information including exact bus stop locations and approximate walking time for transfers. For the subways, it will even tell you which part of the train (front, middle, back) is most convenient to make transfers.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:16 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfilipov View Post
I think there's also some other bus (Q32) that I need to explore that also may go Manhattan-Queens (from Roosevelt/Jackson Hghts?)
The Q32 is a local bus route that has stops in Manhattan - going to Queens on Madison Avenue, then on Queens Blvd in the Sunnyside area and then turning and running along Roosevelt Avenue. (It doesn't stop near the Queens Center Mall.)

Old 06-13-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The Q32 is a local bus route that has stops in Manhattan - going to Queens on Madison Avenue, then on Queens Blvd in the Sunnyside area and then turning and running along Roosevelt Avenue. (It doesn't stop near the Queens Center Mall.)
OP would take the M57 to the Q32 to the Q53 to get home. Sounds like an adventure.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:50 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
OP would take the M57 to the Q32 to the Q53 to get home. Sounds like an adventure.
Would think QM15 would be easier since OP took it before. Am thinking if price is too much for OP, could consider a weekly pass for $59.50. Found this on MTA website:

7-Day Express Bus Plus MetroCard
Cost: $59.50, no reduced fare
Good for unlimited express bus, local bus, and subway rides until midnight, 7 days from first use. This card is protected against loss or theft when purchased at a vending machine with a credit or debit/ATM card.
Note: PATH, AirTrain, and Express buses do not accept 7- and 30-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard.

MTA/New York City Transit - Fares and MetroCard

As easy as pie. OP, if font is too small, enlarge it.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:08 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I agree that Queens should have more options for transportation. I used to date someone in the Astoria area, and remember either waiting for the N/R/W forever (don't remember which line but it was the yellow-forever-taking-train line), or losing patience and getting out of the train station and taking a cab into Manhattan (where I live) instead.
What a nightmare.

Queens should have express buses: There should be some that go all the way to Ditmars, and to Corona, etc.

Although I do wish you Queens people the best of luck with all that bridge traffic. This weekend I went to view an apartment, and coming back into Manhattan on the M60 bus was a complete traffic nightmare! I thought the M60 was a better option instead of the N/R, but nope! Same stressful commute, different year!
RNQW -> The Rarely, Never, Questionable, and Why
DNR -> Do Not Ride
QB -> QuarterBack

I get bored easily at work lol

Old 06-13-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Would think QM15 would be easier since OP took it before. Am thinking if price is too much for OP, could consider a weekly pass for $59.50. Found this on MTA website:

7-Day Express Bus Plus MetroCard
Cost: $59.50, no reduced fare
Good for unlimited express bus, local bus, and subway rides until midnight, 7 days from first use. This card is protected against loss or theft when purchased at a vending machine with a credit or debit/ATM card.
Note: PATH, AirTrain, and Express buses do not accept 7- and 30-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard.

MTA/New York City Transit - Fares and MetroCard

As easy as pie. OP, if font is too small, enlarge it.
It is (except for on Sunday), but I thought we were trying to supply the OP with all possible transport options in the event the system fails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City