U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:42 PM

29 posts, read 71,810 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I was just trying to get together some information as far as the monthly fees of everything of living in a bourough near manhattan such as brooklyn or queens or long island or something. As far as I think, going with a 2 br apartment would run me somewhere around $1200 a month. Internet and basic cable around $60 and groceries around $200 a month perhaps. What other costs would exist, maybe electricity or water I'm not sure if most apartment's rent cover utilities or not. I guess the cost of laundry if there isnt a washing machine in your apartment but that would be cheap to go to the laundromat I guess. So I am guessing $1500 a month for each person in a 2 br apartment assuming there is no car which I will not be bringing to new york city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 06:21 AM

7,081 posts, read 24,836,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMusto0223 View Post
Hey guys I was just trying to get together some information as far as the monthly fees of everything of living in a bourough near manhattan such as brooklyn or queens or long island or something. As far as I think, going with a 2 br apartment would run me somewhere around $1200 a month. Internet and basic cable around $60 and groceries around $200 a month perhaps. What other costs would exist, maybe electricity or water I'm not sure if most apartment's rent cover utilities or not. I guess the cost of laundry if there isnt a washing machine in your apartment but that would be cheap to go to the laundromat I guess. So I am guessing $1500 a month for each person in a 2 br apartment assuming there is no car which I will not be bringing to new york city?
Two bedrooms near Manhattan are going to be more than $1200 each month unless you find an amazing deal. Internet and basic cable will be more, maybe around $75, and you need a telephone, too. Most apartments don't have washing machines or dryers. Some buildings have pay laundry in the basement but some don't. Electricity and gas aren't covered in your rent and are extra. And in the summer, without air conditioning (which you'll have to supply with an air conditioner if there's no central A/C) your electric bill will be higher.

If you can eat for $200/month, congratulations. Not many can. Health care is also costly, including dental care. You might want to look around this board some more to get an idea of costs. Remember, transportation isn't free, either. If you want to go somewhere, it's the bus or subway, if you're in NYC.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:41 AM

218 posts, read 495,734 times
Hi there... your question almost exactly copies my own... NYC is number one on my list of places to move to, but the cost is very high, so I am waiting. But one option to seriously consider, ESPECIALLY if you want to live in or near Manhattan, is forgetting the whole apartment... rent a ROOM. You can do that in parts of Manhattan for $700 a month.

I don't need cable or wi-fi, so that part does not enter into my own figures, but you WILL need about a $45 - $50 dollar allowance monthly, for a MetroCard, or Taxi fare. If you know how to budget your food, you should be able to survive with about a $150 a month food bill (pure groceries, NOT take-out, or fast food) , and laundry is also not a major concern.

One area where you WILL probably end up spending a lot of money, is in your entertainment budget... NYC is overflowing with stuff to do, see, and buy.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:18 PM

7,244 posts, read 12,142,590 times
monthly unlimited metrocard is $81.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:40 PM

274 posts, read 779,090 times
[quote=BruceAdama;3104196]Hi there... your question almost exactly copies my own... NYC is number one on my list of places to move to, but the cost is very high, so I am waiting.

Short of another terrorist attack, Manhattan prices aren't coming down any time soon.

But one option to seriously consider, ESPECIALLY if you want to live in or near Manhattan, is forgetting the whole apartment... rent a ROOM. You can do that in parts of Manhattan for $700 a month.

Don't forget to budget for replacing everything you own when your room gets burglarized.

Even rooms in Harlem cost $1000+/mo.

I don't need cable or wi-fi, so that part does not enter into my own figures, but you WILL need about a $45 - $50 dollar allowance monthly, for a MetroCard, or Taxi fare.

MetroCard is $81. No need to worry about taxi fare because you won't find any in neighborhoods that rent $700 rooms.

If you know how to budget your food, you should be able to survive with about a $150 a month food bill (pure groceries, NOT take-out, or fast food) , and laundry is also not a major concern.

Are you joking? High real estate prices are passed on by the grocery stores to your grocery bill.

Unless you plan on eating lots of ramen noodles and stealing fastfood napkins for toilet paper, less than $40 a week isn't going to cut it.

I picked up 5 small, incidental items (not even enough to make a meal) at the grocery store the other day and it cost me almost $20.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:58 PM

36 posts, read 92,117 times
I spend about 600 dollars a month on food for my wife and I. Includes freshdirect, lunch at the corner store, coffee here and there, eating out twice a week.

If you don't cook as much you will probably still spend a lot. When I was single I still spent about 500 dollars on food.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:09 PM

7 posts, read 33,855 times
O.k. then with the high cost of living what is the common minimum wage in the New York City area. I know out in Washington it was 7.50 or so and in Wisconsin it is only 6.50. I also lived near Seattle for awhile and a small one bedroom there ran about 1200 a month and I thought that was expensive. I really enjoy my $700/month luxury apartment now

Old 03-11-2008, 02:46 PM

10,526 posts, read 11,369,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceAdama View Post
Hi there... your question almost exactly copies my own... NYC is number one on my list of places to move to, but the cost is very high, so I am waiting. But one option to seriously consider, ESPECIALLY if you want to live in or near Manhattan, is forgetting the whole apartment... rent a ROOM. You can do that in parts of Manhattan for $700 a month.

I don't need cable or wi-fi, so that part does not enter into my own figures, but you WILL need about a $45 - $50 dollar allowance monthly, for a MetroCard, or Taxi fare. If you know how to budget your food, you should be able to survive with about a $150 a month food bill (pure groceries, NOT take-out, or fast food) , and laundry is also not a major concern.

One area where you WILL probably end up spending a lot of money, is in your entertainment budget... NYC is overflowing with stuff to do, see, and buy.
This is very misinformed advice.

I don't know of anywhere at all in Manhattan where you can rent a room for $700, unless you are talking about way way uptown in a really ghetto, dangerous area.

You'll need $80 monthly for a Metrocard alone, not $45-50.

$150 a MONTH food???? Unless you are eating strictly Top Ramen, that's not happening. I'd say more like $300-400/mo for 1 person and that is shopping very conservatively.

Laundry is a not a major concern? It is a BIG concern in the city! You're going to have to pay for it, there are very few places with laundry in unit and they are super expensive. You're going to either shelp everything to the laundromat and pay, or pay for wash and fold.

I'd say a more reasonable estimate would be:
Decent 2BR in Outerboro or suburb $1500+
Basic Cable and Internet: $70/mo first year, then will go up to about $100+
Electric/Gas/Utilities: $75/mo
Travel: $100, $80 for Metrocard, at least $20 for cabs
Groceries/eat out: $300-400/mo. VERY conservative Estimate
Laundry: $20/mo (if not using wash/fold)

Old 03-11-2008, 03:43 PM

7,244 posts, read 12,142,590 times
Also "not needing cable or wifi" translates to not having internet access -- doesn't it? I guess you could spend the same money instead on having a land line and getting service thru the phone line, but that adds up too. I don't know very many people who are willing to forgo internet access at home.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:52 PM

29 posts, read 71,810 times
Well here are just a few apartments i just looked up on craigslist in sunset park which i think have heard is a decent area and they are $1200 for the first 2 and $1350 for the last apartment listing

2 bedroom apartment in Sunset Park Brooklyn (broken link)
6av/50st , 2nd flr rear, quiet, clean 6 family house (broken link)
Perfect*Under MartketValue*Steps2SunsetPark*3Stops2City*NO FEE!!!!! (broken link)

Anyways so I should expect for each of us to spend around $2000-$2200 a month if I were to move in to a 2 br with a buddy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City