Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 04:17 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
So I went to Webster Hall on Saturday night and had a pretty good time. It is one of the last superclubs left in NYC and I thought it was pretty cool.

But I read that the venue is changing ownership, and closing for about a year and a half for renovations. I see on the Wikipedia page that the place will be renamed to Spectrum Hall and will be strictly for concerts and sporting events when it reopens.

If that's true, that's super lame, it will basically just be an Applebee's with concerts.

I'm not sure if it's true or not, does anyone here know?
It looks like Websterhall just got sold. The family that owned the establishment sold the structure for about 35 million dollars. You see, clubs in NYC also do not generate revenue in the long run. This is why clubs in this city come up short and don't last long. This is also another reason why small lounges are taking a foot hold in the NYC club scene. Small lounges are easier to manage and not as cost effective as larger venues. I befriended a guy who owned a club for 2 years that sat in the space where Lavo is today. He said clubs do not make money here in NYC. The reason why Lavo makes money is that Lavo has club chains across the country. Lavo in Miami and Vegas helps pay the rent in Manhattan. With the end of Websterhall, this night club scene in NYC is officially dead for the average Joe and Jane. If you are the average Joe, just hop on a plane to Vegas or Miami for a good time.

Former Webster Hall owner’s ex suing for piece of club profit | Page Six
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 05:02 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
American clubs today is for posers. American DJs mostly travel overseas for bigger scene and better crowds.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:42 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It looks like Websterhall just got sold. The family that owned the establishment sold the structure for about 35 million dollars. You see, clubs in NYC also do not generate revenue in the long run. This is why clubs in this city come up short and don't last long. This is also another reason why small lounges are taking a foot hold in the NYC club scene. Small lounges are easier to manage and not as cost effective as larger venues. I befriended a guy who owned a club for 2 years that sat in the space where Lavo is today. He said clubs do not make money here in NYC. The reason why Lavo makes money is that Lavo has club chains across the country. Lavo in Miami and Vegas helps pay the rent in Manhattan. With the end of Websterhall, this night club scene in NYC is officially dead for the average Joe and Jane. If you are the average Joe, just hop on a plane to Vegas or Miami for a good time.

Former Webster Hall owner’s ex suing for piece of club profit | Page Six
No way Webster Hall is not profitable. They have concerts pretty uch every night in addition to being a club 3 nights a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
American clubs today is for posers. American DJs mostly travel overseas for bigger scene and better crowds.
Webster Hall is not one of those pretentious bottle service clubs. People just go to have a good time.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:54 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
The big club scene went out when Peter Gatien got deported! It's a lounge city, now!

I was always a Club Savage, Nell's, Pulse, Bentley's and Shadow cat! Webster Hall, Tunnell, Limelight, Paladium, Sound Factory (the big one on the west side, not Sound Factory Bar in Midtown) and Club USA were a bit too big and over the top for me.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:27 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Sad to see a piece of NYC history go. I had been to the studio downstairs in Webster Hall for rock and metal shows and that little room had that old school feel also.

The dive bars will be next. Everything is new and sanitized. Places like the Mars Bar was a right of passage to go to, where there was a possibility you would never be the same upon leaving between the crazy patrons, cheap booze and dirty counters.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:27 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
i have never seen a show there

Old 06-22-2017, 07:21 AM

782 posts, read 859,145 times
Always liked seeing punk/metal shows at Webster. They had those more intimate layouts where there's no barricade between the crowd and stage...always makes for a fun show. Kinda like Lamour back in the day. I don't know of too many new venues are are like that.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:50 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
Webster Hall was always the commercial club even way back in my time. Not surprised they're still running.
was the place where teenie boppers could get in because to drink they gave people special wristbands so even if they couldn't drink they could hang out anyways (and pretty much do every party drug while they were there)

Old 06-22-2017, 01:34 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
The big club scene went out when Peter Gatien got deported! It's a lounge city, now!

I was always a Club Savage, Nell's, Pulse, Bentley's and Shadow cat! Webster Hall, Tunnell, Limelight, Paladium, Sound Factory (the big one on the west side, not Sound Factory Bar in Midtown) and Club USA were a bit too big and over the top for me.

Big club "scene" was already dying by the time PG got what was coming to him; it was helped along by Rudy G's "nuisance abatement" laws and changing tastes.

The "bottle bar" concept had already been imported to New York City by Jeffrey Jah and Mark Baker in a modest way at the Tunnel. Steve Lewis and Jeffrey Jah would take things further with when Life opened on Bleecker Street.

Slowly but surely the A-list crowd began to forsake huge clubs of old in favor of more intimate spaces such as Life. By the last years of operations most of the large clubs were pretty much abandoned by the "trendy" crowd absent special events.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:18 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
doesn't look like they are going to have an edm show anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City