Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 05:22 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespra View Post
Upon further research, it seems that most homes that don't require flood insurance are definitely not in my range when factoring in safety considerations. I didn't realize the amount of condos and private communities staten island has. With that being said how would you feel about a property like this? https://www.trulia.com/homes/New_Yor...sland-NY-10306 This is ridiculously close to the beach and I'd imagine that insurance would go up 10 fold. Finally caught on to what airborne guy was pointing out. Am also wondering when the next hurricane sandy will hit.

Do yourself a favor pal; forget that property and consider something a bit more simple. *LOL*

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5608...7i13312!8i6656

For the record IIRC John Clacker is or was the owner of this place:

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...-3-years-later

New Dorp Beach was heavily damaged by Sandy (look at the Goggle street view link I posted; you'll see the water is just down the street/back yard).

As such it is almost certain not only does that Neutral Avenue property require FI, but likely the homes need to be raised. Fact that 29 Neutral is being offered as an "investment/income" instead of strictly for sale tells me that the home as currently constructed cannot be lived in; and must be raised.

Have friends who themselves and or family members live out in New Dorp Beach and area, it isn't pretty.

New Dorp itself is another matter: but even post Sandy there have been and still are issues:
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/r...y.html?mcubz=0

Staten Island Sunday: Sights and scenes in New Dorp Beach | SILive.com

Many of the old homes built south of Hylan blvd were summer cottages/shacks that never were meant for year round living (for obvious reasons). However over the years that is what they became, and worse developers piled on more housing. This again despite warnings from locals who knew that even during a mild rain storm the place floods. Then and now smart people didn't or don't buy below Hylan Blvd.

If you ever fly over that part of SI you'll notice it looks much like New Orleans; a low lying area mostly of wetlands. Mother Nature knew what she was doing for hundreds of years before anyone even thought of moving out there. Early settlers and the Indians before them knew as well. But by the 1980's certain people had to have their taste and development out there zoomed.

I remember when Staten Island Hospital first moved out there; it was pretty much empty, that as in the 1980's. Went to take a family member out there in the late 1990's and couldn't believe how much development took place. Yet when it rained, people got flooded, that should have been their first clue.

Long story short (again) after superstorm Sandy taxpayers forked over pre-storm value for many homeowners who really had no business being out there to begin with. Developers pushed (and politicians lined their pockets from) the idea that developing homes south of Hylan gave families a chance at owning a home they could "afford".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 05:34 PM

OP, again am suggesting you do yourself a favor; reach out to one of the excellent local real estate people out on the Rock. Heck they may offer to pick-up and drop off you and your family at the ferry.

We here can tell you any and everything, but you really need to work some shoe leather and see SI for yourself. Since you don't drive this will be a bit more difficult, but it has to be done one way or another.

This and or try to find someone with a car willing to drive you out and around Staten Island. There are some excellent restaurants and other attractions so you can make a very good day of things.

We here know nothing about you, and that is as it should be; but what I or anyone else may consider a "good area" of Staten Island may or may not be up your street.

Finally strongly suggest if you are seriously considering moving to SI that you (again) learn how to drive. Living on SI with a car dramatically opens up all sorts of options, which is why the place has the highest rate of vehicle ownership in NYC.

If you truly wish or must remain a not driving/vehicle owner, again suggest you look at certain north or east shore areas. Saint George, New Brighton, Rosebank, etc.... These are areas with an easy walk to the ferry and or good bus or even train service. Bay Street from Saint George onto Rosebank is coming up. Rosebank is actually a very nice area, though don't know if you'll find anything in your budget range.

Yes, there are parts of New Brighton, West Brighton that you should stay out of, but again if you know where to look there are some very nice areas that are perfectly "safe".

Many people turned up their noses at Saint George and New Brighton just a few years ago, now are kicking themselves because they cannot get anything down there for their price.

People without the preconceived notions about North Shore have and are moving to areas like Saint George with no problems.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:43 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,735,728 times
New Dorp Beach Is a great area. I lived there for 12 years. Hylan Plaza was becoming skell haven but now that they are in the midst of renovating it into a world class mall most of the cockroaches have scattered. That part of Staten Island is the last place you need a car. New Dorp lane has every thing you need. There are three large shopping plazas, several strip malls and New dorp plaza for shopping. The train is within walking distance. The express bus is on Hylan. It's a wonderful place to live. I loved it there. I missed living there for 6 months or so than I got over it. Had I not had a family and needed a larger home I would have not left.

Last edited by LGR_NYR; 06-30-2017 at 09:53 PM..

Old 06-30-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Are there any areas that don't require flood insurance? I've heard that can be very expensive. New Dorp Beach area seems to require.
Not the entire area. I was 5 blocks from the beach and zone A goes around me. I was also t the highets point of the area too. We did not flood or lose power during Sandy.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Upon further research, it seems that most homes that don't require flood insurance are definitely not in my range when factoring in safety considerations. I didn't realize the amount of condos and private communities staten island has. With that being said how would you feel about a property like this? https://www.trulia.com/homes/New_Yor...sland-NY-10306 This is ridiculously close to the beach and I'd imagine that insurance would go up 10 fold. Finally caught on to what airborne guy was pointing out. Am also wondering when the next hurricane sandy will hit.
Those homes were old beach houses that were never meant to be lived in full time. Those blocks off Cedar Grove and Cedar Grove itself were hammered and devastated.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:37 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Flood map.

https://maps.nyc.gov/hurricane/

Old 07-01-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Seriously thank you for this detailed response. It's such a relief to hear from natives of the "rock" haha. I've been mostly going by truilias rating system of crime in the area. It seemed like last year was a great time to buy in SI. I've seen plenty of homes purchased last year in the 300-500 range in the New Dorp Beach Area.
You have lots of things going on affecting the real estate market on SI.

First and foremost the financial/credit crisis has pretty much ended and people can get mortgages again and or feel comfortable buying. For many New Yorkers Staten Island still represents their best shot at home ownership.

Two, the whole "underwater/foreclosure" thing is bottoming out and or at least migrating as rising home prices on the Rock has brought those "underwater" properties above the water line. Yes, some people did over extend themselves and paid far more than their property will ever be worth, but that is what it is.

Other things include more and more people from Manhattan and other parts of the city "discovering" Staten Island, or at least are willing to consider the place with an open mind. This and you have the city pushing to make the "forgotten borough" that no more; by this mean the various real estate, zoning and other projects pushed by BdeB and among others Debbie Rose.

Some more links for you:

Staten Island’s influx of Manhattan realty firms has residents raising gentrification concerns | am New York

Rosebank being reborn as a real estate hot spot | SILive.com

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...-avenue-amazon

Top 10 projects boosting Staten Island real estate values | SILive.com

How far will hot North Shore real estate market spread? | SILive.com

SOLD! See the stunning rise in price of 10 Staten Island homes | SILive.com

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/5/1/15436...-price-changes

For the average "middle class" New Yorker, SI is probably one of the few places left they can buy a home. This is why you see so many FDNY, DSNY, NYPD, Corrections, and other city workers out on the Rock.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post

Note to OP; Neptune Street and thus the property you were interested in falls right smack dab in an evacuation zone. So my guess about the home being sold as an "investment/income" property instead of outright residential likely was correct. That home probably needs to be raised in order to get flood insurance.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am here to say that the OP should consider West Brighton. Depends on the OP's budget, but am certain they could have some options based on what they've shown thus far.

Can tell you New Dorp Beach and basically most areas in the vicinity require it. Only a few searches on Google and you're certain to find various stories or whatever on Sandy.

Only really bad parts of West Brighton are west of Bement Avenue (from Richmond Terrance to Henderson), and perhaps above Henderson to Castleton from Elm Street past Broadway/West Brighton Houses onto Alaska Street. Anything above Castleton from Broadway east towards Bard/Saint Vincent's hospital going along towards I.S. 61 is fine.

Davis and Bard avenues from Henderson to Richmond Terrace are starting to get a bit sketchy as the element from the west slowly encroaches, but people over there seem to be determined not to let bad elements take hold.

West Brighton above Castleton up to Forest from Broadway going east is still very nice. As one understands Sacred Heart is still a good school, as is Saint Peter's for Boys.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
New Dorp Beach Is a great area. I lived there for 12 years. Hylan Plaza was becoming skell haven but now that they are in the midst of renovating it into a world class mall most of the cockroaches have scattered. That part of Staten Island is the last place you need a car. New Dorp lane has every thing you need. There are three large shopping plazas, several strip malls and New dorp plaza for shopping. The train is within walking distance. The express bus is on Hylan. It's a wonderful place to live. I loved it there. I missed living there for 6 months or so than I got over it. Had I not had a family and needed a larger home I would have not left.

Am going to miss that Kmart, but hopefully what goes in there will be better and help bring back the neighborhood.

Kmart closing in New Dorp to make way for $150M upgrade | SILive.com

More stores closing in Hylan Plaza to make way for $150M mall | SILive.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City