Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 07:17 AM

782 posts, read 526,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I once lived in a stabilized apartment. The apartment was a whole $50 less than the prevailing rent for the area. Don't assume the rent is cheap. Isn't stabilized defined as under $2000? It may have gone up in the past few years.
According to the NYS Division of Housing and Community Renewal, roughly 31% of rent-stabilized apartments are being charged preferential rents (levels lower than legal rents). So these are more or less market-rate apartments.

https://www.propublica.org/article/r...apped-zip-code
https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...June-2017.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 07:50 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
If you can't afford $500, which I'm assuming is less than 1 months rent, then you don't have enough nest-egg built up to really afford to live without constant fear or something going wrong.

It's a stabilized apartment, you own it just about as much as your landlord does.

I'm not advocating your landlord shouldn't fix it... likely it's worth his doing, but I'm pointing out that this system is keeping you in place and maybe it's not the best for you.
Am in agreement. If one can't afford such a small item, would be better off leaving or whatever.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:03 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
According to the NYS Division of Housing and Community Renewal, roughly 31% of rent-stabilized apartments are being charged preferential rents (levels lower than legal rents). So these are more or less market-rate apartments.

I'm not really clear what this means. But I do know that if there is any churn at all, or any upgrades in the apartment at all, the rent can be legally raised. I knew someone with an apartment in Bushwick that was stabilized. Their rent was $2000, five years ago, and that was totally legal.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:30 AM

782 posts, read 526,848 times
Quote:
I'm not really clear what this means. But I do know that if there is any churn at all, or any upgrades in the apartment at all, the rent can be legally raised. I knew someone with an apartment in Bushwick that was stabilized. Their rent was $2000, five years ago, and that was totally legal.
Sorry, I wasn't clear why I posted that link. I was agreeing with you that just because an apartment is rent-stabilized, it does not automatically mean that the tenant is paying below-market rents.

For every rent-stabilized apartment, there is a maximum legal rent that is calculated based on the turnover, the capital improvements to the individual apartment as well as the whole building, and the rate increases set by the city each year. However, some landlords are not charging that maximum legal rent. They are charging a lower amount called the preferential rent.

The data shows that 31% of all occupied rent-stabilized apartments in NYC are being charged preferential rents. Most likely, these preferential rates are in-line with market rents because why wouldn't the landlords charge more when they're legally allowed to? So these apartments are behaving more like market-rate apartments where the landlord is really charging whatever the market can bear. And upon lease renewals, the landlord can raise the rent up to the maximum legal rent.

As for the other 69%, I would guess most are below-market rents but it's hard to say how many. Some might not be too far off market rates. I think some people don't get that in many cases, these rent-stabilized apartments are older and not as well-maintained. So you kind of get what you pay for. The rents might be below-market, but the apartments may also be in below-average condition.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:57 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear why I posted that link. I was agreeing with you that just because an apartment is rent-stabilized, it does not automatically mean that the tenant is paying below-market rents.

For every rent-stabilized apartment, there is a maximum legal rent that is calculated based on the turnover, the capital improvements to the individual apartment as well as the whole building, and the rate increases set by the city each year. However, some landlords are not charging that maximum legal rent. They are charging a lower amount called the preferential rent.

The data shows that 31% of all occupied rent-stabilized apartments in NYC are being charged preferential rents. Most likely, these preferential rates are in-line with market rents because why wouldn't the landlords charge more when they're legally allowed to? So these apartments are behaving more like market-rate apartments where the landlord is really charging whatever the market can bear. And upon lease renewals, the landlord can raise the rent up to the maximum legal rent.

As for the other 69%, I would guess most are below-market rents but it's hard to say how many. Some might not be too far off market rates. I think some people don't get that in many cases, these rent-stabilized apartments are older and not as well-maintained. So you kind of get what you pay for. The rents might be below-market, but the apartments may also be in below-average condition.
I think the whole problem is that a few idiots don't understand the difference between stabilized and subsidized and seem to think the OP is not paying as much rent as they are and it bothers them.

Why a landlord would be charging a preferential rate is that it might not be possible to keep the building fully rented at the market rate. When conditions are more favorable, all they have to do is pull the preference and the apartment, with the next renewal, becomes market rate. If the tenant can't pay it, they get to move and the landlord can get the full rent.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:09 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I agree with Cida. I do not think the mere presence of rust triggers a landlord's obligation to replace. (Metal cabinetry is SO terrible a product, so 1950's.)
Chava, beg borrow or steal for replacement wooden cabinetry, even presswood, especially if you are going to be there for 10 or 20 years.

Alternatively, if needs must, you can work small wonders with some sandpaper and a spray can of Rustoleum.

Don't let the landlord replace it as a capital improvement...you will pay through the nose.
Thanks for the suggestions about the sandpaper and Rustoleum. The building is undergoing other capital improvements. So I have had already MCI in my rent and at least 2 more are expected for the fixing of the bldg. roof/facade (which is already finished but the scaffolding remains) and the upgrading of the hot water system. The reason I brought up the rusty sink cabinet is because last week, the hot water system was upgraded in my apt. and they took out the kitchen sink/cabinet and put it back in place afterward. But in the bathroom they replaced my complete toilet and as well as the shower faucet/taps/head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am in agreement. If one can't afford such a small item, would be better off leaving or whatever.
$500 plus removal/installation fees are not a small item in an apt. that I do not own especially when my income is irregular. When one suggests leaving, I am wondering where a person who has never met me suggests I go?!

Quote:
My rent is slightly below market rate for my area but still not cheap at at all. Even though there was officially a rent freeze for the last 2 years, my rent still went up at the end of last year due to a MCI for a bldg. burner that happened 2 years prior to that which I didn't even know had been replaced.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:27 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:

DHCR is in collusion with landlords by not enforcing the rent stabilization laws so that figure is likely BOGUS.
Quote:
However, some landlords are not charging that maximum legal rent.
And many are charging MUCH MORE and an inquiry to DHCR gets, after a couple years delay, "We have no data on that apartment."

Quote:
and they took out the kitchen sink/cabinet and put it back in place afterward.
Oh, what a crime. That means the removal and re-install will probably be paid by you as a MCR. Adding a new sink at that time would have been a small portion of the labor cost.

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-03-2017 at 06:45 AM..

Old 07-03-2017, 09:59 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I NEVER said/wrote that I can't afford my monthly rent. I simply can't afford to spend $500 to replace the sink and counter. Also even if I could afford it why would I do so in an apt. that I do not own?!

Actually I have cut myself a couple times on the razor sharp edges of the cabinet doors below the sink. But I never thought could make the landlord obligated to replace the whole unit. But now that the counter rust is peeling away and spreading (including to anything put on top of it for a significant amount of time), I was wondering if it could be considered a safety hazard that could obligate the landlord to replace it free of charge.

WHY?

I'M GOING TO TELL YOU WHY, BECAUSE YOU KNOW dam well YOU ARE NEVER GOING TO MOVE.

so since you are the one living there, pay for it and fix yourself, whats the big problem?

Old 07-03-2017, 10:10 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
$500 plus removal/installation fees are not a small item in an apt. that I do not own especially when my income is irregular. When one suggests leaving, I am wondering where a person who has never met me suggests I go?!
Oh I don't know... How about some place cheaper?! Do not need to *meet you* in order to make such a suggestion. If the math or whatever doesn't add up, then cannot see any other solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
WHY?

I'M GOING TO TELL YOU WHY, BECAUSE YOU KNOW dam well YOU ARE NEVER GOING TO MOVE.

so since you are the one living there, pay for it and fix yourself, whats the big problem?
Am in agreement. OP wants *NEW*, but wants to live in a below market apartment for the foreseeable future (aka forever), and then wonders why others are passing judgement. Can't have it both ways.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:07 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
WHY?

/thread

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City