Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 11:30 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times

Advertisements

Ok, so my friend and I were having a disagreement. She's in her 20's and a Colombia U graduate who's making $75,000+. She claims that if she were an American Citizen, she'd make more. I highly disagree! I think companies pay H1B's a lot more because they're forced to in order to hire non American citizens.

I have another friend who came from India, and who went to NYU Stern and is making over 200K in finance. She was an H1B who eventually became a US citizen. (This woman is older and thus more experienced).

When I was in my 20's I wasn't making the equivalent of my former example and although I didn't have a masters degree at the time, I did have a bachelors from an equally reputable school. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 11:41 AM

532 posts, read 786,777 times
LOL
not anymore with our current baby in the white house, you won't get a dollar now

Old 06-30-2017, 11:41 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Ok, so my friend and I were having a disagreement. She's in her 20's and a Colombia U graduate who's making $75,000+. She claims that if she were an American Citizen, she'd make more. I highly disagree! I think companies pay H1B's a lot more because they're forced to in order to hire non American citizens.

I have another friend who came from India, and who went to NYU Stern and is making over 200K in finance. She was an H1B who eventually became a US citizen. (This woman is older and thus more experienced).

When I was in my 20's I wasn't making the equivalent of my former example and although I didn't have a masters degree at the time, I did have a bachelors from an equally reputable school. What are your thoughts?
Move this over the political forms. This topic will have a field day, and will be a major bashing on stupid NYC liberals. Like San Francisco and other elite cities. NYC is an elite city and is depended on all sorts of labor, most importantly on labor from overseas where locals who don't want to do the work, to locals who don't have the experience or credentials to perform certain tasks. Me personally, I don't think she would have made more as an American citizen. She would have just made about the same income. She would have even made less if her credentials where not up to par like being an Columbia Alum. In some cases, business entities like H1b visa workers because they can pay mid range wages and get high performing work and talented work done. While in the meantime they make more corporate profits. You see this all the time with DC Ngo's and lobbying firms, NYC finance and banking entities, and last in the tech corridor of Redman WA and Silicon Valley.

Since the country might be moving to UBI, I would have employers pay a special tax on every H1B visa, and H1B visa holders will also have to pay a special tax as well. Thus the tax money will go into the coffers of the American government and helping to preserve Social Security.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:50 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Since the country might be moving to UBI, I would have employers pay a special tax on every H1B visa, and H1B visa holders will also have to pay a special tax as well. Thus the tax money will go into the coffers of the American government and helping to preserve Social Security.
Don't employers already pay a special tax on every h1B visa? Anyway, I think it's a good idea, if not.
What is UBI??

Old 06-30-2017, 11:53 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,237 times
It would be the same for other HB1 employees with the same comparable experience its based on work experience and the department and as you know including cost of living for said city, so someone moving to NYC would get paid more than someone moving to DE. Perfect example would be when I moved over from a different line of business same company and I got a 20k bump, had nothing to do with my degree, I had the same degree, it was mostly based on work experience. So let's say someone is moving from operations to compliance-legal position in the same city they would get a bump, not so much if that same position migrated to DE, which happens all the time. So your comparisons have a lot of factors other than just a degree from lets say NYU or Columbia. I know people with degrees from Baruch that get paid more than people with degrees from NYU if they are in sales-front office compared to someone with an NYU degree working in ops in NY, less in DE for comparable positions. To answer your question it would be the same, more or less based on experience for the same position regardless of being an HB1 or US citizen. Also forgot titles so if the HB1 has a title over a US employee that doesn't have one of course they would get paid more for the same position but the same for the US employee with the same title, but wait your in finance so you know all this.

Last edited by Ruready4Bklyn; 06-30-2017 at 12:23 PM..

Old 06-30-2017, 12:09 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Don't employers already pay a special tax on every h1B visa? Anyway, I think it's a good idea, if not.
What is UBI??
Universal Basic Income. I think they do pay a tax from what I recall, but I would also make H1B visa holders pay an additional tax as well.

Old 07-01-2017, 04:16 PM

343 posts, read 254,269 times
I believe immigration should be heavily controlled. I believe in most cases today USA natives should have those jobs.

Its nuts for any native born US citizen to WANT to keep giving up all of our resources for nothings day. And often they are giving those resources to people from other countries who openly do not like our country. And they are giving away resources to people from other countries who do not want to stay in our country?

Why dont we just give every immigrant a one pound bar of free pure gold from our reserves, and a free box of Cuban cigars? Thanks for hating our country, now let me take resources from my own children and give them to you instead?

You hate our country and want to detonate bombs in our skyscrapers and kill a bunch of USA citizens? And natives are supposed to just be cool with that and still want your BS "diversity"? B. S. I say Kick Them Out And Never Let Them Come Back.

For terrorism there should be heavy laws protecting our country from bad people. They should be arrested and encarcerated for even attempting to come in here. For these freebie job Visa's, I say suspend that program. We already have plenty of free loaders here and it is at the detriment of natives. Show me otherwise.

A lot of Americans are naive. There are bad people in the world. You do not want to give anybody free resources for "diversity". Gimme a break. This is Manhattan. It does not matter where you came from. Our colors of skin should not matter for Anything.

Last edited by FS22; 07-01-2017 at 04:24 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 07:53 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Universal Basic Income. I think they do pay a tax from what I recall, but I would also make H1B visa holders pay an additional tax as well.
We can't afford UBI. We have too much debt as it is. We'd have to run more efficiently first, which naturally, isn't what politicians want.

We should move towards NIT. Not UBI.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:13 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
I know a lot of H1Bs and yes most of them do make more than avg Americans especially those recent college grads.

The reason most college grads can't find a job because:

- Not enough vacancies.
- Boomers not retiring
- Automation requiring less entry workers
- H1B workers replacing need for entry full-time workers especially in specialized fields
- outsourcing jobs to external agencies is huge business

Back then companies spend thousands on college recruitment every year to lure college kids that are close to graduating.

Back in the 90s, if you were a junior and had 100 credits in. Many companies want someone like you who is close to graduating.

Today, they don't need college grads anymore but H1Bs fill their needs for the perfect employee.

1. They can't get benefits
2. They won't ask for raises and can't. A H1B person told me she wanted to ask for raise but her agency would not permit it or else they would stop sponsoring her.
3. They get paid by the hour and can't take paid vacations.
4. They have better math and science skills than most Americans.

You can thank Mr.Obama for pushing the open border policies that big companies want to bring cheap labor here easier.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:15 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I know a lot of H1Bs and yes most of them do make more than avg Americans especially those recent college grads.

The reason most college grads can't find a job because:

- Not enough vacancies.
- Boomers not retiring
- Automation requiring less entry workers
- H1B workers replacing need for entry full-time workers especially in specialized fields
- outsourcing jobs to external agencies is huge business

Back then companies spend thousands on college recruitment every year to lure college kids that are close to graduating.

Back in the 90s, if you were a junior and had 100 credits in. Many companies want someone like you who is close to graduating.

Today, they don't need college grads anymore but H1Bs fill their needs for the perfect employee.

1. They can't get benefits
2. They won't ask for raises and can't. A H1B person told me she wanted to ask for raise but her agency would not permit it or else they would stop sponsoring her.
3. They get paid by the hour and can't take paid vacations.
4. They have better math and science skills than most Americans.

You can thank Mr.Obama for pushing the open border policies that big companies want to bring cheap labor here easier.
H1B visa abuse has nothing to do with Obama's open border policies. Big companies have been exploiting the system from way before Obama came into office. These big businesses have the Chamber of Commerce, lobbyists and politicians on their payroll.

The H1B program should be strongly curtailed and only used in fields that have a dire shortage of workers (doctors, research scientists etc). I've seen firsthand at y job how a business abuse this system to the detriment of our fellow American workers. Why does a Big 4 accounting firm needs to bring in people on these work visas when accounting grads are a dime a dozen?

Not a Trump supporter but I would really love if he takes this problem seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: